PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo shoot

starmac
04-24-2015, 11:55 PM
15 buffalos had to be put down, bet this was a sad and expensive experiance for the rancher.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/15-loose-buffaloes-that-crossed-new-york-highway-are-killed/ar-AAbDzDr

blademasterii
04-25-2015, 12:04 AM
How long did it take to get the permits and paperwork for using a gun? Shouldn't they just have put up a no buffalo sign? Isnt there a buffalo new york? Should have let them lose in downtown. When they called for someone to hunt or put them down let them know in no uncertain terms that due to the laws in new york that was just not feasable and they would just have to deal with them as they are. :D

starmac
04-25-2015, 12:19 AM
The way I took it the owner had them put down, much, much better than getting someone killed, and cheaper too.

Col4570
04-25-2015, 12:39 AM
They share this Earth with us and require our respect as all Animals do.In events like this it is paramount that if putting down is necessary care must be taken to do it as humanely as possible.It is a pity that the Meat couldn't be used to partly justify their destruction.

starmac
04-25-2015, 02:08 AM
I bet some or even most of the meat was probably put to use, he just couldn't sell the meat, like he normally would.

w5pv
04-25-2015, 04:57 AM
If the meat was not put to good use,what a waste of good meat.

Plate plinker
04-25-2015, 07:50 AM
They are frisky critters. Have you ever been in the buffalo pen? They are exceptionally dangerous animals. You can not use dogs on them to move them, moving them on foot is not really a option either, this was really the guys only option. Bummer he lost out on $25000-$30000.

starmac
04-25-2015, 11:58 AM
They are about like hitting a brick wall with a vehicle too. The herd that lives on the highway right of way in Northern BC gets several hit every year, and it is usually a serious wreck.

Mk42gunner
04-25-2015, 12:45 PM
One of Dad's friends had four cows and one bull when I was a kid, forty plus years ago. This was just as I was really getting interested in reading about the westward expansion, wagon trains, building of the railroads across the plains, etc., so I was probably in the second or third grade.

I was amazed at two things I have never forgotten: 1. How small they were. They weren't twice the size of my Grandpa's Hereford bull. and 2. just how many fences they could go through, whenever they wanted to. I don't think Dad's friend kept them very long, but I do remember him and Mom talking about how the buffalo had gotten out again.

Too bad these were a monetary loss for the owners, but somehow I can see workers getting a lot of freezable gifts in the near future.

Robert

MaryB
04-26-2015, 12:36 AM
Knowing NY nanny state laws they will claim the meat is lead contaminated and can't be eaten...

w5pv
04-26-2015, 10:57 AM
We had a guy that lived about 10 miles from here that had a small herd that he used to raise what he called beefallo.I don't recall that any got out but the fence looked to be nothing more than barbwire.I would think he had a fence charger on fence that kept them inside.I know that the fence would not hold a buffalo if it so minded to escape.

starmac
04-26-2015, 11:08 AM
They do not make a fence that will hold buffalo, when they decide to roam.
I worked at the George foundation, which was a non profit ranch , where money was no object. They did not raise beef cattle at all, but had a herd of buffalo, a herd of longhorns, a herd of registered morgans and a herd of percherons.
Once or twice a year, the buffalo for no apparent reason would stampede. The best oilfield pipe fence welders could build would lay down when it seen the buffalo coming. lol

Beagle333
04-26-2015, 11:09 AM
The killing of the buffaloes, which were confined in a stream bed, turned chaotic at the start, with deputies detaining a hunter who refused their order to finish off one of the three buffaloes that were initially shot. Apple said the wounded animal was floundering in the water. "We wanted that animal down," he said, and the man continued instead to shoot blindly into the brush at the other retreating buffaloes.

I would have had a big problem with this fellow.

merlin101
04-26-2015, 11:23 AM
The way I took it the owner had them put down, much, much better than getting someone killed, and cheaper too.

I can't get over the numbnutz that comment on the article and didn't even READ IT! (not you starmac)
The owner had a good reason to put them down it's called public safety. Those buffalo could stand there not moving and watch you for hours and then for reason known only to them decide to stomp you. These 'poor critter' people haven't a clue but I'm sure would also be the first to scream and holler if one those critters had hurt a school kid.

MaryB
04-26-2015, 10:57 PM
Local city zoo has buffalo. They are behind a double fence and the posts are all welded up and bent from when the male gets aggressive and charges at a car driving by.

mnkyracer
04-27-2015, 12:42 AM
I missed an opportunity of a shooting a buffalo in a situation like this. Just north of Baltimore, several cows and calves and at least one bull got loose. Tore up some expensive horses on their way towards a development. Had my phone turned off while deer hunting and missed the call to come help put them down.

phonejack
04-27-2015, 10:07 AM
A few days earlier in Hot Springs, Ar. 5 got loose from a farm and were roaming thru a residential neighborhood. 4 were rounded up, one remains loose. None were killed.