PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to Camp Perry?

singleshotbuff
03-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Gentlemen,

As a shooter, I always wanted to go to the Mecca of high power shooting, unfortunately I lived several states away for most of my life. Now I've lived in Ohio for almost 11 years, and STILL haven't went to Perry!! I think I need to rectify that ASAP!!!

Is anyone else going to Camp Perry for the 08 National Matches?? I just want to go and observe, as I don't currently shoot high power. I thought it'd be great to meet a board member (or 2 or 12), and go to Camp Perry this summer.

Anyone going, either to watch or compete, please PM me. Maybe we can make a CastBoolits road trip outta it.

Thanks

SSB

Hip's Ax
03-13-2008, 07:56 PM
I'll be there for smallbore position and smallbore prone. Don't have enough vacation time to stay for high power or long range, I wish. :???:

Just go, commercial row will be there, if you haven't seen that before it will be hours if not days before the drooling subsides enough to be able to talk to any one! :-D

garandsrus
03-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Singleshotbuff,

I will be there for most of the CMP week and would be glad to get together with you.

If you have a Garand, Springfield, or other Mil Surp Bolt action rifle, you should enter the appropriate match. It only takes 1/2 day and is a lot of fun! It's also pretty cool to hear 120 or so guys shooting a rapid fire relay of 1200 shots in a minute!

John

Dave C.
03-14-2008, 10:10 PM
I'll be there for the conventional pistol matches.

Dave C.

brshooter
03-16-2008, 09:28 AM
Shot at the Nationals for 17 years straight, all ways had a good time. Found many good deals on Competitor Row over the years. One year argued with Winchester Tech reps. about the primers being rounded on the bottom making them too high to feed through a Star reloader. Wirhin a year's time, all Winchester Primers were flat on the bottom and they sent me 10 grand of LRP free.

Ken O
03-19-2008, 11:07 PM
I'll be there, not sure which phases though, probably CMP week, and Long Range week, and thinking on doing NRA HP, and SB prone.

If your spending the money for gas to go, why not shoot? CMP week would be the most active time to go, Comercial row is in full swing. So take your Garand, '03, or whatever you have and shoot.

The peak of attendence is the Garand match, after which seveal venders have free adult bevarges and food.

Here is the schedule: http://www.odcmp.com/NationalMatches.htm

Johnch
03-19-2008, 11:24 PM
I live 20 min away
So I watch and shop there several times every year

My eyes will not alow me to compete any more ( a focus problem )
But I enjoy watching guys that can

I drop a few $$ every year on stuff I just have to have LOL

John

Ken O
03-26-2008, 10:35 PM
John, I probably grew up real close to you. Wood county, between Millbury and Genoa, went to Lake HS.

jonk
03-27-2008, 11:07 PM
I will be there, shooting the carbine, springfield, vintage, and garand matches. I live in NE Ohio and have done it the last few years. Would love to hook up with some other guys from the various boards, shooting or not. :-)

SPRINGFIELDM141972
03-28-2008, 07:59 PM
I am going for the first time this year. My father and I will be going. This will be the first trip for him as well. Our trip will be the first time he and I have ever taken a vaction trip together. Funny how finding out that he ain't going to be around forever makes you re-think your priorities. Maybe I'll take the M1A and see how I stack up against the best this nation has to offer.

Regards,
Everett

singleshotbuff
04-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Gentlemen,

I finally firmed up plans with a couple of my shooting buddies for the trip(s) to Camp Perry.

We're going to go on July 20th and shoot in the .22 sporter match and also on Aug 1st and shoot in the vintage military bolt gun match (gonna shoot a mauser). May make another trip as well, but these are for sure at this time.

Anyone who'll be there on those days, and wants to shoot the breeze or share a meal, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks

SSB

NuJudge
06-23-2008, 07:33 PM
I should shoot Garand, Springfield, Vintage Military Rifle, and M1A match.

CDD

Rifleman
06-23-2008, 09:07 PM
I will be there to shoot the Garand match. First time to shoot, have been to the store in the off season. (just to look around nuthin ever followed me home [smilie=1::roll::-D)

Echo
06-24-2008, 09:57 AM
I went in '05. Figured I ought to go back once before I got too old. Waited too long. Shot the sorriest score I ever shot in my entire life. Unfortunately, I had my score card from my last trip there in '73 stapled in my gun box where I could see how good I was at one time. Shot a 2624 that time. Very discouraging. Eyes gone south, along with about everything else.
Another discouraging thing about Perry was that there were only about 400 competitors in the Leg/President's Match, and the top 100, or 25%, became members of the President's Hundred. Criminy. There were a couple of thousand in the match when I made it.
On the other hand, Vendor's Row was in full bloom, with many good buys. Always worth spending time there...
The best thing about the trip (Perry ain't what it was) was the stop going back at Oshkosh, where I volunteered at the AirVenture. There for two weeks, living in my '86 Holiday Rambler, my bride back home (she has seen me shoot, and has seen enogh airplanes), and had a great time.
And TODAY marks our 53rd anny!

garandsrus
06-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Ed,

The Presidents rifle match gets about 1400 competitors. I have no idea what the pistol matches get.

John

jonk
07-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Anyone who wants to meet up or needs directions, drop me a line... 216 333 3049 (cell)

garandsrus
07-26-2008, 10:17 PM
I am packed and headed to Perry tomorrow morning... There's something special about hearing 1000+ rifle shots in 60 seconds!

I am shooting the Presidents, NTI, NTT, Rattle Battle, Garand, Springfield, and Mil bolt (Swedish Mauser). I wimped out and loaded condoms for the Mauser. Next year will probably be the K-31 with the recent RCBS Sillywet bullet. I was a little worried about the lube melting off the boolits with them sitting outside in the heat all day.

I sent PM's to several folks that are going seeing if they want to get together for dinner some evening. I hope to meet some of the folks from the site...

John

jonk
07-28-2008, 11:30 AM
It is a valid concern. I plan on keeping my ammo in my cooler bag with a block of ice if it is really hot.

NuJudge
08-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Garand:
http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/report_eventAward.cgi?matchID=3426&eventID=11&awardID=2

Vintage Military:
http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/report_eventAward.cgi?matchID=3426&eventID=14&awardID=1

Springfield:
http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/report_eventAward.cgi?matchID=3426&eventID=10&awardID=1

Ken O
08-04-2008, 10:40 PM
I see you did well Chris.

I just shot the NTI, Presidents, and the Hurst. It was much nicer weather than the last few years. It was so hot in the past I wasn't going to go at all, but ended signing up just a few days before the match, and got a bunk in the barracks.

I missed the cut by three points, I had a bad off-hand in the NTI, I just need two points to leg out.

I was interesting to see the Gunny (from Mail Call) there, he shot in most the matches.

I'm glad I went, I had a good time. I just should have packed the rest of the rifles and shot them all.

If anyone is thinking that they aren't good enough, or maybe next year, make a point to make it next year, you won't be sorry.