PDA

View Full Version : waxing cases

hiram
04-23-2015, 01:59 PM
The other day I was reading a post about waxing cases to keep them cleaner for a longer time.

I cannot find that post. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Nueces
04-23-2015, 03:37 PM
Sounds like you may be referring to what some of us do when tumbling with stainless steel pins. I finish up the process using ArmorAll Wash'n'Wax instead of Dawn. Still use the LemiShine, too. The result in my shop is a micro coating of wax that cannot be seen or felt, but that keeps the brass shiny for many weeks. It does not build up on a carbide sizing die, either.

runfiverun
04-23-2015, 03:42 PM
I too use a car wash containing wax in my stainless pin tumbler instead of dish soap.
when i dry tumble I use nu finish in the dry media.

hiram
04-23-2015, 04:15 PM
I was thinking of using Johnson liquid floor wax, clear water and a little dawn so the liquids mix and give the brass a short soak. I was wondering how much liquid wax to use. I was thinking somewhere between a tsp and tbs since we're only looking for a micro coating.

country gent
04-23-2015, 04:48 PM
I add about a capfull of nufinsh to my big dillon tumbler with a full load or brass in in it. I also add 2 ounces of alchlol at the strat trickled in slow and around the edges with a small measuring cup. This seems to help the ground corn cobs rejuvinate and clean much faster. I treat my corn cobs with Iosso brass polish when new and occassionaly thru its life. It dosnt take much and it seems to work well. For what its worth as Im cleaning Black powder fired cartridges mostly now.

Moonie
04-24-2015, 08:06 AM
When I dry tumbled I used nufinish, with the stainless steel pins I use car wash and wax, whatever brand I happen to have, in place of the dawn as others above have mentioned, still use the lemishine.

captaint
04-24-2015, 08:45 AM
I like the idea of using the auto wax & wash in with the stainless pins. I did stop using wax substances in my dry (corncob vibrator) media. Seemed like the cases just weren't moving about like they should. I had been using that particular batch of media for quite a while, though. At any rate, when I changed it out with new corncob, it was like I had put a super charger on the vibrator. So, I think I'll just leave the corncob alone from now on.

Love Life
04-24-2015, 08:51 AM
Run them in corncob treated with NU-Finish. That'll keep them shiny for a long time with the added benefit of being slick for sizing. Running SS tumbled brass through the dies can lead to pulling out a carbide sizing ring from a die. True story.

C.F.Plinker
04-24-2015, 11:27 AM
Would the wax reduce the ability of the brass to grip the chamber walls enough to significantly increase bolt thrust especially on bolt action or lever action rifles?

dilly
04-24-2015, 11:43 AM
I dry tumble in walnut and use NuFinish.

JCherry
04-24-2015, 12:21 PM
I have the same question as C.F.Plinker. I do not add any wax when cleaning brass for just this reason. I don't see that the wax would be a problem for the low pressure pistol cartridges though I have not done it.

Have Fun,

JCherry

willie_pete
04-24-2015, 12:33 PM
May be an old wives tale, but I have heard the same thing, excessive pressure on the bolt face. I think I read an article on it somewhere; I'll try to find it. It made sense at the time.

wp

willie_pete
04-24-2015, 12:38 PM
Found it ; look up Varmit Al's work on subject @ varmintal.com

wp

Multigunner
04-24-2015, 03:12 PM
I simply dampen a cloth with WD40 and wipe the brass lightly after reloading. WD40 is mainly a preservative rather than a lubricant, though when first applied its as thin as penetrating oil. The carrier evaporates and leaves a micro thin layer with little or no lubrication properties.

Theres really little reason to polish brass, any surface oxidation will only provide a absorbent base to hold the oil on the surface of the case till it dries. Polished brass looks better but doesn't shoot any better.

Some Enfield collectors have misread the instructions in manuals to use ammo "oiled in the service manner". That instruction was intended for use of a very thin preservative oil applied with a flannel cloth, with the cartridges left to air dry before inserting in chargers.
Cartridges oily to the touch can damage the action.

DLCTEX
04-24-2015, 04:22 PM
I have fired thousands of rounds in rifle and pistol in brass after tumbling (vibrating) in corncob with NuFinish car polish added with no problems. Increased thrust may be someone's theory.

willie_pete
04-24-2015, 05:13 PM
I have fired thousands of rounds in rifle and pistol in brass after tumbling (vibrating) in corncob with NuFinish car polish added with no problems. Increased thrust may be someone's theory.

no, more than theory, he's done the work. He has some nice engineering graphs in stress analysis. He used to work at Lawrence Livermore Labs. He's really got a nice website; lots of good/interesting info.

wp

JCherry
04-24-2015, 05:44 PM
DLCTEX, Were the rifle rounds full power / pressure?

Have fun,

JCherry

mold maker
04-24-2015, 07:42 PM
No one is proposing using gobs of NuFinish or any other wax. It only takes, less than a cap full (approx half a tablespoon) in a tumbler of media, and it will process up to 4 fillings of brass. The wax left on the brass, is just enough, to keep finger prints etc from quickly tarnishing the contact surface. When sizing you can't tell the difference.
I have crippled fingers and turning 9mm and 380 brass for the shell holder, is a problem. The wax film doesn't make it worse, if anything it gives me better control.

David2011
04-24-2015, 07:51 PM
Note that Nu-Finish is a polish rather than a wax. I put about a tablespoon in a large tumbler and about a tablespoon of mineral spirits at the same time into my corn cob media. I've gotten to where I only use walnut for really dirty cases.

David

WILCO
04-25-2015, 09:51 AM
The other day I was reading a post about waxing cases to keep them cleaner for a longer time.

I cannot find that post. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-90774.html

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-68724.html

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-86398.html