PDA

View Full Version : Losing my mom soon.

TXGunNut
04-22-2015, 11:52 PM
My mom is slipping away from us, I figure she's waiting for my brother to come up from Houston. She has too many issues and just isn't strong enough to fight them all off, she's no fighter anyway. She's 79, raised three good kids (or at least two) and has been blessed with grandkids and a couple of great-grandbabies. She's been in a nursing home for longer than I could possibly endure and has been a good sport about it.
I'd appreciate you keeping my family in your thoughts & prayers, some will be travelling and we'll all be missing a sweet little lady.

bangerjim
04-22-2015, 11:57 PM
God be with you and your family. I have lost all parents and most relatives. It is hard to say goodbye.

They are never really gone as long as you remember!

banger

kenyerian
04-22-2015, 11:58 PM
Thoughts and prayers for your family.

BNE
04-23-2015, 12:03 AM
Sorry to hear. Will pray.

RogerDat
04-23-2015, 12:13 AM
Peace be with your mother and family, safe journey to those on the road.

GoodOlBoy
04-23-2015, 05:10 AM
Praying for you and yours.

Richard

square butte
04-23-2015, 05:45 AM
You and family are in my thoughts and prayers. I lost my Mom 2 years ago.

jmort
04-23-2015, 06:14 AM
Praying for your mom, you, and your family in this dark hour.

imashooter2
04-23-2015, 07:02 AM
Prayers sent for you, your Mom and your family.

nagantguy
04-23-2015, 07:31 AM
I pray for an end to her pain and illness, and for strength and peace for you and yours. She's glory bound. Remember HE said whom so ever shall believe in me shall not perish but have life everlasting!

castalott
04-23-2015, 08:08 AM
Sincere Prayers for Faith, Love, Mercy, Forgiveness, and Strength thru this ordeal... I know what it is like to lose a mom...I prayed for my mom unceasingly.... Dale

w5pv
04-23-2015, 09:12 AM
Prayer sent for your mother and family.

mtncharlie1968
04-24-2015, 05:04 AM
She will never truly be gone as long as she lives in your heart.
I lost my son two years ago today from an auto accident, he was twenty-four. I miss him terribly, but he lives on.
I pray for you and your family.

OverMax
04-24-2015, 05:17 AM
Will do.

buckwheatpaul
04-24-2015, 03:40 PM
TxGunNut, I cant begin to say how sorry I am for what is happening to your mother. I will pray for her peace and you and your families peace as well. Been without my parents for a while....If you are ever in East Texas I will buy you breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner.....if you need help all you have to do is ask you Cast Boolits Family and they will take care of you....Paul

DLCTEX
04-24-2015, 04:10 PM
Prayers sent. Be thankful for the time you have. My Mom went without warning and there was so much I didn't get to say.

RED333
04-25-2015, 09:10 AM
Praying for you and yours.

TXGunNut
04-25-2015, 11:21 PM
Thanks all, she's still hanging in there but we got a good handle on pain management today. Some awesome nurses and staff, truly exceptional people.

TXGunNut
04-25-2015, 11:31 PM
....If you are ever in East Texas I will buy you breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner.....Buckwheatpaul

Thanks, Paul. Don't get out your way much but I'd sure like to meet you as well. Would be my pleasure to have you as my guest for a meal or at least a cup of coffee next time you venture to the metromess. I've only had the pleasure of meeting a few CB folks but they're truly good folks.

texassako
04-26-2015, 04:04 PM
Prayers out to y'all. Glad to here you have good help and a handle on her pain.

USMC87
04-27-2015, 08:57 AM
I pray for the comfort of GOD on you and your family, I pray for your mothers pain and suffering to be under control. Keep us posted. USMC87

TXGunNut
04-27-2015, 11:42 PM
Well, she's still with us. Never seen her get in much of a hurry to do anything so don't really expect her to start now. She seemed very uncomfortable tonight, praying she finds some comfort and sleep tonight.
Got one doc motivated (don't ask) and added a doc who's a family friend to the team today. Other docs seem pleased to have latest doc on the case, all seem to be playing nice but I'm keeping my big stick within easy reach.

popper
04-28-2015, 09:59 AM
Prayers for her and you.

LAH
04-29-2015, 10:16 AM
The Lord give you & her grace. Where much is needed, much is given. We serve a Wonderful God.

osteodoc08
04-29-2015, 09:30 PM
Prayers of pain relief and peace for you and family

TXGunNut
04-29-2015, 11:04 PM
Thanks again, all. Pain management adjustments made today and seem effective. Still more questions than answers but new doc is in aggressive pursuit and seems to be closing in. Good to have a new sheriff in town, even if all we get is the satisfaction of knowing we did all we could do.

buckwheatpaul
04-30-2015, 07:45 AM
TXGunNut, Remember that God is working through your mother's new doctor....May God guide the knowledge and hands of your mother's physician and may he ease your mother's pain and suffering...and may He bring peace to your mother and your family.....Amen

35 shooter
04-30-2015, 11:40 PM
Hate to hear about your mom. I'll be praying for her and all the family. Hoping the new doc can do something for her.

TXGunNut
05-01-2015, 11:42 PM
New doc (my doc) gave us the info we needed today, he recommended hospice care. Mom's doc wouldn't give us a straight answer so I brought in my doc. He offered to consult during my appointment with him last Friday. He joined the case, read the chart carefully and ordered some tests. He gave us his findings today and we now know that we've done everything that can be done for her according to her wishes. Without his efforts we'd possibly be looking back six weeks or months from now wondering if we did everything we could have done.
Hospice care started this afternoon, she'll actually stay in the same unit with the same excellent nurses. Only thing that's changed is the treatment goals and methods. Today was a tough day but I'm thankful that we have her living will/directive to physicians to guide our decisions. Hospice coordinator is a good person, made a tough time tolerable and we even had a few laughs.
Thanks again for the thoughts and prayers, they've given me and my sister the strength to face this challenge and do what we need to do.

popper
05-09-2015, 05:19 PM
wondering if we did everything we could have done. You do the best you can, don't punish yourself with guilt and keep the good memories close.

tdoyka
05-09-2015, 11:28 PM
You do the best you can, don't punish yourself with guilt and keep the good memories close.

x2,
prayers are with you

Eddie17
05-10-2015, 12:12 AM
Hospice care people do great work with helping thru a very hard time in life decisions!
Lost my wife's mother last year, and thank them for their help.

mold maker
05-10-2015, 09:44 AM
I have one aunt left on each side of my family. One is 94 and the other celebrated her 100th BD last month.
Both my Mom and Dad passed, at home, holding my hands. It was both a blessing and heartache when it happened. A blessing because I could be there, had time to say goodbye, and comfort them, in their final journey. A terrible heartache because it means I now have only memories, of a lifetime, of guidance and love.
TXGunNut, Use the remaining hrs to reconcile differences, and love the family you have left. As each one passes your time together is lost. At every opportunity, embrace each other as if it were the last time. Our prayers are with you, and yours.

buckwheatpaul
05-10-2015, 03:01 PM
mold maker summed it up the best......still praying for you, your sister, and your mom!

TXGunNut
05-10-2015, 05:04 PM
Thanks, all. Headed south as soon as floodwaters recede a bit. Yes, hospice folks are great. She's still hanging on, somehow. She's no fighter but she's one stubborn little lady.

WRideout
05-10-2015, 05:32 PM
Hospice care can be wonderful. My mom had hospice care for the last month she lived, and it was a Godsend. I will never forget the nurse that thanked me for letting her take care of my mother.

Wayne

TXGunNut
05-11-2015, 12:55 AM
I couldn't be a hospice nurse. I don't know who they pour their hearts out to but I'm not sure I could be that person either. My sister is a nurse and put in her time in a nursing home while working towards her RN. She's seen her share of death. She's been a real trooper and has taught my mom's nurses a thing or two (she teaches nursing) but when the end comes I'll get the call. I'll take care of business and keep things together but it takes a lot out of me. I told the hospice coordinator that we're getting better at this end-of-life process but it hasn't gotten any easier.
My dad knew there were worse things than dying and when that time came he was gone. He died the day he was to start hospice care. My mom has dug in her heels and hung on for days, actually weeks, some day when my worldly life is over maybe I'll ask her why. Some folks wait for someone or something before they go, no idea what she's waiting for.
A word to the wise, a seemingly unconscious person is quite often quite aware of what is being said and who is present in their hospital room. When my brother came to visit I took her hand and asked her to squeeze it, then told her to squeeze my brother's. She did, even tho she didn't seem to be conscious. My brother learned a lesson the hard way when he mentioned something about me clearing out her room at the nursing home, lol. She was quite upset, she knew she was dying but didn't want me boxing up her stuff, lol.
Good night all, thanks again for the thoughts and prayers. That truly does mean a lot to me.

Superfly
05-11-2015, 02:13 AM
Give your mom a hug .from me Please.. Also Give her 3 from you. Prayers out to you and your mom

TXGunNut
05-13-2015, 08:12 PM
Well, our prayers were answered early this morning. My mom left this world and her suffering behind. It was a rough day as many of you can relate but we ended it on a good note. We picked up some huge cookie trays and thank-you cards to drop off at the nurses' stations of the hospital and nursing home. There truly are angels among us, I met a few thru my mom.

texassako
05-13-2015, 08:16 PM
Our prayers are out to you for your loss.

buckwheatpaul
05-13-2015, 08:45 PM
TxGunNut, I am truly sorry for you and your sisters loss....losing a mother is tough....and I promise you that she is still there to guide you all...you just have to listen to your heart and she will be there....May God bless your mother, you and your sister....Paul

RED333
05-13-2015, 10:07 PM
May God Bless yall, know that yalls mother is in peace at the right hand of the Lord.

35 shooter
05-13-2015, 10:34 PM
Very sorry for your loss, but am sure your mother is at peace now. My mother and dad are both long gone from this world, so i know how it feels to lose those closest to you and much of what you and the family are going through.

God bless and keep you all!

TXGunNut
05-13-2015, 11:29 PM
Thanks, guys. Your thoughts and prayers mean a lot to me and my family at this difficult time. Yes, I lost my mom today but we know there are things worse than dying and what she endured these last few weeks I wouldn't wish on anyone.
We had a little fun today; my mom will be buried in a nice red two-piece skirt/jacket outfit, lacy blouse....and some of the most colorful sneakers my sister could find. ;-) She was famous for her sneakers around the nursing home, I'm sure she somehow had a good laugh when we delivered those to the surprised young man at the funeral home.

pworley1
05-13-2015, 11:33 PM
Prayers sent up for your family.

AK4570
05-14-2015, 10:32 PM
May He bless you and keep you and shelter you in the palm of His hand, my friend. Prayers for comfort and peace lifted.

Blessings,
John

TXGunNut
05-15-2015, 11:42 PM
Today was one of the toughest days my brother, sister and I have ever been through. By the grace of God and with the support of family and friends we made it through OK. Thank you all for keeping me and my family in your thoughts and prayers. Please keep my family in your prayers until they all make it safely home.

WRideout
05-16-2015, 01:19 PM
She is in one of God's mansions now.

Wayne

slim1836
05-16-2015, 01:43 PM
Prayers go out to all those affected by the loss of your mother. She has suffered long enough and is now at peace. Be strong and carry on.

Slim

TXGunNut
05-17-2015, 03:25 PM
Yesterday was one of the best of my life, I rashly invited 15 or so over for a BBQ lunch before they headed home and almost all showed up, lol. It was very nice enjoying a good meal and conversation with folks I don't get to see often enough. I may live alone but I can easily seat (and feed) up to 20 with no crowding issues. Outdoor kitchen was barely above water but it all worked out fine.
Today all my guests are on the road, in the air or already back home so it's nice and quiet around here. Took a nap after lunching on leftover BBQ and it felt good.

TXGunNut
02-20-2016, 12:34 AM
Today I remembered a conversation I had with my mom a year ago this week. I'd gotten in the habit of preparing a special meal on occasion and her birthday (February 20) was coming up. I asked her what she'd like me to make for her. I can't recall her answer (lasagna maybe?) but I'll never forget the question she asked me. She asked me if she was going to be 80. I paused, up until a few weeks before she was sharper on this type of subject than I was. I finally told her that no, she was going to be 79. Another long pause. We both knew she was running out of birthdays.
I know some "firsts" are tough but quite honestly I wasn't ready for this. I've been a mess all day.
I have a levergun range trip with my buddy planned for tomorrow, a nice older Citori to shoot and plenty of other things to keep me busy. I'll pick up some flowers and lasagna makings on the way to the cemetery tomorrow.
Was re-reading all the nice posts a little earlier tonight, want to thank you all again for the thoughts and prayers. If you can, hug your mom tomorrow.

Boaz
02-20-2016, 06:56 AM
I understand . Lost my dad in 88 and mom in 92 , I truly miss them . I wish I could sit down and talk to them over coffee for just an hour but I wouldn't bring them back to this place . They achieved victory over this world , they are in a beautiful , wonderful place now . But I will see them soon . Life is but a vapor , it will not be long before I will be with them forever.

Blackwater
02-20-2016, 07:24 AM
Tx, you never really "lose" your Mom or Dad. They just stay with you in a different form. It's been 16 years since my Mom died, but she talks to me often. I can feel her perched on my shoulder, whispering in my ear, "Now you know what you need to do. Just do it." With Dad, I just feel his gaze on me, and sense him saying, "OK, boy. Whacha' gonna' do now?"

It's amazing when they pass how you finally realize just how powerful an influence in your life and on your mind they've been. Really makes a fella' humble, and SO appreciative! The words "pass it on" will never have more meaning for you, and you'll never speak the words "pass it on" again without a deep feeling of respect and gratefulness rising up within you.

They raise us, shape our lives and character, and then make their exits, and are just loving and humble enough to be humbled and appreciative themselves for the opportunity.

Then, when you realize that not everyone has been lucky enough to have had good parents, and how blessed you were to have been one of the lucky ones, you'll never again be able to be anything but truly humble and thankful. It's just what good parents do to us.

trys357
02-20-2016, 07:54 AM
Prayers sent to you and your family.

buckwheatpaul
02-20-2016, 05:22 PM
What Blackwater and Boaz said are true...the best monument you can build for your mom is to live as she raised you! My parents have been gone for quite a while now and yet I think of them almost daily.....they are still there to guide me on the difficult problems....just open up your heart and listen....they will guide you brother! Paul

David2011
02-20-2016, 05:36 PM
Sorry I missed this when you posted it. You've learned by now that with time, God allows those fresh memories of the last days to be replaced with the treasured memories of a lifetime. It's never too late, prayers sent for you and your family.

David

atr
02-20-2016, 05:39 PM
I lost my Mom last March....and it still hurts

Boaz
02-20-2016, 05:51 PM
atr I'm sorry to hear of you mom's passing . Do you have good memories of her ?

big bore 99
02-20-2016, 06:56 PM
Prayers sent.

tim338
02-20-2016, 08:25 PM
I lost my mom my senior year in high school. She was only 43. That was 27 years ago and I still think of her everyday.

Teddy (punchie)
02-20-2016, 09:02 PM
Just reading over these posting and Praying for TXgunnut and all that understand. God Bless !! Teddy

TXGunNut
02-21-2016, 11:54 AM
Turns out yesterday was a pretty good day. Thanks for all the kind thoughts, I know many of you know exactly how I feel. And yes, they never really leave up. My dad shows up in my dreams now and then. Often he walks into a room, looks around and leaves. Other times we plan a trip together. He was a true road warrior, could drive long hours including some trips in very bad conditions.
My mom was very thoughtful and well-read. Towards the end of her life she was unable to read due to failing eyesight and I know that bothered her.
Yes, they have gone on to a better place but they are still around. They both help guide my decisions and my dad is my co-driver on every road trip.

Boaz
02-21-2016, 04:29 PM
That you miss them and think of them shows your love for them . Shows they were good parents . They knew you loved them , heck they still know you love them . Just rambling but what will happen when I at last get to see my folks again ? It will be beyond an amazing experience and GOD will be there . There is a great reunion coming , I don't know the details but it will be completely unbelievable . I look forward to it but till then there is work to do .

TXGunNut
02-22-2016, 02:55 AM
Yes, Boaz, we still have work to do. For some we know their work here is done. I can't imagine this great reunion but have given it some thought. Material and worldly things will no longer matter, will have to find other discussion topics. That, in itself, is mind-bogging if you think about it.

Blackwater
02-22-2016, 06:57 AM
Amen to THAT! All the cares of this world will pass away, and the scales will be removed from our eyes, and for the first time, we'll see clearly, love completely and hear precisely. I doubt we even HAVE the ability to do that until the cares of this world are removed from us. I'll get to see my grandad that I only got to see twice, the last time when I was 3, and my grandmom who died long before I was even thought about, and all my ancestors back to 1763, and probably earlier (that I don't even know about). Who among us can even imagine that, really?

Young people typically fear death because they have so many wants and aspirations within them. Older men, if they've been effective in life and used their time fairly wisely, kind'a settle back and enjoy the ride if they're smart enough to realize what really matters. And it's SO wonderful to be able to do that! I can't really conceive of a place where there's no yesterday or tomorrow, only what IS. But that doesn't mean it's not there and real. We have indications, but can't really fully grasp even the concept. Some things, we just have to wait on. And I think a loving God made it that way because He knows so much more than we do ... or can.

TXGunNut
05-12-2016, 11:12 PM
Tomorrow marks the first anniversary of the day my mom quit suffering. Last weekend was the last of the "firsts"; first Thanksgiving, first Christmas, first birthday, first Mothers' Day. First spring. I couldn't buy any strawberries this spring. Last year I'd buy a pint and drop by the nursing home and share them with her. She loved those strawberries and it was fun watching her enjoy them.
So many of us have lost loved ones in the last year. So many of you have supported me and I want you to know you will remain in my thoughts and prayers as you go through your own "firsts".

Hickok
05-13-2016, 07:59 AM
My deepest and most heart felt sympathy.

William Yanda
05-13-2016, 08:05 AM
"They are never really gone as long as you remember!"

What Banger said.

Bill

Pine Baron
05-13-2016, 08:54 AM
TXgunNut,
My deepest condolences on the loss of your mother. Your mentioning the "strawberry" tradition touched me. Please consider continuing the tradition with one or each of the kids/grandkids. It's an opportunity to share your memories with the next generation. My personal experience has shown, the kids are fascinated with the stories, while keeping the memory alive. (but then again I've always been good at "spinning a yarn").

Preacher Jim
05-13-2016, 02:32 PM
Lord please comfort and strengthen this family as a beloved mother is walking the final path toward heaven. Lord none of us have the power to doing thing but really trust in Jesus to come when her mansion is finished. Comfort her and the family
In Jesus name
Amen

buckwheatpaul
05-13-2016, 02:54 PM
TxGunNut, I lost both of my parent quite a few years ago now...but a day rarely goes by that I dont think of them. I always tell people that lose a love one that they are still there to answer your questions if you just listen. You parents raised you right and your answers will be answered through the principles that they taught you......I still miss them as you miss your parents......just celebrate their lives through the ways they taught you to set a good example for others. Paul

Half Dog
05-13-2016, 04:10 PM
I caught this thread a little late. TXGunNut I will pray for your comfort and as I read the posts I realized I will be experiencing your pain in the near future. If you need anything I believe I am not too far, just holler.

castalott
05-13-2016, 11:03 PM
Sincere Prayers for Love, Mercy, and Faith. The Bond between Moms and Sons is special...

Dale

TXGunNut
05-21-2016, 01:08 AM
We buried my mom on 05/15/2015. On 05/15/2016 I was hanging (hiding) out in the clubhouse at the range and another member came in and almost collapsed in tears. It seems I was the spitting image of her husband, lost last year. I touched her hand and she sensed that someone was on mind. I couldn't tell her but will soon. God works in mysterious ways. I want to know about her husband. Maybe I'll be strong enough to tell her about my mom.

shoot-n-lead
05-21-2016, 01:27 AM
Sorry that I read this so late...and I am genuinely sorry for your loss. I went through your exact ordeal, 2 yrs ago, with my Mother. GOD bless you and your family.

Victor N TN
05-21-2016, 11:50 AM
Please let me say that I genuinely feel your pain. My mom passed 5 years ago the 29th of July. She was 86. Dad passed when I was 19. Dad was 48. You've made the "first" year. In my mind I always think that's the hardest.

My wife lost her Mom almost 2 years to the day after my Mom passed. She was in her mid 80's. She was mid 20's when her Dad passed.

All I can say is hang in there. You never forget them. But with time the pain gets easier to handle.

Condolences,
Victor

Blackwater
05-21-2016, 03:55 PM
TxGunNut, I am very sorry to hear of your mother's passing. She obviously was a great one, or you wouldn't mourn her so. But I promise, Moms and Dads NEVER really "leave us." They're always right there, in our hearts and minds, and mine still whispers in my ear whenever I need it. Dad just lets that challenging gaze of his fall on me, and I sense his presence. She's just not there in the same WAY as she was previously. But she's still "there," all the same. Stay strong, and make her proud. That's what she'd tell you if she could. So like Nike says, "Just do it."

Char-Gar
05-21-2016, 10:26 PM
I am truly sorry for your loss. I have lost my grandparent, parents, all aunts, uncles and siblings. I am truly the last man standing and that is a very lonely feeling.

Bobbywrocks
05-22-2016, 12:14 AM
I'm new to this forum, but I am not new to losing a mama. I will pray for you and your family. Sounds like you have pretty much gotten your mind right. I lost mine unexpectedly at 66 when I was 45. If you feel the need to express yourself, I am available and will be glad to give you my personal email or cell to text. I am a Christian but not a fanatic. I feel connected to anyone facing losing a parent. I am an only child, but even now, at 52, it comes back hard.

TXGunNut
05-23-2016, 12:53 AM
Thanks, all. First year is indeed hard, thanks for the kind words. I knew my posts would bring back some fond memories. I hope in the coming years I'll be able to concentrate on more pleasant memories.
Welcome to the forum, Bobbywrocks. Thanks for the prayers and offer to talk.

Boaz
05-23-2016, 09:45 AM
Lost dad in 87' , he was 86 years old . Lost mom in 91' , she was 79 years old . They had me late , I was born in 52' . LOL , dad was 70 years old when I graduated high school .
I was blessed to have them as long as I did . Mom's death was the hardest because she was the last to go . Your right .........first year of Holidays and special events are hard . But you move on , me and one sister are the only survivors of our original family including the extended family . I'm blessed to have had all of them so long , I thank the Lord for that . I'm happy they have achieved victory over this life . Praise GOD .