PDA

View Full Version : Help with A Rossi

Tom22f
10-03-2005, 12:50 PM
I am new to the Cowboy Action game and recently aquired a used Rossi M92 on advice of an experienced shooter who claimed Rossi had some of the best barrels. I need help making it shoot to at least 3 inches at 100 yards.

I am loading a 200 grain cast bullet with a diameter of .430. The bullet is a RNFP of .581 O/A length and I am getting an avg. of 996fps with 5.5gr. of AA #2 powder and standard LR primer. The 100 accuracy is 6 inch groups at best.

I say at best because I am not sure there is really a group. The rifle will put two shots close together, throw the next one wide, and then put two shots close together again but not in the same spot as the other two. Does this consistenly.

Rifleing seems to be of a very slow twist and quite shallow. Can't really measure the twist with a tight brush and cleaning rod as the mark of the rod only turns 1/4 turn and in about 24 inches.

Any ideas on how to make this rifle shoot?

txbirdman
10-03-2005, 04:37 PM
Tom,

I'd start with a 240 gr. bullet if I were you. I've never had very good luck with anything lighter in my Rossi .44 Mag.

Ed Barrett
10-03-2005, 05:20 PM
I have two Rossi model 92 clones, a 357 and a .454 mag. Both of these guns will do 3.4" groups at 100 yards with stright WW bullets. When going for groups, do you single load? Loading from the tube can nick a bullet and throw things. Check the tube to see if it's loose, some people have tightened the tube up and groups have improved. Some of the other guys will likely come with some more Ideas, I hope one of them works for you.

Tom22f
10-03-2005, 08:17 PM
TXBIRDMAN& Ed Barrett---Thank you for the suggestions.

I plan to try the 240gr bullet but the twist rate seems so slow that it makes me believe the lighter bullets would shoot better due to their shorter length. However, that does not seem to be the case with the Rossi rifle as you indicate good results with the 240 gr bullet.

I have been single loading but will check the magzine tube none the less.

KCSO
10-03-2005, 10:01 PM
Is your front sight a dovetailed one or the sight on the barrel band. If it is dovetailed you need to look for dents. I shoot a 225 gc r/nfp in my Rossi 44 mag carbine and get 3" or better at 100 yards, after I trimmed out the dent. The twist in mine is 1 38 or so, I just did a quick pull through of the twist gauge. I would also want to check bore diameter as I had one Rossi that went a full 432.

Tom22f
10-04-2005, 07:06 AM
KCSO

My Rossi is a dovetail model front sight and I looked for dents and do not see anything. Do these Rossi rifles have a very shallow rifleing? My bore rifleing seems very shallow, perhaps the bore is wore out. I will slug the barrel ASAP.
Thanks for the help.

leverfan
10-04-2005, 05:08 PM
My cowboy action rifle is an EMF/Rossi '92 Hartford slicked up by Steve's Gunz. It's a 44 mag, and almost all of my loads have been 200 grain Mav Dutchmans cast of wheel weights and old lead pipe with a little tin added. They fall out of the mould at an average of .4315", and I shoot them as-cast, pan lubed in crisco, beeswax, and a little canola oil. My powder charge is 32 grains of Goex fffg in Starline brass with Winchester LP primers. It's been plenty accurate, even for long range side matches, so I may add a tang sight to increase my sight radius and milk a little more out of it.