PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 And Ranch Dog Moulds

Just Duke
03-13-2008, 02:42 PM
45-70 and Ranch Dog Moulds
I have heard lots of good things about their moulds.

I need to cast a b-jillion bullets though and was wondering if they come in 5 to 6 cavity mould?

Can I run the bullet through a standard lube sizer?
I know it works but just never really warmed up to the Lee Liquid Alox.
Little messy for my taste even though my buddy did thousands for his 10mm with the Lee Lube.
TIA'
Duke

Also anything on the back burner for the 35 Reminton 5 or 6 cavity?

HORNET
03-13-2008, 07:41 PM
You could PM Ranch Dog. He's a member here and there's a link to his website at the bottom of the page so you can see what he has in the works. There should be several threads pull up on a search, as well. Lots of good reports on those designs in Marlins.

Johnch
03-14-2008, 08:09 PM
I have several RD moulds and several more on order

I run some of his bullets thru my 450 with normal lube and they shoot great

I have mostly 6 gang moulds of his design

John

jeff223
03-14-2008, 11:33 PM
i just got a mold from Ranch Dog and it drops some nice looking boolits.its a 350 grainer for the 45-70.i just got a two banger but it casts great

i have two Ranch Dog six banger molds for making the 180 grain 35 caliber boolit.that boolit is the best shooting 35 ive ever had.i sold all the rest of my 35cal molds and just shoot the Ranch Dogs

sold my six banger 44cal Ranch Dog mold but i sold my 445sm barrel so i didnt need the mold any more and that boolit shot awesome

just think i shoot cast boolits that were designed for use in the Marlin lever actions and ive never owned a lever action:mrgreen:

Ranch Dog
03-16-2008, 11:50 PM
I've been a little behind with my mail (not shipping though). I'm the President of an Wildlife Management Association that represents something over 200,000 acres in my county and I've had a busy couple of weeks preparing for a whitetail deer seminar that was yesterday. I even did a morning TV show as a lead in for the seminar! My presentation and what might becoming my area of expertise as a land manager is the effect of land fragmentation on whitetail deer. That has nothing to do with casting and once I get some tractor work done on the ranch, I've got a 35 caliber bullet to finish testing!

crabo
03-17-2008, 12:07 AM
What show? Anything we can catch you on?

Lloyd Smale
03-17-2008, 05:29 AM
any ideal when the 350 .4570s will be done and do you have an idea yet when that .35 is going to be ready to be ordered?

quasi
03-17-2008, 11:30 AM
I am waiting for the 6 cavitys to arrive.

Ranch Dog
03-18-2008, 11:58 PM
What show? Anything we can catch you on?

It was a Farm and Ranch show, my three minutes of fame.

Ranch Dog
03-19-2008, 12:14 AM
any ideal when the 350 .4570s will be done and do you have an idea yet when that .35 is going to be ready to be ordered?

The 6-cavity TLC460-350-RFs will be here around July 1st.

I'm still evaluating the 35 caliber bullet. When I have time to shoot, the weather isn't right (we have been having extremely high winds for months). When the weather is good, I'm working or have other commitments.

The work on the ranch is tied to the rain. Yesterday at noon, the forecast looked promising for rain today. I dropped everything and got busy on the tractor finishing up at 1:00 am. I have a pasture that I'm converting from improved grass to native brush. Everything is timed with rain which isn't often. Its not easy as you might assume unless you want to wait about 20 years. Anyway, that tractor ran 13 solid hours with me in the cab. I ate a sandwich in the cab as my dad "hot" fueled the tractor. It all good though. I figure that if I don't have habitat to hunt, I wouldn't bother with the bullets. We did get .48" of rain this morning. Thats good and will grow some thorn brush!