PDA

View Full Version : My Big Day!

W.R.Buchanan
04-22-2015, 04:32 PM
I had an experience today that few people get a chance to do.

I got to go on the USS Mobile Bay, A Ticonderoga Class, Guided Missile Cruiser. You can go here for an overview of the ship. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Mobile_Bay

I am designing and hopefully building a fixture to aid in the alignment of the Weapons Systems and was invited on to take some measurements to further the design.

I have to tell you all,,, this is one serious piece of **** kicking machinery!

I was duly impressed by not only the ship itself, but the crew from the EO down. Many of whom I met and talked to. I was 3x the age of most and 2x the age of the EO, and they were all very courteous and glad to see me. We are in good hands as long as they are allowed to fight and not ordered stand down.

I did have some problems negotiating the numerous ladders and stairs going up and down thru this ship and when we finally got to the rear array after climbing 4 sets of 60 degree stairs and two vertical ladders, It took me about 10 minutes to catch my breath. Going down was much easier. I am now rethinking that Goat Hunt I was looking at.

After seeing this ship up close, and seeing all the armament first hand,,, I came to the conclusion that anybody who picked a fight with this guy,,, was making a big mistake.

I actually turned and saluted as I walked away.

It was a good day for Buchanan Precision Machine.

Randy

smokeywolf
04-22-2015, 04:57 PM
Congrats. What a unique opportunity. Read the stats on wikipedia. Bet she does better than the 30-something knots that is public info. Again, what a great experience.

Menner
04-25-2015, 07:26 AM
Congrats the Tico is a great platform the Tico Sailed with us in the Mid 80's she was part of our Battle Group
Tony

lefty o
04-29-2015, 12:29 PM
i spent a few years on uss vincennes cg-49, and can assure anyone the tico cruisers are very capable weapons.