PDA

View Full Version : Do you depend upon the Veteran's Administration?

montana_charlie
04-22-2015, 01:05 PM
If you do, be careful what you say during 'casual conversations' with your doctor or counselor.

Changing your method of banking can get you put on the list:

“A [VA] counselor named Dr. Blair says, ‘How are you handling your finances?’,” veteran Henry Wrobel of Canton, Texas told TheDC. “I said my wife suggested, to make it a little bit easier for me, maybe use the auto-debit instead of going to the post office because it’s hard for me to drive” with injuries including two “made-up thumbs” resulting from 12 hand surgeries, a wired-on shoulder, and other ailments.

“I told him it’s working very well,” Wrobel said. The counselor “wrote down that I was unable to handle my own finances and that ‘his wife handles his finances.’ I got a letter saying that because I can’t handle my finances I’m like a felon and I can’t be around guns.”

The Veteran's Administration and the FBI are working with the ATF to put veterans on the NICS listing, which denies them the right to gun ownership.
http://dailycaller.com/2015/04/21/va-sends-veterans-medical-info-to-fbi-to-get-their-guns-taken-away/

(If a Mod thinks this thread is in the wrong location, feel free to move it.
Just remember that many who should have access to the information do not ... or cannot ... visit The Pit.)

CM

1Shirt
04-22-2015, 01:25 PM
Not good to say the least!
1Shirt!

texaswoodworker
04-22-2015, 05:13 PM
I expected nothing less from this corrupt Government.

shooter93
04-22-2015, 06:02 PM
More and more these things are happening. It puts me in mind of the slow degradation of Rights that have taken place all over the world and many had a horrific ending. It also keeps in my mind those who say....."It could never happen here"

pworley1
04-22-2015, 06:11 PM
I guess that is the governments way of saying "thank you for your service".

dakotashooter2
04-22-2015, 07:19 PM
What happened to doctor/ patient privilege?????????????????????????????

jcwit
04-22-2015, 07:24 PM
If this was truly the case I would not have been able to buy guns from 15 years ago!

condorjohn
04-22-2015, 07:34 PM
I'm very careful of what I tell my VA doctor and staff. I'm also trying to convince my good friend not to apply for PTSD benefits. I told him he could lose his firearm rights but, he doesn't see how...

jcwit
04-22-2015, 07:49 PM
I discuss target shooting with my VA eye Dr., he also competes in small bore matches.

Been doing it for 10 years now.

Polecat
04-22-2015, 08:20 PM
I spent two years in the army They lost my records right out of basic. I have an honable discharge I have never used my vet benifits when I signed up for social security they couldn't find any record of my service. I kind of like it that way.

smokeywolf
04-22-2015, 08:22 PM
What happened to doctor/ patient privilege?????????????????????????????

Gov't has been hacking away at that for years. Gaining full access to everyone's medical histories has been a priority for some years. Gov't wants all of your financial and medical information on computer/digital storage. Any and all of your personal and private data that is stored on digital media at a doctor's office, insurance company or any other venue not under your immediate control can, with or without your knowledge or permission, be accessed by DOJ, DHS, NSA, IRS or pretty much any other alphabet agency.

Gov't goal is to be able to take your money and your Constitutional rights away from you any time, without due process and pretty much without any process. Without money or Constitutional rights you're at the mercy of a merciless government.

smokeywolf

Floydster
04-22-2015, 08:28 PM
My VA doc is a shooter, I taught him how to re-load along with his son, they were in my class two years ago at the range where I teach.
I have had several doctors in my class this spring.
floydster

jcwit
04-22-2015, 08:28 PM
I spent two years in the army They lost my records right out of basic. I have an honable discharge I have never used my vet benifits when I signed up for social security they couldn't find any record of my service. I kind of like it that way.

I like the full pension and full health care the VA gives me.

montana_charlie
04-22-2015, 08:34 PM
I discuss target shooting with my VA eye Dr., he also competes in small bore matches.

Been doing it for 10 years now.
Have you ever told your doctor that your wife takes care of your finances?
Have you ever asked for VA assistance with managing your money?
How many counseling sessions have you participated in when you admitted to having trouble in meeting one or more of your management responsibilities?

How many other veterans has your doctor reported up the chain for inabilities to manage their affairs?

CM

trapper9260
04-22-2015, 08:38 PM
I always watch what I say at the VA when I go there.Tell them only what they need to and no more or anything else.

jcwit
04-22-2015, 08:38 PM
#1. Yes, and told him she handles paying all the bills. Also told him I was in management most of my life, delegating is nothing new to me.
#2. No
#3. Zero
#4. How should I know.

MaryB
04-22-2015, 09:28 PM
This is recent in the last couple years and not all VA docs are jerks. But enough are to watch yourself. Friend made the mistake of telling the VA dude he used to be on sleeping pills. VA doc reported he was an addict and they pulled his gun rights. He got a letter before the cops showed up so I am storing his guns while he appeals it all. Cops were not happy to find no guns and they got upset when he would not tell them where they were stored. One is his great grandfathers 1894 Winchester, it is well used, beat up, but a family treasure that has been passed down and he wants it to go to his son some day and not have some cop 5 finger it or have the cops destroy it. Besides the rifle he had his shotgun for pheasant and deer hunting. I made safe room and when things are sorted out he gets them back. In the meantime he just goes shooting with me.

ohland
04-22-2015, 09:37 PM
If you do, be careful what you say during 'casual conversations' with your doctor or counselor. The Veteran's Administration and the FBI are working with the ATF to put veterans on the NICS listing, which denies them the right to gun ownership.CM

Folks, the military has changed from the late 80s, one 286 computer (with a 486 upgrade chip!!!) running Office Enable, weekly upload by dial-up modem, where you could DUI, loose significant gov't property, and maintain high personnel levels through "ghost" soldiers (soldiers stopped coming to drill, but were still on the books), to the "professional" force circa mid 2014 where people a thousand or more miles away can detect if PVT Snuffy is not on SurePay... or wasn't POSH certified...or hadn't taken the annual Global Assessment Tool (GAT). The GAT, supposedly is a self-assessment that individuals take, informs the individual if they are normal or they are potentially in need of help.

Every time I took it, each question and range of responses (like Not At All to All The Time) made me consider what the "system" would think of the answers. There was a junior soldier taking it one day, and the answers that person chose were the most dire possible (trying to "git r done"). I asked if that was really wise thing to do, the reply was that nobody ever looks at the GAT responses.

Let's consider now the VA. Doesn't have to be the VA, insert any government beauracracy - IRS, DHS, HHS, DOJ... Imagine that the threat (or embarrassment) of the day has triggered a congressional frenzy. Unscrupulous people "leak" data to support or attack a person, group, or organization. Or there is another Chelsea Manning hoping for a free sex change.. Whatever.

I feel sorry for those Vets that have even thought of getting mental health assistance, either from the military, the VA, or civilian health. The Army for probably 10 years has tried to make it so there was no stigma on asking for help. But even if the military has been successful, folks outside the system will only see that a vet must have problems, time to do something.

Just waiting for the next fads. Nutrition. Exercise. Body Mass Index. Broccoli. Belief that man caused climate change is creating health problems. Used to be that "just the facts, ma'am" was the only requirement.

Handloader109
04-23-2015, 12:16 AM
It is happening. If you know or are a veteran going to the VA, don't tell them anything that does not concern your health. Money matters are one of those things to keep quiet about. Be careful.

Uncle Jim
04-23-2015, 07:56 AM
I am a 100% disabled Vet with PTSD and when I go see my Mental Health provider we talk about guns. He is an avid trap shooter and I shoot on bot rifle and pistol leagues. I currently have no problems with this provider and he does not include anything in my records about guns!

Bad Andy
04-23-2015, 09:34 AM
This is recent in the last couple years and not all VA docs are jerks. But enough are to watch yourself. Friend made the mistake of telling the VA dude he used to be on sleeping pills. VA doc reported he was an addict and they pulled his gun rights. He got a letter before the cops showed up so I am storing his guns while he appeals it all. Cops were not happy to find no guns and they got upset when he would not tell them where they were stored. One is his great grandfathers 1894 Winchester, it is well used, beat up, but a family treasure that has been passed down and he wants it to go to his son some day and not have some cop 5 finger it or have the cops destroy it. Besides the rifle he had his shotgun for pheasant and deer hunting. I made safe room and when things are sorted out he gets them back. In the meantime he just goes shooting with me.

My head is spining right not reading all of this. I am a few years away from being a civilian and none of what I am reading makes any sense. What the hell is our country turning into? Flippin scary!

jcwit
04-23-2015, 09:38 AM
People no longer trust our government, wonder why, but because of this it breeds fear and the boogy man is around every corner, whether true or not. Only thing I can tell you is buy shares in tinfoil and be sure you have your fair share of tinfoil in stock for use in the future.

GabbyM
04-23-2015, 10:11 AM
I am a 100% disabled Vet with PTSD and when I go see my Mental Health provider we talk about guns. He is an avid trap shooter and I shoot on bot rifle and pistol leagues. I currently have no problems with this provider and he does not include anything in my records about guns!

Medical doctors have scant qualifications or license to diagnose psychiatrics.

Am noting here Jim that you are seeing a mental health doctor. Not a medical doctor. Which It appears is what the VA doctor in question is. Personally I can’t see where a medical doctor would be qualified to make any judgments or diagnoses on a persons mental states. Past referring there patient to psychiatric care.

In my state of Illinois here. Since the 1968 gun control act. Which was Illinois knee jerk reaction to JFK’s assassination as was the Federal act. Doctors are required by Illinois State law to report several phyc diagnoses. Which they diligently do. But the doctor reporting must actually have a license to practice Phyc. In short your dentist works on your teeth and does not turn in his opinions on your mental health to the state. Any more than your auto mechanic would.

My guess is if this VA patient had enough money. He’d be capable of paying a physiatrist for a proper evaluation and a lawyer to straighten this mess all out. Term down trodden comes to mind. When you get down you get shoe tread marks on your back. From people stomping on you. Having someone tread on you that is supposed to be helping you is just plain hurtful.

ohland
04-23-2015, 04:41 PM
tinfoil in stock

Make sure it's Reynolds Wrap with the non-stick surface. When you make your cranial protection, make very sure the slippery side is out, so those mind control beams sheer off. Also, take care the cap is as smooth as possible, too jagged and the beams might get caught in the angle and penetrate...

"Remember, we're all in this together"

Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie
http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

And for us that know the real truth...
http://zapatopi.net/blog/?post=201407164665.mandatory_weird_al_foil

texaswoodworker
04-23-2015, 05:31 PM
People no longer trust our government, wonder why, but because of this it breeds fear and the boogy man is around every corner, whether true or not. Only thing I can tell you is buy shares in tinfoil and be sure you have your fair share of tinfoil in stock for use in the future.

People used to say the same thing to people who claimed that the Government was spying on us. Turns out they were. I don't put anything past this corrupt Government because time has proven that if they can do something, they will. It's no secret that this Administration is anti gun. They've even tried to get doctors (normal, everyday medical, not mental doctors) to ask us if we own guns and report it. I wonder why. :rolleyes:

shooter93
04-23-2015, 06:33 PM
People no longer trust the government because the government has shown many many times they are not to be trusted.

jcwit
04-23-2015, 06:50 PM
People no longer trust the government because the government has shown many many times they are not to be trusted.

Who voted them into office?

perotter
04-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Who voted them into office?

Those willing to vote for 'the lesser of two evils'. The voting for evil can only bring more evil.

One can quit voting for 'the lesser of two evils' in the next election.

jcwit
04-23-2015, 07:12 PM
YUP! Not voting at all will solve all the problems. Intelligent logic at it's best!

texaswoodworker
04-23-2015, 07:53 PM
YUP! Not voting at all will solve all the problems. Intelligent logic at it's best!

Explain to me how voting for the lesser of two evils will solve any problems? In the last two election, we've had the choice between a left wing extremest, and two slightly less extreme left wingers. How is voting for them going to get a good conservative into office? The Republican Party will nominate whoever they think will get votes. Your voting for RINOs, so that's who they nominate. All your doing is slowing the decay of this nation, not stopping it.

It's simple. If you want me to vote for the Republican candidate, you better make sure he/she's not a RINO. Your not going to get it any other way period. That's a fact of life and you ******** about us not voting isn't going to change that. If the Republicans nominate a good conservative this time, they will be our next president. If they nominate a RINO, well I hope you like Hitlerly because the RINO isn't going to get the votes needed to win no matter what you say or do.

perotter
04-23-2015, 07:56 PM

I vote in every election. There are third party candidates. Read the ballot you are given the next time you vote.

PS

Or if one doesn't like any of the third party choices, one can write in someone who would be good.

jcwit
04-23-2015, 08:21 PM
I vote in every election. There are third party candidates. Read the ballot you are given the next time you vote.

PS

Or if one doesn't like any of the third party choices, one can write in someone who would be good.

And just how many 3rd party candidates have you helped get into office?

One can write in someone who would be good?? Might as well just vote "present". Does as much good.

I'm not real happy with the way things are going, not only here but in the world in general. But tell us this, where else yould you rather live?

Better you count your Blessings.

jcwit
04-23-2015, 08:29 PM
Lets get back to the VA, I get super treatment there, in fact I have a unit here in my home that daily sends them my vitals.

Just got a new pair of Diabetic shoes yesterday, going tomorrow for my 4 month checkup.

Life is good!

texaswoodworker
04-23-2015, 08:37 PM
And just how many 3rd party candidates have you helped get into office?

One can write in someone who would be good?? Might as well just vote "present". Does as much good.

I'm not real happy with the way things are going, not only here but in the world in general. But tell us this, where else yould you rather live?

Better you count your Blessings.

You better enjoy your blessing while you have them. Keep voting for RINOs, and the Dems will keep winning. You can kiss those blessings good bye.

jcwit
04-23-2015, 08:45 PM
Hey Tex, ever wonder why I don't respond to your posts anymore?

woodbutcher
04-23-2015, 09:27 PM
:? Well now.Seeing as how LEO`s are required to see the dept shrink after an officer involved shooting or after an investigation at a really nasty crime scene ect,when are they going to be stripped of their right to keep and bear arms?This IS a valid question.That should thin the herd.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

MaryB
04-23-2015, 09:35 PM
I refuse to vote fr a rino and I have made that clear to the GOP multiple times. Might as well as vote for Hillary if they put Jeb on the ticket...

jcwit
04-23-2015, 09:43 PM
We shall see in the next few months where all this leads.

texaswoodworker
04-23-2015, 10:53 PM
Hey Tex, ever wonder why I don't respond to your posts anymore?
I dunno. Can't win the argument?

jcwit
04-23-2015, 11:21 PM
OK, I clicked the "view post" option.

Can't win the argument? No It just wondered way off topic, with you wishing to do nothing rather than something. Doing nothing is a senseless option but some follow that, and for all intents and purposes vote "present" just as our glorious leader did when Senator. Very wise choice, or maybe a total foolish one. I'd say the latter.

YUP! A vote for the loser just to prove a point is senseless. But go ahead and make a point that no one will see.

No sense arguing with a ----, how does that saying go??

dtknowles
04-23-2015, 11:23 PM
Since I was born with have had a Republican President for 7 terms and a Democratic President for 8 terms. Since I could vote we have had a Democratic president for 5 terms and a Republican President for 5 terms so there seems to be some sort of balance going on. It seems nobody want either party in power for too long.

Tim

jcwit
04-23-2015, 11:31 PM
Yes it swings back and forth. From one to the other. For all those all upset before the nominations are even started, check out the rest of the world and pick a better place to live.

I thought this whole thread was about health care with the VA and the questions they may ask.

Frankly I have NO PROBLEMS with them. Someone implied "just wait, its coming" well they better hurry, I'm 71. LOL:lol::lol:

texaswoodworker
04-24-2015, 08:36 AM
OK, I clicked the "view post" option.

Can't win the argument? No It just wondered way off topic, with you wishing to do nothing rather than something. Doing nothing is a senseless option but some follow that, and for all intents and purposes vote "present" just as our glorious leader did when Senator. Very wise choice, or maybe a total foolish one. I'd say the latter.

YUP! A vote for the loser just to prove a point is senseless. But go ahead and make a point that no one will see.

No sense arguing with a ----, how does that saying go??
You didn't explain how voting for a RINO is going to get a good conservative elected.

Care to try again? I've already told you that your not going to change anyone's mind on voting for a RINO. Don't waste your breath.

montana_charlie
04-24-2015, 01:07 PM
I thought this whole thread was about health care with the VA and the questions they may ask.
That's true.
The diversion of the discussion from the VA to 'government' (in general) began with Post #22.
Your personal experience with the Veteran's Administration leaves you with nothing to add to the subject, but you can't allow any thread about the VA to go forth without some kind of input from you.

Now, finding yourself embroiled in an argument over a non-related subject, you want to redirect the conversation back to the original topic.

woodbutcher
04-24-2015, 08:14 PM
Ya wanna talk about how the VA bends ya over a barrel?A friend of mine fought them for 12 years before he got approved for his benefits.He is a Viet Nam veteran with disabilities from same.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

jcwit
04-24-2015, 08:49 PM
but you can't allow any thread about the VA to go forth without some kind of input from you.

So does that imply I am no allowed to put forth my experience with the VA?

Sorry, I will post my experiences with the VA, good or bad. so far excellant!

jcwit
04-24-2015, 08:50 PM
Now, finding yourself embroiled in an argument over a non-related subject, you want to redirect the conversation back to the original topic.

Are you saying that is the wrong thing to do or ask for??

jcwit
04-24-2015, 08:56 PM
Had a good conversation today with the primary care nurse about carrying. She does also except when going to and from work as No firearms allowed on campus.

Care was excellent, now going to pulmonary specialist and kidney specialist.

Alvarez Kelly
04-24-2015, 09:10 PM
And still, he just keeps spewing forth.

jcwit
04-24-2015, 09:29 PM

I'm not allowed to post?

Even when my experience is positive?

jcwit
04-24-2015, 09:31 PM

You seem to be pretty narrow minded! Sorry to be such a thorn in your side!