PDA

View Full Version : Greasy ingots

Kent Fowler
04-22-2015, 11:50 AM
Decided to melt a 5 gallon bucket of CWW I have had for a while and noticed my angle iron molds had oil on them. I figured the oil would burn off rather quickly at 650 degrees but after a partial bucket I noticed the molds still had oil on them and the ingots were oily. Went back to the box where the molds were stored and found a quart of synthetic gear oil had partially leaked onto them. I guess this is a testament to the synthetic stuff holding together at high temps. Had to break out my acetylene wrench and give the molds a good going over to get rid of the oil residue and hit the ingots with brake cleaner which pretty much cleaned them up. Ran the rest of the bucket with no problems and only had 3 zinc weights mixed in with them. Now I have to melt the SWW's which is gonna be fun, with all that stickum stuff they have on them. Will move my lead pot to a place to where I can get up wind of it. I might wait a while to do those.

runfiverun
04-22-2015, 01:33 PM
get the heat under them and get a fire going inside the pot.
the faster you burn all that sticky tape stuff off the better.

gwpercle
04-22-2015, 01:35 PM
acetylene wrench ! I got to have one of those bad boys....sounds like a cool-tool.

pworley1
04-22-2015, 02:00 PM
They need to put you in their ad.

blikseme300
04-22-2015, 05:38 PM
acetylene wrench ! I got to have one of those bad boys....sounds like a cool-tool.

Yep, I have one as well and it is used quite a lot but not nearly as much as the 5lb tuning tool. Do remember that inside every tool there lurks a hammer.

lightman
04-22-2015, 07:07 PM
You could drown those soww's in some type of solvent, maybe even gasoline to clean them up. I usually just melt them and light the smoke. I also would have thought hot lead would have burned the oil off of your ingot molds. I would give those ingots a shot of brake cleaner before casting with them!

RED333
04-22-2015, 07:45 PM
I call mine the old blue point wrench, aint found a bolt yet that cant be removed by it.

Polecat
04-22-2015, 08:34 PM
Fire wrench I have had one most of my life very few things it want take off.

leeggen
04-22-2015, 09:24 PM
Oh the Red Wrench I have one of those. Have not found a stuck bolt or nut it can't remove nor a bearing on a shaft that won't remove.
CD