PDA

View Full Version : First baby squirrels of the year

richhodg66
04-21-2015, 06:49 PM
On my way out to work this morning, two obviously juvenile squirrels were foraging in my back yard. Seems a bit early for them to be up and about, is it?

Ed Barrett
04-21-2015, 08:51 PM
I've seen some running around here this week too. Be time for some tender squirrel soon. May use cast in my hornet, cheaper than .22lr.

richhodg66
04-21-2015, 10:15 PM
Cast in the Hornet worked well on them last Winter. Our season here for them opens in June I think, still seems weird to squirrel hunt outside when it's hot and the leaves are still thick.

I grew up in S.C. and they have grey squirrles there, not fox squirrels like here. Nobody hunted them really before first frost, they had some kind of Bot fly parasites when it was warm.

I like seeing the little guys. We have two big oaks in the yards and lots more throuighout the neighborhoodUsed my Sheridan on one a few months ago, may have to break it out in a few more months but I enjoy watching them now.

osteodoc08
04-23-2015, 09:11 PM
I never hunt them until the first hard frost due to bots (fly larvae). Supposedly not a big deal, but that's what i've always done.

MaryB
04-23-2015, 09:23 PM
Same here in MN squirrel and rabbit are off the table until after the first hard frost... drops the wood tick population too!

Col4570
04-24-2015, 02:23 AM
Yes we have young Greys here,they are not indigenous to the UK but where brought over as cuddly Pets from the Americas during Victorian times.since then they have settled and are common to most areas.We have in some areas the indigenous Red Squirrel,in those areas the greys are culled since they have decimated the native species in many areas.We have so many Greys here that they plant Nuts etc around our Gardens.I can see one as I type stealing off the Bird Table.My Cat ignores them she is so used to them.

BruceB
04-24-2015, 02:56 AM
Several of us recently spent a weekend shooting the "sage rat" variation of the squirrel family.

Without any exaggeration at all, we came up with a composite total of over 1500 of the little monsters sent to the great alfalfa field in the sky..... and there was no apparent difference in their density at the end of our shooting.

Talk about a "target-rich environment".... we had to rotate the rifles to prevent over-heating the barrels.

osteodoc08
04-24-2015, 05:49 AM
One day I'll make it out west for an epic shoot like that.

richhodg66
04-24-2015, 01:01 PM
I've seen some running around here this week too. Be time for some tender squirrel soon. May use cast in my hornet, cheaper than .22lr.

This was a thread I posted about cast in the Hornet on squirrels.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?263868-First-cast-kills-of-the-year

Pistol Champ
04-24-2015, 10:41 PM
I have a few young ones they line up every morning for me to give them a few pounds of sunflower seeds. I put out enough so they share with the birds.