PDA

View Full Version : Newby needs reloading help

warbird2006
04-21-2015, 10:21 AM
Hi
i started to reload cast bullets in my 38 special On my Dillon 650 set up. The bullets are .357 SWC. I put the proper head insert into my Dillon seating die but the lead is clogging the die up and I have to clean it every 20 rounds otherwise the bullets seat deeper. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

dondiego
04-21-2015, 10:57 AM
There shouldn't be any lead getting left behind in the loading process. If so, you need to flare the case so you don't shear lead. If it is lube, you may have used too much. You should be able to load several hundred before you need to clean.

mongoose33
04-21-2015, 11:12 AM
Hi
i started to reload cast bullets in my 38 special On my Dillon 650 set up. The bullets are .357 SWC. I put the proper head insert into my Dillon seating die but the lead is clogging the die up and I have to clean it every 20 rounds otherwise the bullets seat deeper. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Are you certain it's the proper head on the seating die?

If your bullets have a flat nose (likely, seems to me), and you're using a seating die insert that is for round-nose bullets, you may be shearing off a little lead from the nose of the boolit each time you seat one. That would cause a buildup of lead.

I like a flat insert in my seating die for those types of bullets.

bhn22
04-21-2015, 11:13 AM
Agreed, you need more flare on the case, the base of the bullet needs to fit completely inside the flare, plus you need to make certain that the bullet seats in the case as straight as possible. It is possible to over flare the case mouth, so be careful with your experimentation there. The case mouth still needs to be small enough to fit into the crimping die. It is also possible to over flare the case to the point that you leave a small belt (bubble actually) right behind the case mouth that makes it difficult or even impossible to chamber the round.

Echo
04-21-2015, 11:13 AM
Are you TL'ing the boolits? If so, it could be the TL that is clogging the seater plug, and if so, you are using TOO MUCH TL!. If it is lead, you need to determine from whence it cometh. The above advice is right on - if it is being sheared off, then you need a mite more flare.

fredj338
04-21-2015, 11:18 AM
More flare. If the bullet wont sit inside the case slightly, more flare.

country gent
04-21-2015, 11:30 AM
As stated check the flare of the case mouth to make sure a bullet just enters it (about .045 to .060 is good.) If the edges of the case dragon sides of bullet laed and lube will be removed making a very tenacious sticky mix. Also check to make sure bullets fit into the seating die body as this can also cause some issues pulling lead and or lube. Are you crimping and seating in the same step ( at the same time) If so a crimp going on while bullet is being pushed down can also cause this, a crimp that falls on the edge of the band or crimp groove and being set may shear a small fine ring from the band or edge of groove. Pull a couple bullets carefully and see where its coming from if possible. Look for bright spots and or scrapes on the bullets This may tell you alot more than you think it will. A tight expander coupled with to little flare may be the culprit but the above mentioned also may be part of the issues

borg
04-21-2015, 03:02 PM
You're not seating and crimping at the same time are you?

dh2
04-21-2015, 05:39 PM
I give up on Lee Axol lube for this reason

Cherokee
04-21-2015, 07:11 PM
warbird - I load 38 & 357 on my 650. Sounds like you need to adjust your powder thru die in station 2 to allow the powder funnel/expander to go deeper into the case. Screw the die a little deeper into the toolhead to give you more flare on the case mouth. The dillon funnel/expander is designed for jacketed but will work for cast bullets as well. Verify that you do have the flat seater plug in the seat die.

Edit to add: You might want to measure a few 38 cases for case length and use the shortest ones to set the case mouth bell (flare). Some cases vary .01" in length and that will impact the amount of flare on the case mouth.