PDA

View Full Version : Loads for .32 H&R?

DanLee
04-20-2015, 04:40 PM
Years ago, I bought a S&W 16-4 with the idea of using it for target shooting. A few years after that, I picked up a Lee 6-cavity TL314-85-WC mold, thinking that it would be cheaper to cast my own than buy bullets. During all those years I was working a lot and really never had time to shoot much. Now that I've retired, I'm casting the bullets and need some data on what powders and charges to use. These bullets drop at 90 grains, not 85 as advertised, though I'm not sure it makes a difference. Has anyone here used this bullet? I also have a bulk box of Hornady 90-grain HBWC bullets. Can the same data be used for both?

Dan

John C
04-20-2015, 09:02 PM
Dan;

I have used this bullet. I have the 2 cavity version. I will say that I will pay you MONEY for that mould. They stopped making it before I could get a 6 cavity version.

I typically use this bullet in .32 S&W Long, the parent case for the .32 H&R Mag. I'm loading 1.7 gr of Bullseye under 90-98 gr WC bullets. I use both Hornady and Speer HBWC for competition, and the Lee for plinking.

The S&W 16-4 is also a dream gun of mine. It should be superbly accurate. Keep your bullets very soft for the low pressures of the .32 H&R.

Good luck!

-John

MT Gianni
04-20-2015, 09:50 PM
You have both a highly collectible gun and a sought after mold. I would shoot it till I went to the rest home. If you want a heavier load try 4 gr Unique and a RCBS 98 SWC.

scottfire1957
04-20-2015, 11:39 PM
I honestly only looked in the Hornady manual, since you mentioned Hornady bullets. The answer you seek is there.

Litl Red 3991
04-21-2015, 08:58 AM
I've been working on target loads for a couple of 32mags for some months now. A couple of things have been learned so far.

Powder choice can cause problems if you're trying for milder loads. There are a number of flake powders that won't measure accurately in small charges and some of them are listed in the manuals in charge amounts that are terrible when run through auto measures, even the ones made to throw smaller charges.

I'm presently working with mostly 90-100 gr cast and have found A#5 to be good with all 3 of my favorite slugs. 3.7gr of #5 gives me around 800fps with the RCBS 90gr Cowboy and RCBS SWC. Commercial Speer HBWCs take 3.2gr of A#5 to go around that speed. The spherical powder measures accurately and reliably.

There are a number of loads published for 32mag that have starting charges smaller than some auto measures can throw if the powder is flake, much less throw accurately. So it pays to make sure your setup works reliably with whatever charges you try if the powder isn't ball/spherical. Most small cartridges are that way.

Larry Gibson
04-21-2015, 11:22 AM
In Starline 32 H&R cases you should get excellent accuracy under the WC bullet with 2.3 - 2.8 gr Bullseye depending on seating depth. The Hornady and Speer 90 HBWCs do quite well with 2.2 gr Bullseye with the WC seated flush with the case mouth. I also suggest casting the WCs relatively soft with little antimony content. I preferred 30-1 or 20-1 lead - tin alloy.

Larry Gibson

Outpost75
04-21-2015, 12:17 PM
+1 on what Larry said.

As long as you seat bullets out to not less than 1.3" overall cartridge length in H&R Mag brass, 3 grains of Bullseye is a safe and accurate load with any soft bullet of 8-10 BHN which "fits" and weighs from 85-130 grains, for use in the Ruger revolver.

DanLee
04-21-2015, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the replies. I don't have much choice about what metal to use; it's all range lead that I melted down into ingots. When I cast the bullets, I throw in a couple inches of lead-free solder wire, which I think is mostly tin and antimony and a tablespoon of shot, then drop the bullets from the mold into water. My loads thus far have used Starline brass, Remington 1 1/2 small pistol primers, 3 gr. 231, and the TL314-85-WC seated just short of flush. It didn't shoot too well at first, but then I finally pulled out the Merit aperture gizmo that had been in its original packaging since when I can't recall and stuck it to my shooting glasses. Things immediately improved and I was able to keep them all in a 2" group at 25 yards off the sandbags. I'm happy.

John C
04-21-2015, 08:35 PM
Dan;

The solder and shot you're adding to the range lead is likely hardening it. You might try to leave it as-is, and thus a tad softer than you are making it. Though it sounds like you're getting good results already.

I'm glad you're back to casting and shooting. It's a great hobby!

-John

Outpost75
04-21-2015, 09:37 PM
+1 on what John said. At mild pressures under 20kpsi typical of the. 32 H&R Mag you don't need any harder than about 10BHN. The backstop scrap should be fine as-is, if it casts well. Adding a small amount of your lead free solder to approximate 1% tin will improve fill out.

BAGTIC
04-24-2015, 05:24 PM
I like Red Dot for such light loads. Its bulk provides better charge density and more uniform ignition and complete combustion. I don't have such a quality gun as yours just an old H&R but it (I) can generally keep inside 1.5 inches at 25 yards. Someone with more than casual plinking experience as I with a revolver should do better.

DanLee
04-24-2015, 07:55 PM
I'd use Red Dot, but it doesn't meter too well. I tried it and got a number of punky loads that barely moved the bullet out of the barrel. I'll stick to the small flake and ball powders for this one.

Dan

SteveS
04-25-2015, 08:35 AM
I've had very good results using Red Dot and a 95gr. cast swc.

Saeco #325 over 3.1 grains of Red Dot in a Ruger SS is very accurate in my gun.

Jackpine
04-26-2015, 06:16 PM
Hey DL,

Not sure if you are looking for something hotter or just a light plinking load. I load 32 H&R for my wife and grandkids for cowboy action shooting and general range plinking. I like Trail Boss for the light loads. I load 2.0 gr with a 100 grain cast. They chronograph at 630 fps avg. I have also loaded 2.5 grains of Trail Boss for an average velocity of 800 fps. For the 90 grain bullet I would probably start out a .1 or .2 grains higher. Trail Boss is bulkier and I think is more consistent for the lighter loads. With lighter loads, with most pistol powders, I have found that if I seat the bullet deeper into the cases, I will generally get better consistent velocities. \

Enjoy retirement. I am sure you are learning that stuff was highly over rated!!

Jackpine