PDA

View Full Version : Questions when buying 22s becoming more and more common?

GoodOlBoy
04-19-2015, 06:38 PM
I've read several posts on the subject about this store or that store asking what boils down to unreasonable questions when folks are buying 22s, and I can easily relate. Starting a couple of years ago even my local wal-mart started asking "are these for a rifle or a pistol?", and then "what's your date of birth" when buying 22s. ANY other caliber or gauge they just shrug at the fat bald bearded greying guy (me) and sell them. But for some reason 22 long rifle shells start bringing out the questions from just about ANY chain store I buy them in, which is just odd to me. Last year I was in a gander mountain in College Station, Texas. I had JUST purchased 4 1lb cans of powder, 2k primers, and a case of shotgun shells when I noticed a display with 22s on it. I figured why not, since they were hard to come by already and handed my wife my bags before going back through checkout. Powder, primer, and shotgun shells not a question asked. 2 - 50 round boxes of 22s and they wanted my date of birth, phone number, and zip code....... They didn't get their info, and I didn't buy the 22s. They guy behind me in line bought a case of 308s and got the same result I had with my previous order....

Is it just me, or is it MOSTLY 22 long rifle shells that start the barrage of "none of your business" questions from companies now? What gives?

GoodOlBoy

montana_charlie
04-19-2015, 06:54 PM
There is probably a difference in the law governing sales of rifle ammunition and pistol ammo.
It's probably an age restriction on pistol stuff.

Now that formerly ignorant people have discovered that 22 "long rifle" ammo might be actually used in pistols, they suddenly feel a need to know which kind of firearm 'you' are purchsing for.

Petrol & Powder
04-19-2015, 07:04 PM
In Virginia you can buy rifle cartridges and shotgun shells at 18 years of age but you must be 21 to buy handgun ammunition. The law has never made sense to me but that's the law. An 18 year old can buy a box of 7mm Remington Magnum rounds or a couple of cases of shotgun shells but he can't purchase a 50 round box of .22 shorts !

There could be some type of corporate policy that mirrors that law, I don't know.

Hannibal
04-19-2015, 07:08 PM
Aside from my date if birth, everything else they get is balogna. None of their business and I find the questions intrusive and annoying.

country gent
04-19-2015, 07:12 PM
Handguns and handgun ammos age limit to purchase is 21 rifle and shotgun ammo is 18. 22 hornet, 30-30, and the madrid or rifle rounds chambered in contenders never get questioned either. There are probably as many 22 long rifle handguns as rifles so this may be a reasonable question.

dakotashooter2
04-19-2015, 10:47 PM
In this day of computerized registers many corporations have them set up so that the purchase of .22 ammunition requires age confirmation, other wise the register "locks out" and will not allow the teller to complete the sale. Basically it covers their a$$. An illegal sale is harder to make and take the responsibility out of the "not so bright", tellers hands.

Ed Barrett
04-19-2015, 11:02 PM
I was asked "Is this for a rifle or a pistol?" when buying .22 ammo, I always said it was for both.

starmac
04-19-2015, 11:06 PM
I remember being ask if it was for rifle or pistol years ago and I couldn't have been over 15 at the time. I don't remember what I told them and have not been ask for years, must be a regional thing, but it was in Texas in the early 70's when I was ask, Kmart iirc.

RogerDat
04-19-2015, 11:22 PM
You see the birthdate question for tobacco and alcohol too. And the information is punched into the register. For people who are not gray haired and distinguished looking such as myself they may ask for ID and scan it. This is almost entirely to protect the company in the event the police set up a sting (the do periodically) or a patron gets into trouble later (especially for alcohol). The store has established a clear track record of having and enforcing a policy of cashiers checking age for age related items. This puts it back on the cashier that screwed up rather than the company.

My guess is from the stores perspective entering a zip, phone and DOB is unique enough to qualify as a recorded electronic "proof" of a check for age during the sale of what is potentially pistol ammo. I think the fact that some stores are asking is the ammo for a rifle or pistol indicates the register is walking them through a series of questions. It may also be a way to "flag" fakes but until I figure it provides me with some benefit I'm going to lie to them like they are drunk blonds at closing time. Except for the rifle or pistol question then the answer is always rifle. They look at you funny when you tell them neither one, your planning to throw boxes of ammo on a bonfire. Don't ask how I know. ;-)

M-Tecs
04-19-2015, 11:45 PM
I remember being ask if it was for rifle or pistol years ago and I couldn't have been over 15 at the time. I don't remember what I told them and have not been ask for years, must be a regional thing, but it was in Texas in the early 70's when I was ask, Kmart iirc.

Under the Gun Control Act of 1968, anyone “engaged in the business” of selling ammunition was required to maintain records of ammunition sales for handguns. This was eliminated by the Fireams Owners Protection act of 1986.

fatelk
04-20-2015, 12:15 AM
I remember buying .22 ammo from the small local Coast-To-Coast store in the small town closest to the farm. This was in the late '80s. The owner/proprietor was a friendly neighbor who lived just down the road from me and had known me most of my life. My grandfather helped build his house! Years later his son and I were best man in each other's weddings.

I was maybe 18 or 19 and he had to see my ID and ask if they were for a pistol or rifle, because he couldn't sell them to me if they were for a pistol. A real by-the-book kind of guy. He also asked my mom for ID when she rented a carpet cleaner from his store.

Cmm_3940
04-20-2015, 02:33 AM
I wonder what they'd do, if when asked if they're for rifle or pistol, you responded "neither."

GoodOlBoy
04-20-2015, 03:41 AM
ok I understand federal and state laws, 18 or 21, etc etc etc....

If a fella is visably an old fart, and you don't feel the need to ask him when he buys 1000 rounds of 308 for date of birth, zip, phone, etc. Why the HECK would you need to ask him for a 50 round box of 22s??? I'm not talkin about a borderline kid who might or might not be over 21, but may be over 18 and he wants to buy them. I'm a forty year old bald bearded, greying fat man with lines wrinkles and scars. WHY is it asked for 22s but not ANYTHING else? Heck I have seen a guy buy 50 rounds of 50 bmg without a blink from a clerk get his license scanned for buying 50 rounds of 22. it don't make sense.

GoodOlBoy

Cmm_3940
04-20-2015, 07:11 AM
Because pistols are evil, have minds of their own and like to kill children. By requiring DOB To buy handgun ammo from everyone without exception, retailers are covering their butts from potential civil suits in addition to avoiding criminal charges. Think of how much a company is likely to lose due to a lawsuit filed by some son-of-obama's family in <blue-state-near-water>.

farmerjim
04-20-2015, 07:36 AM
Can I buy 38 sp for my rifle at 18?

imashooter2
04-20-2015, 07:42 AM
I'm John Smith, I was born January 1st 1910, and I live at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, DC 20500.

They want information, I give it to them.

largom
04-20-2015, 08:06 AM
Can I buy 38 sp for my rifle at 18?

The old 1968 law required proof of age for ALL ammo that COULD be used in a handgun.

Larry

jlucke69
04-20-2015, 08:51 AM
I simply tell them that I am over 21. They then just zip through the questions.

Friends call me Pac
04-20-2015, 10:13 AM
When the clerk is selling any ammo the questions keeps them from getting fired. Same as if buying booze or smokes.

MtGun44
04-20-2015, 10:20 AM
Legal requirements. Cannot sell pistol ammo to folks under 21. Most big companies
absolutely forbid employees from judging age for tobacco products, probably the same
for ammo. So - if it is for a rifle, no limit on age, or perhaps age 18, but I don't
think so. If for a pistol, must prove over 21.

Heck, most probably don't remember that after the 1968 GCA, you had to SIGN a
register with name, address, phone, etc for every ammo buy. It was a joke, many
ordinary dept stores sold .22 ammo back then and kept it in a school spiral binder,
scribbled illegibly and pages often about to fall out. Eventually, after a few decades
of this nonsense, and zero use of the registers "to solve crimes", it was cancelled.

mold maker
04-20-2015, 10:31 AM
I can't remember being ask about age or use, for the last 22s I bought. In fact I can't remember the last time I found 22s for sale. I do remember the age question before buying black powder, many years ago. I think then it was more a joke.
The whole thing has got to be a policy to show intent, in case of a later problem.
It's all a mute point, as anyone can straw purchase ammo without signature.

WILCO
04-20-2015, 10:31 AM
WHY is it asked for 22s but not ANYTHING else?

Some good answers already given. CYA in effect. I'm asked various questions at various times, in various places.

rockrat
04-20-2015, 11:06 AM
Bought some .22's in Texas last week, clerk asked me if for pistol or rifle. Told her rifle. I don't know what I am going to end up shooting them in

frkelly74
04-21-2015, 10:01 PM
I just got some 22 LR and all I was asked for was some money. I like it here in Florida most of the time.

Multigunner
04-22-2015, 10:34 AM
I remember years ago they were talking of reclassifying .30 Carbine ammunition as pistol ammunition because of the "Enforcer" pistol and Ruger revolvers chambered for that round.
Did anything come of that?

MtGun44
04-22-2015, 12:34 PM
Apparenty not, but they tried the same with M855 5.56 NATO recently due to
the AR pistols out there. Lots of Congressional pushback and they stopped it,
FOR NOW. ATF will always look for every possible nasty interpretation in order
to make buying, using and selling guns and ammunition as difficult and expensive
as they possibly can.

trapper9260
04-22-2015, 08:51 PM
Bought some .22's in Texas last week, clerk asked me if for pistol or rifle. Told her rifle. I don't know what I am going to end up shooting them in
I do the same when ask this for rifle or pistol and tell them always for rifle ,they do not need to know anything else.
I had some 22lr one time and also some pistol primers and the girl ask me this for the 22 for what and then told rifle and then she go to the primers I said well that one is easy to see what they are for. She did not say anything just cash me out and that was it.I do not give anyone anymore info then they need.

Handloader109
04-23-2015, 07:17 AM
Heck guys,if you live in Arkansas, and have a cold, you almost have to get fingerprinted to buy otc cold medications. Due to the fact that some folk make methamphetamine from the stuff, there is now law on books to get a LOT of info, including proof you need it. Ridiculous.

gbrown
04-23-2015, 09:07 AM
I've been asked 1 time in my life, that was about 10 years ago. Only place I have seen 22 ammo recently is at a local Academy store. I've bought plenty there when available. Latest was a bulk pack about 2 weeks ago. At that store, I have never been questioned, except for, "Will this be debit or credit?" Oldest grandson went in and bought some there when he was 18 or 19. They never questioned him, either. Rounds get shot out of whatever we happen to be holding at the time--rifle or pistol.

Blacksmith
04-23-2015, 10:27 AM
Tell them neither, you use them in artistic creations, and see what happens. I love giving brain overload to the ill equipped. "Manager is needed at the ammo counter"

SSGOldfart
04-23-2015, 02:21 PM
I remember them having a log book for any ammo buy, kinda nuts but if you want ammo then answer the question if not don't buy it go make it

KCSO
04-24-2015, 10:30 AM
By LAW in Nebraska and I believe South Dakta the clerk is required to determine if it is pistol or rifle ammunition and to document the age of the purchaser in a bound book. The sticker here is document that means they have to check your ID. Is this for a pistol or a rifle ? How the heck do I know I might not shoot them for 2 years or more but i have to answer than then PROVE I am over 18 if it's a rifle purchase and over 21 if its for a pistol. Don't beef at the clerk its your government making the rules.

flyingmonkey35
04-24-2015, 10:58 AM
I bought aime 20 gauge at wally world the other day and they asked for my I'd to prove I'm over 18. I'm 40 with more grey in my beard then color.

Oh well dems da rules.

dolang1
04-25-2015, 09:37 PM
My wife and I bought 6 boxes of CCI standard velocity at Wal-Mart today for $3.47 each. I was a lot happier than she was.

David2011
04-26-2015, 01:51 AM
I had completely forgotten about this law. I recall having to show ID back in the late '70s- early '80s to buy .22 rimfire ammo but don't believe I've had to show proof of age since the early '80s. I don't buy much ammunition but I know I've bought 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP and .22 LR at least one time each in Louisiana, Texas and New Mexico since then without proof of age. I've bought CCI .22 Quiet twice in Texas and Aquila Super Colibri in NM in the last year or two without ID. Could be that clerks could tell by looking that I'm closer to retirement age than 21 by a long shot.

David