PDA

View Full Version : Nost a cast kill but finally got a bird

tomcat388th
04-19-2015, 02:31 PM
Been awhile since I killed a turkey but I shot this jake this morning. Had two hens feeding right by my hen decoy and six jakes came out on the other end of my food plot about 150 yards away. Called to them and they started toward hens that were now about 30 yards out. Shot the lead jake right at 40 yards just flattened him.
I'm shooting an old mossberg 5500 12ga auto with a browning turkey choke, shell 1 5/8 buffered copper #4 handload 3 inch
Justin

shoot-n-lead
04-19-2015, 02:34 PM
Good job!

waksupi
04-19-2015, 03:36 PM
Good job. I tried calling in one yesterday, and he hung up at about 75 yards. I could just shoot one from the deck, but it doesn't seem sporting!!

runfiverun
04-20-2015, 12:00 AM
the turkeys around here are all someone's pet.
I see hundreds of them all out in the back yard waiting for the feeder to turn on or the old lady that lives there to come out and feed them like pigeons.

osteodoc08
04-20-2015, 12:49 AM
the turkeys around here are all someone's pet.
I see hundreds of them all out in the back yard waiting for the feeder to turn on or the old lady that lives there to come out and feed them like pigeons.

Mmmm. Grain fed. Sounds even tastier.

s mac
04-20-2015, 01:08 PM
My buddy and I both got a bird this morning, opening day here in MO, something I look forward to every spring.

Wolfer
04-22-2015, 06:13 PM
Me and my hunting buddy just got back from Nebraska last night. We only got one each but we couldn't stay very long.

Driving down the highway home we saw the most turkeys after we got in Missouri.

Probably be the weekend before I get to go here and I can't wait!

That's me on the left. My birds bigger than his but he scooted forward to make his look bigger.
Hunting buddies cannot be trusted!

smokeywolf
04-22-2015, 06:42 PM
MMMMMM... Smoked turkey. Looking forward to living where I can harvest a turkey each year.

Good going gents.

smokeywolf

nagantguy
04-22-2015, 08:47 PM
Tomorrow me and my brother will be out, the first couple.days it was real real.windy and snow rain sleet mix, seen 3 hens. Saturday my daughter will be with me, supposed to be 50 and clear...trying to pick the good days to take her, success and relative comfort are important far the young uns. If ya get froze to a tree frost bit toes and hog cut before 11 it might just turn you off the hunting seen. Love sitting out with her, we Sit close and watch the wonder of Gods master piece come to life with the promise of dawn. She whispers all her 10 year old secrets to me and I try and teach her a few things each outing. And she thinks we are just hunting.

roverboy
04-23-2015, 05:45 PM
Congratulations to you all.

CastingFool
04-23-2015, 09:44 PM
Congrats on your bird, Tomcat. Last year I shot a jake, too. Had a big hardwood flooring project I was working on, and chose to shot the jake, rather than holding out for a longbeard, just so I could get back to my project. Looking forward to my season, that starts on May 4.

Wasalmonslayer
04-23-2015, 11:44 PM
Congrats and job well done!

DLCTEX
04-24-2015, 03:49 PM
A fellow up the road advise to be on the lookout for a turkey with his arrow in it. It apperared to be healthy a few days later and the arrow seemed to be no hinderance to him.