PDA

View Full Version : A sign of the times??

Gussy
03-12-2008, 06:39 PM
As most of you know, I sell lead testers. Sales are up on testers.

A sign of the times..... A lot of lead buyers are getting burned. These are mostly the "new guys". Ones who are just getting into casting. The "old guys" can make damn near any alloy shoot in something they have, and they will buy any lead/alloy if the price is right.

The trouble is, the new guys are buying "pure lead the guy said" stuff. Then.. the bad news sets in. I will say its been good for business!!

Just be careful when finding a good deal if you're not positive of what you are buying. If the guy says "pure lead", drop a chunk on an edge on a hard surface like concrete. If it's a dull thud and it dents a lot where it hit, it probably is. If it rings at all it isn't. Pure lead will have a dull grey color after it's been around a while. WW or alloys tend to be shinny, but, just cast lead is also shinny for a bit.

If you don't know your source, be careful.

jleneave
03-12-2008, 08:30 PM
What type of lead testers do you sell? Is there a website that I can check out prices and the type of testers that you sell?? Thanks

Jody

IcerUSA
03-13-2008, 12:19 AM
Just click on CastingStuff in the links at the bottom of the page , Gussy has good stuff . :)

Keith

MGySgt
03-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Their Lead Tester is Top Notch - I have had one for about 5 years Works Great

Drew

idahoron
03-14-2008, 03:34 PM
I think that would be me. I got my tester yesterday, and I am very happy with it. For the guys that didn't hear the conversation. I got some "pure lead" from EBAY. After I cast the first bullets I knew I had been took. My favorite mould throws 384 to 385 every time with soft lead. These threw 372 and instead of them being bright and shinny, they were frosted and dull. Well I used the Cabin tree tester and the lead is right at 22 BHN. This is just too hard for a Muzzleloader.
Anyway I know a guy with 500 pounds of lead to get rid of. I won't buy a pound of it until I test it first.
Thanks again for the tester and it was easy to use. I might have to see if I can trade this hard lead for some soft. Ron