PDA

View Full Version : Sprue plate wobble fixed?

minmax
04-19-2015, 05:26 AM
A few days ago, I posted another thread on a recently acquired mould. That I was having problems with. I'd like to thank everyone for there suggestions.
I could not fine a wave washer at my local hardware store. Dusty Bannister (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?17400-Dusty-Bannister), PM'ed me and suggested making my own. I told him that was a slap on the forehead moment. The problem I had was the diameter of the bolt and the size of the sprue plate hole. I going to try a brass compression fitting and see if it works.

Edit To Post:

What happened was when I received this mold. The sprue plate would Not Move. When I loosened the set screw. Then loosened the sprue plate bolt, so that the sprue plate would move. The split washer that was on the mold, sprung up to much and caused the sprue plate to have a large gap and a lot of movement. Which is shown in the first two pictures. I had another thread that I started. Under: Hi all, sprue plate to tight and when loosened it wobbles. I could not find a wave washer at my local hardware store. The last two pictures is what I came up with. A new 10"x32" cup head screw and a brass farrlue from the plumbing department. Since the new bolt diameter was smaller than the hole in the sprue plate. Using the brass farrlue the same diameter as the bolt. Allowed me to get the right amount tension I needed. Like what Le Loup Solitaire suggest.

I'm sorry I did not put enough information. I can not type fast or spell/dyslexia, in fact this post took about 30 minutes to type.

histed
04-19-2015, 06:13 PM
Did you also use a longer screw or was the original long enough?

minmax
04-19-2015, 06:29 PM
No I replaced it with a 10x32 socket head cup screw.

Le Loup Solitaire
04-19-2015, 08:43 PM
The "tightness" of the sprue plate to the top of the blocks is important. Just for general info...if it is too tight it will interfere with the escape of air resulting in poor fillout of the bullet usually in the base & base band. If too loose it can slop around and permit wedge shaped bases or allow alloy to get between the plate and the top of the blocks resulting in smears etc. The plate should lie flat on the blocks and should swing free on its own weight so that when the blocks are tilted the plate should slide freely. That is considered the ideal arrangement and should help produce the best castings. LLS

osteodoc08
04-19-2015, 11:14 PM
I set mine as LLS has suggested and tighten down the set screw. A lil but of sprue plate lube and I'm raining bullets in the bucket.