PDA

View Full Version : What does a lube star on muzzle mean?

Patrick L
04-18-2015, 09:09 PM
I know I've seen references to this before but just didn't really pay attention to it since it didn't apply to me.

Last night I set my .223 bolt gun upright against the bench as I was preparing to pack up things for the range this weekend. This gun is relatively new to me as my latest project is to start shooting .223 cast. I've shot lots of .30 caliber cast and pistol cast over the last 25+ years, but the little guy is new territory to me. Anyhow, I notice the perfect "lube star" on the rifle's muzzle. I have never seen this on one of my guns before, just pictures of them posted by others, or maybe it was something I saw in print. I honestly can't recall where or when, just that I have.

I know this is supposed to indicate something, but I can't recall what. Was it that I'm using too much lube?

kungfustyle
04-18-2015, 09:14 PM
Means that you used enough lube and the right kind for the speed that your driving your Boolits to. Ya did good!!!!!

frnkeore
04-18-2015, 09:23 PM
One of the best things it can do for you, is tell you whether or not the crown is good on your barrel. It needs to be even, all the way around.

Frank

ohland
04-18-2015, 09:27 PM
perfect "lube star" on the rifle's muzzle

Nice to have, as others have pointed out, that means there's enough Lūb to protect the boolit all the way out of the muzzle. If there was insufficient Lūb, you would get leading towards the muzzle.

runfiverun
04-18-2015, 10:04 PM
actually it means the lube is being flung off the boolit starting at that point, it's because the lube is still flowing.

pworley1
04-18-2015, 11:22 PM
Congratulations.

SSGOldfart
04-18-2015, 11:36 PM
Yep congratulations your there

Patrick L
04-19-2015, 06:27 AM
Oh OK, so this is a good thing!

Good, one less thing to worry about. Thanks for the replies!

44man
04-19-2015, 08:33 AM
If I don't have one on my revolvers, I go back to the drawing board.
You have what is needed, good job.

fouronesix
04-19-2015, 09:03 AM
Yep, normal and usually a good thing. Even jbullet and un-lubed loads will leave a "star" at the muzzle. A lube star is an important indicator of enough lube when shooting regular cast loads, muzzleloaders and BPCRs. It's the pressurized gas, fouling and lube mixture behind the bullet that causes it. Just as the bullet's base clears the muzzle the pressurized gas (with all the stuff like fouling and lube) is released from around the bullet base and is deposited on the muzzle face- normally in the pattern of the lands and grooves.

quack1
04-19-2015, 11:07 AM
Not only does it tell you have enough lube, a greasy, wet looking star can indicate too much lube. I have been working with a new to me 25-20, and a couple of loads were showing promise, but I noticed the star was wet looking. I cut the lube from two grooves (Lyman 257283) full to just one and groups tightened noticeably. A lot of the older design molds have generous provisions for lube, which was needed with the simple lubes available then. Often you can get by with less of the newer and better lubes. Doesn't always make a difference, but if you notice a wet looking star, it's worth a try.

jonp
04-19-2015, 03:10 PM
Just like the others said, Good Job! I am finding that the Bens 60/40 has less of a star if any than other lubes and still a crystal clean barrel with no leading.

osteodoc08
04-19-2015, 03:32 PM
Lube is doing its job and crown cut correctly. No worries