ovendoctor
03-12-2008, 03:06 PM
yep I got hosed by one of our own

bought a new lyman 311644 ran a half dozen boolets

they run .307-.308 out of round and undersized

the mix I use is 50/50 lead/linotype = to No 2 lyman mix

it even bounced around in side the .310 sizer die[so the mic;s.are ok]

I slugged the bore on the rifle and I measured .309 so .310 should work

sent in for service ,after 3 weeks I called to see were they are at with the new mold

after the run around I finaly got a tech and he sez there is nothing wrong with it

its with in tollerence

I thought wen a mold is sized [Ie.311] it comes out at .311 or larger

not so sez the tech. it is a guide line for .30 cal not .311 size

other molds [LYMAN included] usually run the size or larger

I just cant stand the thought of having to beagel a brand new mold

30+of casting,I never had this problem before

any ideas will be help full to remedie the problem

got a call from LYMAN today

they found a mold that cast .3105-.311

we will see how it works wen it get's here

dubber123
03-12-2008, 03:18 PM
If it's only .001" out of round, you're lucky. I have some new Lymans that are well over that spec. The way undersize is a real bummer, and no realistic fix either.

Tom W.
03-12-2008, 03:25 PM
I just don't like Lyman, Prefer RCBS. They're more robust , at least to me.

Riverrat
03-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Oven Doctor

I am unsure of the meaning of "Beagel". I am a new guy here and am still learning.

Riverrat

wiljen
03-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Oven Doctor

I am unsure of the meaning of "Beagel". I am a new guy here and am still learning.

Riverrat

Here is the article on beagling a mold.

http://www.castpics.net/memberarticles/Bullet%20Diameter%20Enlargement.htm

Boomer Mikey
03-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Oven Doctor

Riverrat

One of our members "Beagle" developed a method to produce larger bullets from undersized molds.

This is a link to his article in castpics:

http://www.castpics.net/memberarticles/Bullet%20Diameter%20Enlargement.htm

Boomer :Fire:

Hayfield
03-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Oven doctor, This is all very timely in my case also. I just mailed Lyman my 311041 mold yesterday as it drops bullets .310+ to .309+. I too thought that it would be .311 as in '311'041. Now the .310 would be fine in the 03s but I'll need at least a .311 in the m39. Humpf! I guess when they send it back to me I'll do that grinding compound/bullet-in-the-mold thing. I only need the base or two band widened as the nose is fine at .301+ to .300+. Funny thing, I probably have two dozen Lyman molds and they all drop wide. I can size them down but not up.

Riverrat
03-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Thanks Boomer!! And a thank you to beagle also! This is the kind of information I need.

HORNET
03-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Based on what I've seen lately, I believe that new Lyman molds tend to run somewhat smaller than old Lyman's. I think they changed their specs a while back when all the 'gunwriters' started screaming that sizing ruined the accuracy potential.
Those .30's are tough for them to call anyway. They used to run pretty much .295 on the nose so they'd chamber in 7.5 K-31 barrels and ran .312 so they'd fill the grooves on .311 Krags and SMLE's. Now they seem to make them to current sporter barrel specs and nobody else is happy. Especially if they use a softer alloy.
You could either Beagle it or lap it. If the out-of-round is larger in line with the witness line from the block faces, Beagling should make them rounder as well as bigger. How's the nose fit the bore? If it fits good, a .310 gas check might still seal things off well enough to work, even with a smaller-than-desired body.

Bret4207
03-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Sell the sucker on Ebay. You'll get $15.00 more than you paid for it and you can try another mould, or maker for that matter.

waksupi
03-12-2008, 09:06 PM
I do believe, I would ask for my money back.

Marlin Junky
03-12-2008, 09:40 PM
It could be (assuming you've got things up to temp and the mold is clean) that Lyman's tooling could be getting worn. I've got a 311644 that casts right around .310 (too narrow for my old Marlins) that is for sale. It has one gascheck cavity and one plain base cavity. PM me if interested. There should be some pics around here somewhere... let me see if I can locate them.

MJ

P.S. Here's a pic:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5194&d=1193902236

ovendoctor
03-13-2008, 08:48 AM
the game plan is the two bands are going to get machined out to.312:mrgreen:

my hunting buddy can fix the problem

Riverrat ;welcome to the site:drinks:

the redneck dictionary definition of BEAGLE;the howling and barking of a castboolit shooter that got stuck with an under sized mold by LYMAN:mrgreen:

mroliver77
03-13-2008, 01:58 PM
I always consider a Lyman or Lee mold a crapshoot when buying. I have had pretty good outcome with lapping.
J

Hayfield
03-13-2008, 04:11 PM
I just got the call from Lyman that I expected concerning the 311041 that I sent them as my 'assumption' that it should mic at .311 was not the case. As the gentleman explained it was in spec I apologized to him and explained that I had found out the day after sending it that it was a .310 bullet. He's sending it back. I'll use it for the 03s and maybe the K-31 and keep checking here for a .311+ flat meplat recommendation for the Finn.

ovendoctor
03-19-2008, 08:29 PM
yep they sent another mold [smilie=1:

had to beagel it .008 to get to size to .310 with lino type:groner:

well I guess if ya want it done right ya gotta do it your self

going to get the two driving bands milled out to .312 so there is some lead to size

as for lyman they lost a customer this isn't any different than buying bull **** from china

so much for made in America

Kirk Miller
03-20-2008, 01:01 AM
10-4 on everything said. As a newb to casting but not reloading I naturally went to Lyman for my first mold. The 311291 casts .311 on the base band but .305-.307 on the drive bands. I won't be buying any new Lyman products.
Kirk

Buckshot
03-20-2008, 01:55 AM
..................Both Kirk and Ovendoctor need to E-mail Lyman, or better yet, actually write a short note to them letting them know of your displeasure and your plans for avoiding ALL LYman products. Spend the 41 cents and the 10 minutes. It WILL have an impact on them.

................Buckshot

Bass Ackward
03-20-2008, 06:48 AM
No mold maker for the last few decades has had great demand for their products. So one guy probably did just about everything. And if you do something long enough .................

Now? Today? Vendors, like Midway, are screaming for molds! Why Lyman is even getting calls for cake cutters. :grin: Yep, you should have heard them laughing in the background.

In today's world of just in time delivery, they probably have the secretaries using hand drills working on the sink counters in the bathroom trying to keep up with mold demand. If you think you have outta round now, just wait for a couple of years to see the popularity of this board and the threads complaining.

Did I tell you that a secretary probably doubles as the QC inspector? :grin:

Ben
03-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Easy to see why I said the following in this thread :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=27663

ovendoctor
03-20-2008, 08:20 PM
I talked to the tech.on the phone

his response Quote;there is nothing I can do about it,Ill try to find a larger mold..

ill get the driving bands milled out to .312

jeff my hunting compodery can do the milling at work

they have the equipment to do the alteration

might cost me a batch of hot sticky buns at break time [well worth it]:drinks:

Buckshot; they will be getting a nasty gram as soon as I can speak decently to them [now is not a good time]

is it ok to mention this posting on cast boolits to them and see wat there response is?

Bass Ackward;My wife [redneckdan's mom] wants to know why its the secretary's
fault for the mold
also; they're no longer called secretaries, rather "Administrative Assistants"... which, by the way... "Administrative Professionals Day" is coming up on April 23rd. Ovendoctor's "Administrative Assistant" will probably be the one composing that letter to that wonderful company!

sorry guys she wrestled the key board away:coffeecom

rmb721
03-20-2008, 08:49 PM
If you write a letter to Lyman, write to the president of the company, not customer service.

Buckshot
03-21-2008, 02:37 AM
................It would not be the secretary's fault (sorry, nothing wrong with the word 'Secretary' and I'm not PC) rather it would be the fault of the supervisor for putting a person without the skills or knowledge into such a position. If some moron put me in a position to write code for computers they'd soon have a mel of a hess on their hands :-)

................Buckshot

Lumpie
03-21-2008, 03:51 AM
................It would not be the secretary's fault (sorry, nothing wrong with the word 'Secretary' and I'm not PC) rather it would be the fault of the supervisor for putting a person without the skills or knowledge into such a position. If some moron put me in a position to write code for computers they'd soon have a mel of a hess on their hands :-)

................BuckshotOnce upon a time there was a place called the USA. There lived people, that not only worshiped God, they also took pride in their jobs. This place then was made up of people, that said not what can you do for me? They took pride in the fact that they wanted to meet, or exceed the expectations of their employer. They had no cumputor to pound, they studied their responsibility to their employer. THEY WANTED A JOB. Now having said this I would like to address a little that I know. Being a casting rat, I watched my father, and grandfather cast bullets to HUNT with. This was in the late forties.
On the casting table were moulds such as a Ideal 8 cavity armory mould, and a 3 cavity Cramer. These by the way I still own. The Ideal mould was designed by the U.S Army to shoot in the 03 springfield, and the 98 Krag. They were used in the armories of our great country. The cost of jacketed bullets were too high, for a lot of shooting. Hence sprang forth casted bullets for the reserves to pratice with. Now having said all of this, I would like to tell you what you get! Ideal 1 part nickel Babbit 9 parts dead lead. Bullets come out .3132. They only vary 1-2 grains, out of a hundred year old mould. Cramer 3 cavity 191grs. 1-1.5 grs var. 87 year old mould. .313 Moral of the story is people just don't give a damn in more about their products. They think that because they can not tell s..t from wild honey, then we must be the same way. We if we settle for crap,then we get what we deserve. Lumpie Ps. Bullets from these moulds have killed over 150 head of big game!

Paul B
03-21-2008, 02:42 PM
If you write a letter to Lyman, write to the president of the company, not customer service.

The following is a letter I sent to Lyman's CEO regarding a problem I had with one of their products and the conduct of their customer service representatives. To this date, I have not received any kind of reply, apology or any sense of regret that Lyman's customer service didn't give a damn about my problem with their equipment.
JMHO, but go ahead and send a letter of complaint to Lyman's CEO if you think it will do any good. Methinks you'll just be pissing up a rope.
Paul B.

September 9, 2007

CEO
Lyman Product Corporation
475 Smith St.
Middletown, CT 06457

Dear CEO

My apologies as I do not know your name. I have been a user of Lyman products for well over 50 years, bullet moulds (over 100, mostly Lyman‘s), dies, (at least six), three brass tumblers and the Power Trimmer just to name a few.
Recently, my Power Trimmer’s cord shorted out and literally cut itself in two. When I called customer service to get a new cord, it took five minutes while I listened to the phone ring before someone answered. No, not being place on hold, just no answer. Then, when I asked about getting the cord, I’m told that they do not have one listed. I then asked what should I do about getting my machine fixed? “I find no cord listed” was the reply. So I ask, “Am I supposed to pay another $260 plus shipping and handling to buy another machine? Again, “I have no cord listed.” I’m working under time constraints trying to get a batch of ammo loaded for a match, and trimming with the old fashion hand crank is out of the question.
Frankly, due to the rudeness of your customer service representative, I’m considering no longer purchasing any Lyman products.
For the record, I also had to order parts for an adding machine through the maker, Casio. A five minute phone call and the part is on the way. Total politeness from a service rep who was glad to do business, and not a person that apparently didn’t want to bother.

Respectfully,

Paul B.