PDA

View Full Version : Leaving large glass bottles in small pond overwinter is a bad ideal

ohland
04-17-2015, 02:22 PM
I was gingerly removing the parts of three (3) three pound glass honeyjars from the garden pool so my Belle wouldn't get hurt while ponding. Did good until the last handful, some glass nicked me. Hardly felt it, and after all the raspberry and rose bushes, it didn't seem more than pressure. Looked down and there was a bit of red (wet hands made it spread wider). Cleaned it off, peroxide followed by Neosporin, then a bandaid. Little cut, maybe 1/4" long, looked like a paper cut...

waksupi
04-17-2015, 03:05 PM
Why the jars in the pool? If you just want to prevent ice damage in the winter, use an old blacksmith trick. Putting the end of a 4X4 tilted at an angle in the quench barrel will prevent damage.

ohland
04-17-2015, 06:38 PM
Why the jars in the pool?

During the non-frozen months, there is a northern animal, akin to the moose, that prefers water. I call it the Great Northern Brittany... She loves the mini-King Tut Papyrus, and if nothing is dissuading her like bobbing partially full objects, she will bob for plants...

Bad Water Bill
04-18-2015, 04:30 PM
Start using PLASTIC pop bottles.

Now you can train her to "fetch the red one"

Plastic ones will split and sink to the bottom where you can retrieve them in the spring with your trusty Muskie net.:bigsmyl2: