PDA

View Full Version : Lube and chambering question for my Dan Wesson Razorback 10mm

chutestrate
04-17-2015, 02:07 PM
This something I may just have to accept which is fine, but thought I would ask for advice. I知 using the (401-175 TC) truncated cone Lee mold sized to .401, and Lee Alox. I find that after 5-6 firings the slide does not fully close on the new cartridge being fed into the chamber. It took a while to really understand it, but I found that if I brush out the chamber cartridges would feed again for a few shots.
Now on lead boolits that are not lubed with Alox they feed fine. I知 thinking that I need to change the lube for these slugs. If I do that how would that affect sizing? Would I use Alox to size, and somehow remove it from the slug, and use a different lube?

If I use jacketed I don't have any of these issues.

These are just thought I知 kicking around.

Thank you for any advice you might have

MBTcustom
04-17-2015, 02:14 PM
Use case sizing lube to size if you need to do that in a separate step, then lube and size again to wipe it flush.
I use this process when making GC bullets.
However, for just straight PB cast, I would think you just lube the bullets as dropped, and then push them through the sizer. Same process you use now, just a different lube.

chutestrate
04-17-2015, 02:23 PM
Thanks Tim, but I think I'm missing some of what you are suggesting. Are you suggesting I use two applications of case lube on unsized slugs, size them, and then lube with a different lube?

Thanks!!

fredj338
04-17-2015, 03:34 PM
What other lube are you using that is NOT causing the problem? I suspect the buildup is from excess lube ahead of the front driving band. Maybe just wiping them off will work?

chutestrate
04-17-2015, 04:06 PM
I'm sure it is excess lube. Alox is the only lube i use. I tried wiping down, but that stuff is tough. I'm going to try Tim's suggestion, and lube with something else that will keep the nose clean

dondiego
04-17-2015, 04:25 PM
You are likely using an excess of Alox. It should not cause the boolit to be brown, only very light tan. Dilute with mineral spirits and use sparingly.

Edit - One more post using this handle!

Elkins45
04-17-2015, 07:02 PM
You are likely using an excess of Alox. It should not cause the boolit to be brown, only very light tan. Dilute with mineral spirits and use sparingly.

I agree. It sounds like your lube coating is too thick, which happens often with tumble lube.

khmer6
04-17-2015, 11:04 PM
Dilute. If it was a fresh batch with the kit that hasn't been sitting around on someone's store shelf it's ok. But most of the time that stuff is thicker than snot. You can try using lee case lube mixed with water to size the boolits. I find it a lot easier and less messier than sizing with alox

Blackwater
04-17-2015, 11:17 PM
One other thing to check out, especially if you're seating and crimping in the same step, is the possibility that in doing so, the bullet is still going down into the case as the crimp is being applied, and this pushes up a tiny little "ring" of lead in front of the crimp. That tiny little ring can sometimes be sheared off at the chamber mouth, and thereby "shorten" the actual length of the chamber by gumming up the very front of it. This is easily solved by crimping as a separate step. I've found that if I crimp in a separate step, my problems with autoloaders mostly just go away, never to bother me again. FWIW?

MtGun44
04-18-2015, 06:26 PM
Go to a normal lube and keep all that gook off the outside. We switched to
"inside lubricated" boolits in about 1890s (except for the .22 LR ) for a
reason. Goops up the gun, gathers lint and sand, generally a PITA, which
is why I won't use the stuff. One exception is full WC in .38 Spl where
the whole boolit is inside the case. Even then, the goop on the front is
not helpful.