PDA

View Full Version : lyman 45 lube sizer

krallstar
04-16-2015, 08:56 AM
I just won on ebay. it came with a .357 die with no o ring. Noticed the newer dies have the ring. Can i use these newer dies. It seems someone tried to open it up. I think it might not be sizing straight. The sizing marks seem to only be around 3/4 of the boolit. When i try to size boolit it looks kinda rough. I cleaned it up all parts move freely but seems to require a bit of pressure to size. Also do the new lyman lube dies run large or small from advertised size. Sizing from .360 to .358

wmitty
04-16-2015, 11:38 AM
I've several of these and no problem using newer dies. The alignment problem is real and I'm still trying to overcome it by using a flat faced top punch to push the boolit into the die. A boolit which is too soft will be easily damaged by any slight misalignment between the top punch and the die body. Maybe someone will jump in who knows of a solution to this problem; other than upgrading to a 4500.

45-70 Chevroner
04-16-2015, 11:50 AM
You will have to be careful with the #45 as it is pron to handle breakage. That said I have two of them mounted on my bench. If your boolit are coming out rough you may have to polish it with 200 grit wet and dry sand paper. If the boolit is only going in 3\4 of the way it needs to be adjusted to allow the boolit to go down far enough to get all the lube groves filled with lube. I would go on line to Lyman's web site and print off a set of instructions. The same adjustment instructions will work with all of Lyman's models, even though they are all different.
The best way to completely clean it is to take it apart and boil it in a big pot then blow dry with an air hose.

Shiloh
04-16-2015, 05:17 PM
I have one of these I need to get running. Post your results when you get it running.

Shiloh

Geezer in NH
04-16-2015, 08:57 PM
Don't seat the top punch with the screw let it stick up with bullet lube it finds the true center. Long known around us older guys

typz2slo
04-17-2015, 08:05 AM
Don't seat the top punch with the screw let it stick up with bullet lube it finds the true center. Long known around us older guys

Great tip on not using the set screw for the top punch. Thanks for the information for us not so seasoned casters. I like my Lyman 45. If one understands that you have to be a little more gentle with it than other sizers there shouldnt be any problems with it I can see.

Virginia John
04-17-2015, 08:11 AM
Once you figure it out, you will be very happy with it.

krallstar
04-17-2015, 08:23 AM
Thanks, I love using vintage equipment. That's a good tip. Makes sense.