PDA

View Full Version : 577/450 out of 28GA

abunaitoo
04-15-2015, 10:59 PM
I don't have a HM rifle.
But I'm just thinking out of the box.
Is it possible to form the case out of a plastic shell?????
The original was a foil wrap with a solid base.
If the plastic could be heated and formed, I think it just may work.

Mk42gunner
04-15-2015, 11:51 PM
I don't have one of the rifles, either.

My initial reaction is no; because the plastic would be too thick, and the shoulder of the case will probably collapse when necking it down.

A fairly inexpensive way to try would be to go to hardware store and buy a black iron bell reducer of appropriate size (guessing at 1/2" to 3/8") then try heating a case and shoving it in. A mandrel inside the caseneck may help. Polishing the inside of the pipe fitting would probably help too.

A heat gun will probably be better than a propane torch for heat, at least for keeper cases.

I can't honestly say that I have ever tried to heat and reform shotshell plastic.

If this works, you will have every single person that has ever reformed brass cases mad at you. Either that or they will be slapping them selves in the forehead going "Why didn't I think of that?"

Robert

abunaitoo
04-16-2015, 05:32 PM
If I can find some 28ga shells, I'll give it a try.
Looks like an interesting project.

fred2892
04-16-2015, 06:45 PM
Usual way to make 577/450 cases is from magtech 24gauge brass. Anneal, lube, run through Lee 577/450 sizer.......simple!

ascast
04-17-2015, 06:13 AM
ya 24 ga good luck using 28, let us know if you get it in

abunaitoo
04-17-2015, 04:42 PM
Sorry. 24ga is correct.
Getting old.

Tackleberry41
04-20-2015, 09:23 AM
I can't see how a plastic shell would work. Plastic is thicker than brass, so sized on the outside would be undersized inside, then once a bullet was in the neck, it probably wouldn't chamber. Just dont see a plastic shotgun shell holding the shape or holding a bullet very well.

abunaitoo
04-22-2015, 06:40 PM
It might not work.
The original case was a kind of foil. I would think the plastic case would be a little stiffer.
As far as the thickness of the plastic, it might be to thick.
I'll just have to see.
Couldn't find any empty shell this weekend.

Ballistics in Scotland
04-23-2015, 01:29 PM
I seem to remember that there are 24ga plastic shells on the US market somewhere, but they are primed, and possibly difficult to send by mail and unwise to heat. They might be suitable for making reenactment blanks, but probably not much cheaper than Magtech brass. Apart from excessive thickness, it is likely that the thickness would end up greater on one side than the other, with bad effects on accuracy.

I have some Magtech cases for a 24ga shotgun. Those overseas might like to know that Buffalo Arms could export them to individuals, as shotgun cases, when they can't with rifle or pistol brass. Their use will work, but some have reported that it doesn't last well with even full power black powder loads. It tends to split at the rim. Possibly some sort of brass cup or rubbery internal base could be inserted before necking down.

Mk42gunner
04-24-2015, 05:45 AM
I too forgot that the .577/450 used 24 gauge shells as the parent case, so I kind of tried to forget about this idea. Didn't work too well, I still think about it some.

One suggestion before anybody goes so far as to actually spend money on 24 ga shells that may or may not work: try necking any gauge plastic shotshell down to prove the idea first.

I haven't fired a shotgun in quite a while, I may have to so I can try necking it down to report back....

Robert

Tackleberry41
04-24-2015, 08:19 AM
The 24 ga work fine. A bit of work to form them.

FrankG
05-31-2015, 10:50 PM
I use the 32 ga for 43 Egyptian and light loads . Works fine .

abunaitoo
06-01-2015, 11:42 PM
After looking around for some 24ga hulls, I asked a friend who is a shotgunner (I am not).
He said he's never seen a 24ga shotgun. He's heard of them, but never seen one.
Are they that rare?????
Kind of like looking for a Mossberg Model "L".
I've been looking for one for over 20 years.

Mk42gunner
06-02-2015, 07:34 AM
I'm fifty and like your friend, I have heard of the 24 ga, but have never seen one. I think they were more common in Europe than North America, and I would guess that most of the ones here came home on troop ships after WWII.

With that stated, my BPI catalog has a small amount of 24 ga hulls and wads. Surprised me.

Robert

Tackleberry41
06-02-2015, 08:01 AM
I cant say I have ever seen a 24 ga shotgun. Never seen shells for sale either. Must be a european thing, and may not even sell them anymore. Just glad magtech makes the brass cases, or martinis would be alot more expensive to shoot.

skeettx
06-02-2015, 05:47 PM
Fausti makes or made both 32 and 24 gauge over under shotguns
We have one of each and they are a hoot to shoot.
You need to reload to increase the effectiveness of the ammo.

See here

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=24ga

(http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=24ga)

reed1911
06-08-2015, 10:05 AM
Usual way to make 577/450 cases is from magtech 24gauge brass. Anneal, lube, run through Lee 577/450 sizer.......simple!

You'll need to school me on how you do this, I cannot get it happen, my cases crush if this is attempted. I have to neck them down in two steps before I can run them into the FL die.

John Allen
06-08-2015, 10:29 AM
This is my next project. I picked up a Martini Henry with a super clean bore. Hopefully I do not screw up to many when forming.

Tackleberry41
06-08-2015, 11:16 AM
You'll need to school me on how you do this, I cannot get it happen, my cases crush if this is attempted. I have to neck them down in two steps before I can run them into the FL die.

You will mangle alot of cases trying to form them in just a couple steps.

I have reduced loses from half the box to 3 maybe 4 out of a box of 25. Anneal first thing, I screw the die in just barely, it will only round over the top edge. Then crank it in 1/2 a turn, run them thru again, 1/2 a turn. You can usually get 4 trips thru the dies before they work harden, anneal again, keep cranking the die in 1/2 a turn at a time. You usually don't need the die to touch the shell holder, when it gets close start checking if they will chamber, stop sizing when they do.

If you get a kink in the soft brass, usually best to chuck it. I have not found a way to get them out, looks like it, but next trip thru the die its back, just works its way down the neck. But annealing and going slow reduces it alot.

Ed in North Texas
06-28-2015, 02:28 PM
As for cases, 24 Gauge plastic cases must be available somewhere. I was at Old Fort Henry, Kingston, Ontario Canada last year and their demonstration of the Snider rifles used plastic shotshells and holy black. They spent a bit of time picking up cases after the group demonstration, they reload and use the blanks again. Seemed kind of odd to see original Snider rifles being fired and then dumping out yellow plastic hulls. Good show though.

Obviously the .577 Snider blank doesn't need a neck.

FrankG
06-28-2015, 04:50 PM
It is a long drawn out process but forming from 24g is doable .

Heres a thread on doing it .

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?269573-Forming-577-450