PDA

View Full Version : Hi all, sprue plate to tight and when loosened it wobbles.

minmax
04-15-2015, 10:25 PM
I picked up an Ohaus .45 cal 200gn swc.
The mould id in great shape. Other than I could not move the sprue plate. I loosened the set screw and backed out the pivot bolt.
It has a split washer and if back out the bolt so the sprue plate moves, there is enough upward tension from the split washer on the plate to cause it to lift up and wobble. What suggestions do you have. As the wave washers from other moulds have a different diameters. I remember the last time I looked for wave washers I had a hard time, unless I wanted 1000 of them.

ohland
04-15-2015, 10:41 PM
It has a split washer and if back out the bolt so the sprue plate moves, there is enough upward tension from the split washer on the plate to cause it to lift up and wobble.

What I'm reading makes sense if the split washer is UNDER the sprue plate? A thousand pardons, english is a melange of meanings...

With a Lyman mold, the split washer is under the hex head of the bolt, on top of the sprue plate, and the force from the split washer is applied downward onto the top of the sprue plate. The sprue plate is forced downward onto the top of the mold.

What I do to make a split washer turn less with moving the sprue is to hold the split washer with vise grips and use a belt sander to grind down the sharp ends of the split washer. Not much grinding is needed, all you need to do is flatten the upper and lower split ring ends so they do not dig into the sprue plate. Makes it a whole lot easier to keep the plate swinging easily during casting.

minmax
04-15-2015, 11:24 PM
The split washer is under the bolt on top of the sprue. As I said it backwards, the spring in the split washer, has a downward pressure on top of the plate.
When loosened enough to move the sprue plate, there is a 1/32'" gap. I tried to take a picture, but I need three hands.

borg
04-16-2015, 02:00 AM
It is a used mold.
It could be a warped sprue plate.

minmax
04-16-2015, 06:24 AM
Yes, it is used.
I took off the sprue plate and laid it on a 1/4" thick sheet glass and it seems to be flat. I measure the diameter of the pivot hole and the bolt later this afternoon.

Tatume
04-16-2015, 06:46 AM
I suggest you remove the split washer and replace it with a bowed washer.

Also be certain the set screw is adjusted correctly. This screw impinges on the pivot bolt for the sprue plate. Adjust the sprue pivot bolt to the correct tension (I like mine to touch but with minimal pressure), then tighten the set screw. If your mold doesn't have a set screw, you can easily install one by drilling and tapping the block. Drop a #7-1/2 shot down the hole before you install the screw.

Cmm_3940
04-16-2015, 06:50 AM
Do your mold blocks sit flat on the sheet of glass? Is their any material sticking up around the pivot bolt hole?

Shiloh
04-16-2015, 07:01 AM
Double up on the wave/spring washer available at ACE hardware. Just replacing it may cure the issue.

Shiloh

leftiye
04-16-2015, 07:16 AM
I suggest you remove the split washer and replace it with a bowed washer.

Also be certain the set screw is adjusted correctly. This screw impinges on the pivot bolt for the sprue plate. Adjust the sprue pivot bolt to the correct tension (I like mine to touch but with minimal pressure), then tighten the set screw. If your mold doesn't have a set screw, you can easily install one by drilling and tapping the block. Drop a #7-1/2 shot down the hole before you install the screw.

Plus +1. I use wave washers on all of my molds. Gives a straight down spring loaded pressure (not canted).

minmax
04-16-2015, 07:38 AM
My local ACO Hardware store, turn into an ACE about six months ago. Unfortunately their wave washers are all to large. I have not tried laying the mould itself on the plate glass. And yes it does have a setscrew.