PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question: What are these die sizes for?

RFWobbly
03-11-2008, 11:56 PM
I bought out a reloading business and apparently a lot of the stuff was for Cowboy Action pistol reloading, including some molds and "lubricating & sizing dies". Now I'm not a total dork of a city slicker (just mostly), so I know what the molds and dies do. :mrgreen:

What I want to know is what pistols do these diameter dies fit: .308, .429 and .451

Let me guess. The .451 is for 45 Long Colt?

Seeing as how my last six-shooter had a picture of Roy & Trigger molded into the grips and used rolls of red paper "ammo", I'm lost after that. :-D

All explanations greatfully appreciated.

georgeld
03-12-2008, 12:14 AM
The .308 is 30 cal bore dia.

.451, yes thats .45cal. most are: .452"

The .429 is: 44cal. many are .430"

Ok, now comes the questions. What "shape" are the slugs these molds make??
What brand, number of cavities, do you know the weight of the slugs yet?
Would you want to part with them? At what price? You may prefer to take some of this to 'email. I'd also like to know what else you got, especially what you may not want to keep.

Just today I rec'd a Walker Colt .44 cal. I need a R/Ball mold for .429/.435".
Much prefer Lee's, and six cavity, but, don't believe they ever made that many cav's in RB's.

Hope this helps you fill in the blanks.

454PB
03-12-2008, 12:34 AM
The .451" is probably for .45 ACP. It would be a little small for .45 Colt.

Buckshot
03-12-2008, 01:51 AM
...............There must be some lead furnaces along with at least a couple lube-size presses?

................Buckshot

Springfield
03-12-2008, 11:54 AM
georgeld: If you have a Walker then you need a .454 mould, maybe even a .457. The smallest I have ever seen in a 44 C&B(Pietta) gun takes a .451.

RFWobbly
03-12-2008, 08:11 PM
George -
Thanks for the info. I had just recently read where the older cartridges were named according to the dia of the brass and not the caliber of the bore, but I would have never 'thunk' of the old "44" actually being .429 dia. Just that bit of info gets me on my way. I can research it from here. Many, many thanks my friend.

As to your question of molds... there were 2 nearly new 38 cal molds, a single and a dual cavity. I have offered these to Amouredman, the friend who got me to this board. So etiquette won't allow me to sell them until he responds one way or the other. Then there were die sets for 45 Colt & 44LC. And the sizing dies already mentioned. No ladles or molten lead handling equipment.

Additionally, as you well know, it would be "bad form" for me to sell anything on this board until I reach that magic number of 25 posts !!! :kidding:

Again, thanks for the info.

yeahbub
03-14-2008, 11:15 PM
RFWobbly, I'd be interested in any bullet lubricating/sizing equipment that becomes available. I assume you'll post it when it does.

YeahBub

Rayber
03-15-2008, 02:02 AM
A lubricator would sure be nice.
This hand dipping Carnauba Red is getting old. then there's the mess running them through the lee sizer. Some day I'll grow up.
( I use a lot of Alox)

What ever happened to the old cookie cutters??

georgeld
03-15-2008, 03:57 AM
I'm in the market for a RB mold of 50 cal, or .454", maybe a touch larger.
Much prefer six cavity LEE but, know they've never made 'em. So, I'll consider anything from anyone.
Much prefer to swap something for it. Dont' matter to me how many posts you've got on here.
Shucks, I'd even like to have a few hundred balls of the proper size if the molds not available.

Tonight, I loaded six .45 cal REAL's in it with 40gr FFg. Worked great, but ,had to pull the syl to get them in far enough to clear the rammer to press 'em in.
Last night I fired five soft lead .45 RN 230gr upside down with 30gr. Makes smoke fire and quite a boom inside my closed up shop bldg. Sure glad I welded up that bullet trap last week. Coming in handy now.

Next loading with be with maybe 50gr of coal. Cyl holds 60gr level full. Figuring thats a bit much though, at least with heavier shot.
Am looking fwd to shooting this thing at the bp match's this summer.

38 Super Auto
03-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Additionally, as you well know, it would be "bad form" for me to sell anything on this board until I reach that magic number of 25 posts

So RF, what did you come by in this reloader buyout?

RFWobbly
03-25-2008, 10:48 PM
So RF, what did you come by in this reloader buyout?

4 presses, 2 Dillon tumblers, ~35 dies sets, 10,000 primers, about 8-10 lbs of various powder, 300 rnds of 7.62x54R, mixed brass, lots of bullets, scales, 3 powder measures, 2 bullet molds, and a lot of Dillon stuff. It was a fairly nice find and the guy was easy to work with. I was very happy. I actually paid him more than he was asking! Then he was happy too.

The boxes of stuff completely filled the bed of our pickup truck. It took me about 3 weeks to get it all sorted out. Even then I wasn't sure what some things were for.

I've got a list of the stuff I've been able to catalog on the CZ Forum at: Click Here (http://czechpistols82792.yuku.com/topic/17213/t/WTS-Rifle-Pistol-Reloading-Dies-sale-or-trade-Updated-3-22.html)

That Amouredman still hasn't replied to my inquiry of 2 weeks ago. I may just have to let someone else have those 2 molds!!

Take a look. :drinks: