PDA

View Full Version : Lee universal neck expander

brimic
10-02-2005, 10:55 PM
In a Lee catalog I noticed a Universal neck expanding die for flaring the neck for cast bullets. I currently use a Lyman M die for .30 and am happy with it, but I need to order an expanding die for 6.5mm and 8mm right now. Based on others' experience should I order the Lee die or should I order 2 M dies?

The Lee Die would cost me $8
The M dies would cost me $10.50 a piece.

Buckshot
10-03-2005, 09:43 PM
............I don't have one, but heard the Lee does a good job. I think it basicly flares the caseneck rather then like the M die does ie: open the caseneck parallel and with a slight step out at the mouth.

.............Buckshot

brimic
10-04-2005, 12:02 AM
Well ok, I'll give it a whirl then.

Rick N Bama
10-04-2005, 05:33 AM
I have the Lee expander & it only flares the case mouth. I had to get the M die for my 8MM, however the Lee works OK for everything else.

Rick

BCB
10-04-2005, 05:36 AM
What Buckshot says...I have one and it works very well. It is intersting how it is constructed to be able to work with all cases, both length and diameter. Good-luck...BCB

Willbird
10-04-2005, 06:38 AM
I'm gonna speak up and say I have one, and I think it is stupid, I had pictured they would give you a set of neck EXPANDERS, not two neck flaring tools that just put a flare on the neck.

lots of guys love them, If you want mine if I can find it you can have it for the shipping, and if you hate it just agree to send it on to the next guy, that way lee won't get everybody's money for something they don't like.

Bill

Wayne Smith
10-04-2005, 08:40 AM
I'm not quite as negative as Willbird, but it is a flare tool, that's the best description. Abrupt and very easy to get too much. I'd go with the M dies.

MT Gianni
10-04-2005, 11:59 AM
The lee tool is easily as versitle as a set of needle nose pliers, twisted with slight pressure for a slight ream, but it may not be as fast. Gianni.