PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean lube globs....

crabo
03-11-2008, 11:00 PM
off a hardwood floor? I need to clean up my floor under my reloading table. I got little globs of lube on the floor and I want to clean them up. I thought about a heat gun and a terry cloth towel, but knowing what an ingenious bunch this is, I thought I would ask.

Any tips, I know most of you would never get any on the floor, but......

Crabo

Orygun
03-11-2008, 11:03 PM
I assume you are talking boolit lube? Not sure about a heat gun, but maybe a hair dryer.

grumpy one
03-11-2008, 11:05 PM
I'd be reluctant to melt it since it would go into any cracks, grain etc. and settle in for the long haul. How about a solvent?

Orygun
03-11-2008, 11:09 PM
I'd be reluctant to melt it since it would go into any cracks, grain etc. and settle in for the long haul. How about a solvent?

How about the finish? (If there is one).

Bullshop
03-11-2008, 11:15 PM
I squirt it with wd40 and wipe up with paper towel. The wd40 will disolve the lube so it can be wiped up. Works good for cleaning up pitch that has oosed from firewood too. Then the wd40 can get cleaned up with hot soapy water, same thing you would mop the floor with. I use Dawn dish soap and hot water.
Then you can top it off with JPW. It will look so nice ya might get a lil surprise from the misus.
Blessings
BIC/BS

KYCaster
03-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Try mineral spirits...not very agressive as far a solvents go, but has worked well on different lubes I've tried it on.

Jerry

357maximum
03-12-2008, 03:57 AM
When I was still allowed in the kitchen[smilie=1: I used De-solv-it orange oil cleaner on waxy oopsies, worked real well.

montana_charlie
03-12-2008, 12:53 PM
off a hardwood floor? I need to clean up my floor under my reloading table. I got little globs of lube on the floor and I want to clean them up. I thought about a heat gun and a terry cloth towel,
Why do you think you need heat? Is the lube a very hard type?
If it is (or even if it is soft lube) a plastic scraper should loosen the major portion so you can just pick it up and dispose.
The remaining traces can then be removed with those cleaning solutions recommended for kid's crayons on walls.

The term 'hardwood floor' brings visions of a tough, but hard-to-replace, finish coat. I would stay away from anything which could harm that...
CM

WyrTwister
03-12-2008, 06:44 PM
off a hardwood floor? I need to clean up my floor under my reloading table. I got little globs of lube on the floor and I want to clean them up. I thought about a heat gun and a terry cloth towel, but knowing what an ingenious bunch this is, I thought I would ask.

Any tips, I know most of you would never get any on the floor, but......

Crabo

I will bet Johnson Paste Wax will take them up ?

God bless
Wyr

crabo
03-13-2008, 12:15 AM
WD 40 works so well, I didn't try anything else. Thanks guys,

Crabo