PDA

View Full Version : Windy day testing loads

cs86
04-14-2015, 03:18 PM
Just wondering if you guys skip testing loads on windy days. Last weekend I had a good chance to test some workup loads. I ended my session early because the wind was gusting bad and would sometimes push me slightly and I'm sure it had an effect on the bullet. With the loads that I did shoot I was able to get an understanding of how high I could go before groups opened up, but as far as accuracy I wasn't feeling very confident. I'm not a super sharp shooter and try my best, but I've ended my sessions on more than one occasion due to the wind. For practice I think it would be smart to shoot on windy days to understand how the wind changes target results.

azrednek
04-14-2015, 03:29 PM
I don't throw in the towel completely on windy days unless I'm testing or shooting for shot to shot accuracy. If I'm working up a load I'll continue shooting watching for signs of over pressure.

Murphy usually blesses me with plenty of wind when I want to sight in a new scope or move the irons.

country gent
04-14-2015, 03:30 PM
I test on windy days and clam, Rain or shine. WHen working up a load yopu never know what conmditions it may need to be used in or under. One trick is to put out wind flags or indicators and watch them in diffrent conditions. A 3 foot long piece of yarn shows alot and is easy to read. Watch the angle it blows at and the direction when its the same angle and direction the conditions the same. Mirage seen in a spotting scope or rifle scope can also be used to read light breezes. A wind meter and flag sitting watching both gives an idea of what "angle is what speed wind. If you never test or practice in bad conditions you never learn to do it.

Yodogsandman
04-14-2015, 05:13 PM
I skipped shooting some rifles on Sunday due to the wind with gusts >25 MPH. Why waste the rounds that you may not be able to shoot the most accurately if you're testing for accuracy?

I shot a 6.5x55 to rid the cases of the boolits that had erratic C.O.A.L.'s. I had some boolits that the noses were bumped up during sizing and caused this.

I also shot an SKS at just 50 yards to check out the new NOE Ranch Dog 313-150 HP's. Initial tests with Reloader 7 show a lot of promise. A 2 1/2" first group (10 shot) with 5 shots in a tight cluster using 21.0gr. These were tumble lubed with LLA and coated with Ben's Liquid Lube. I'm sure the wind influenced this group.

Using some PC'd with the same 21.0gr Reloader 7, shot a 10 shot group at about 4". Increasing the charge on the PC'd boolits to 22 and 23gr opened the groups up to "where did they go". Want to check what 20.0gr will do.

cs86
04-14-2015, 05:37 PM
I skipped shooting some rifles on Sunday due to the wind with gusts >25 MPH. Why waste the rounds that you may not be able to shoot the most accurately if you're testing for accuracy?

That was my same thought. I had the exact same wind gusts on Sunday. I'd even try and wait for between gusts to calm my slight body sway. I'd rather have a good range time during testing so I can refine the next loads for something possibly better. I'd rather take the good workups and load a bunch for the windy days.

I was still glad I got to shoot some. I was really itching to get out and try some loads.

ofreen
04-14-2015, 08:25 PM
It is fun to shoot in the wind, but calm days are best for load testing and development.

runfiverun
04-14-2015, 09:44 PM
reading the wind has won more shooting matches than the best prepared ammo ever has.