PDA

View Full Version : 35 Remington Mold?

WV Mountaineer
04-13-2015, 09:08 PM
Fellas, I'm new here and new enough to casting, I need some help. I've slugged my guns and am ready to start casting bullets for my Marlins. I'm looking to get me an RCBS mold for my 35 Remington's. I want it gas checked and want at least a 200 grain bullet. Do these molds throw bullets right at .358 consistently? Will I likely have to beagle the mold? Or, would I be better suited with an Accurate mold? Are there any other gas checked designs out there I should look at? I'm going to be pushing these things pretty hard and need the Gas Check's. I've never loaded a gas checked bullet. I'm really confused how to install the gas check on bullets aside from using my Lee sizer. I have no problems getting mine to .360 if needed but, wouldn't hesitate to buy one if they aren't to expensive instead of sanding mine to the .360 size. Any advice on who makes or, where to get a good .360 sizing die made or, where one can be bought? God Bless

kungfustyle
04-13-2015, 09:16 PM
NOE is the top of my list for new molds. Here is there version of the RCBS 200g boolit:
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=510&osCsid=vsskslb4628hms78qpvdac71g6
and yes they throw there specs right on if you do your part.

Yodogsandman
04-13-2015, 09:16 PM
Welcome to the forum! That 35 Remmy is a good one to start with!

I think Bullshot could make you a Lee type .360", PM him and ask. He does great work!

If you can wait for this idea to become reality, I'm sure there will be a .360", too...
http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php?topic=647.0

Check NOE out for an RCBS 35-200 clone, while you're there. Looks like they need to make some more. There's a special going on where you ask to have a regular inventory mold made (because he's out), they knock off 15% when there's 5 buyers lined up to run it.

http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,713.0.html

Bjornb
04-13-2015, 09:21 PM
I think Bullshop could make you a Lee type .360", PM him and ask. He does great work!

If you can wait for this idea to become reality, I'm sure there will be a .360", too...
http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php?topic=647.0

Check NOE out for an RCBS 35-200 clone, while you're there.

Maybe Bullshop can make you a sizer, but I'd probably go with Buckshot for mine.........:bigsmyl2:

dubber123
04-13-2015, 09:24 PM
The throat on your Marlins very well may accept a larger than .360" boolit, and may shoot better with one. My NOE version of the RCBS design casts right around .361", and that size fits in my Marlins chamber with ease, and shoots very well. Have fun.

Yodogsandman
04-13-2015, 09:26 PM
Maybe Bullshop can make you a sizer, but I'd probably go with Buckshot for mine.........:bigsmyl2:

My bad, corrected.

WV Mountaineer
04-13-2015, 10:05 PM
I slugged all of them at .358. I was thinking that .360 would work. If .361 would be better or, if .003 over is the new norm, please set me straight.

I like the looks of the NOE molds. Looks like that is what it'll be.

Thank you guys so much. God Bless

Tatume
04-14-2015, 06:29 AM
I've had consistently excellent results with RCBS 35-200-FN.

largom
04-14-2015, 07:55 AM
I've had consistently excellent results with RCBS 35-200-FN.

I also have the RCBS mould and my 35 Remy just loves it. Whatever mould you get try a boolit "as cast" and see if it will chamber, if so go with it. The 35 Rem. is a very easy cartridge to load cast boolits for. My Marlin likes Varget, Reloader 7 as well as others.

Larry

dubber123
04-14-2015, 05:48 PM
I slugged all of them at .358. I was thinking that .360 would work. If .361 would be better or, if .003 over is the new norm, please set me straight.

I like the looks of the NOE molds. Looks like that is what it'll be.

Thank you guys so much. God Bless

Nothing is really a "norm" in the cast boolits biz.. :) I have had better luck shooting as fat as will readily chamber with a few rifles, and Marlin seems to cut some of their chambers on the large side. I think it helps center the cartridge to the bore better before firing. .360" should work just fine, as might .359" or .361"+, thats part of the fun of testing. Good luck!

WV Mountaineer
04-14-2015, 07:26 PM
Thank you all very much. Guess I'll be ordering payday! God Bless

nagantguy
04-14-2015, 09:14 PM
I just posted a very similar question , for .35 as a gift for my brother. The winner by far was Rcbs 200 or the Noe copy. Me and my brother sort of shared this rifle for years it was dream gun for the both of us, I helped him finance the purches with unlimited use clause, now he's full crowd house old lady yada yada and its now officially his. He's justgetting into reloading and casting for the old marlin. I thought a nice new mold would be a good gift. And what factory ammo availability, ya kind of have to roll your own.

cuzinbruce
04-14-2015, 09:50 PM
My .35 Rem is a Remington 141 pump gun. I use the Lyman 358315 and 3031 powder. The Lyman is rated 205 grains, a roundnose about like the factory jacketed. For sizing, I would slug the barrel before deciding. I don't know about Marlins but the Remington doesn't have much throat in front of the chamber. So I can't seat the bullet out much at all. It also doesn't have any power to force the bullet into the lands like a boltgun. If your Marlin has the microgroove barrel, that might like a fat bullet. I don't know how hard you intend to push it but Lyman lists factory duplication loads in the old manuals where the cast bullet has about the same ballistics as factory loads. I always thought about 200 grains was optimum for the cartridge. It is not a high pressure number and not that big a case. I always thought 250 grains were more for 35 Whelans, etc. It is an easy cartridge to load for. Have fun with it.

Yodogsandman
04-14-2015, 10:25 PM
NOE should be running the RCBS clone soon.

TXGunNut
04-14-2015, 10:36 PM
NOE also makes a version of the RD 359-190, I think it's an awesome hunting boolit.