PDA

View Full Version : .270 Win to 7 x 57

wmitty
04-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Was a little surprised when I tried sizing in a Hornady f.l. die; the shoulder wrinkles were ruining about half the cases. I tried annealing the neck/shoulder of the .270 brass first and was still getting wrinkles. Used Imperial die wax (very light) and still some wrinkles on shoulders/necks of formed brass. What am I doing wrong?

Mk42gunner
04-13-2015, 03:28 PM
Sizing to fast? Try taking two or three passes to fully push the shoulder back and see if that helps.

Robert

EDG
04-13-2015, 03:37 PM
Apply lube to the case body and only a miniscule amount to the shoulder - about as much as you haveon the side of your nose.

Size about .150 to .200 and then wipe off the lube on the shoulder and neck
Repeat until all sized.

Make sure you have no negatives on the case between the old shoulder and where the new shoulder will be before they are sized.
There is no reason to anneal until all the forming is finished. This is an easy forming task if you do not use excess lube.

Was a little surprised when I tried sizing in a Hornady f.l. die; the shoulder wrinkles were ruining about half the cases. I tried annealing the neck/shoulder of the .270 brass first and was still getting wrinkles. Used Imperial die wax (very light) and still some wrinkles on shoulders/necks of formed brass. What am I doing wrong?

atr
04-13-2015, 04:11 PM
yup sizing too fast...use small increments and keep the lube off the shoulder as much as possible. I find it also helps to take the stem holding the decapping pin out and getting the shoulder formed without. After you get the shoulder formed you can put back the stem and do the final sizing.
hope that helps
atr

wmitty
04-21-2015, 01:15 PM
Thanks, guys! Didn't realize the shoulder setback needed to be performed in increments; I was running the case all the way up in one stroke. Will adjust my method and use less lubricant.