PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Pro Melt Upgrades

OpenNRG
04-12-2015, 07:32 PM
Shelf and Lid upgrades now available for the RCBS Pro Melt. We did an upgrade kit for the Lee Pro 4 -20 furnace (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?202648-Lee-Furnace-Upgrades) about 3 years ago. Some asked for one for the RCBS but we never got to it. Recently Ramsmacker here at castboolits offered to send me a new, in box Pro Melt to do the kit for. He also has the kit for the Lee Pot. That was the push I needed to get this one out. All it needed was the shelf and a lid.

Here's a the assembly PDF (http://www.my2ndright.com/pdfs/Instructions%20RCBS.pdf). Only takes a few minutes.

These are available on our site at http://www.my2ndright.com/

Shelf kit is $39.95. Shelf and Lid Kit is $49.95 and Lid only is $16.95.

thanks, let me know if you have any questions

Randy C
04-12-2015, 08:30 PM
Looks good

DR Owl Creek
04-13-2015, 12:02 PM
That looks like a really nice set-up!

One question, however: On the shelf kit, is the bar with thumb screw designed to fit in the "T-shaped" slots in the shelf plate? The reason I'm asking is because I have a number of NOE RG type hollow point moulds, and they have the hollow point pin guides, with their machine screws sticking out of the bottom of the moulds. If the slots in the shelf plate aren't covered, they would interfere with the free movement of the moulds over the shelf plate while casting.

Thanks,

Dave

OpenNRG
04-13-2015, 08:01 PM
Dr Owl Creek - The bar with the bolt pressed in is the adjustable fence. Your right, the slots in the shelf would interfere with the pins sticking out the bottom. Seems to me that the stock round bar guide would also interfere with the pins sticking out the bottom. A solution with the shelf would be to simply put a piece of thin gauge flat stock under the fence and tighten the fence to hold it down. Maybe drill a hole for the fence bolt to go through. I have some 16ga aluminum here I could do that with.

M-Tecs
04-13-2015, 08:15 PM
Very Nice!!!!!!!!

Jim_P
04-13-2015, 09:02 PM
Very Nice. Looks like the upgrade RCBS should be making. Order placed.

One question. After you raise the mould rest, how does one tighten the screws? Stubby screwdriver? Or are they Allen Wrench heads?

OpenNRG
04-13-2015, 09:29 PM
Very Nice. Looks like the upgrade RCBS should be making. Order placed.

One question. After you raise the mould rest, how does one tighten the screws? Stubby screwdriver? Or are they Allen Wrench heads?

Look at the assembly pdf here (http://www.my2ndright.com/pdfs/Instructions%20RCBS.pdf). It uses 1/4 x 20 nuts to tighten the shelf supports to the stock columns. Wanted to use wing nuts here so you wouldn't need a tool but the wing nuts wouldn't get it tight enough. Would have had to make the supports thinner to use wing nuts. So you'll need a 7/16" wrench or socket when adjusting. On the stock round bar guide you need a hex wrench so I guess it's a wash.

Thanks for the orders. DeWayne

Doggonekid
04-13-2015, 11:50 PM
That looks like I got to have it! Now all I have to do is sell some more blood to the red cross and I will order one for myself.

dikman
04-14-2015, 07:40 AM
Nice work. I'd already made a shelf and cover for mine (similar to yours, as I pinched your idea for the Lee version :-D), yours, of course, is somewhat neater than mine. In my opinion all pots should have a shelf, it just makes them so much easier to use (I use one on the Pro Melt and the Lee).

Jim_P
04-14-2015, 09:53 AM
Look at the assembly pdf here (http://www.my2ndright.com/pdfs/Instructions%20RCBS.pdf). It uses 1/4 x 20 nuts to tighten the shelf supports to the stock columns. Wanted to use wing nuts here so you wouldn't need a tool but the wing nuts wouldn't get it tight enough. Would have had to make the supports thinner to use wing nuts. So you'll need a 7/16" wrench or socket when adjusting. On the stock round bar guide you need a hex wrench so I guess it's a wash.

Thanks for the orders. DeWayne

DeWayne,

Got that. But the 4 button head screws (I presume they are screws because it looks like the holes in the support arms are threaded) are they socket head or phillips?

Jim

P.S. Either way I have the right tool, but asking the question to be prepared and for anyone else looking at this thread.

DR Owl Creek
04-14-2015, 11:50 AM
Dr Owl Creek - The bar with the bolt pressed in is the adjustable fence. Your right, the slots in the shelf would interfere with the pins sticking out the bottom. Seems to me that the stock round bar guide would also interfere with the pins sticking out the bottom. A solution with the shelf would be to simply put a piece of thin gauge flat stock under the fence and tighten the fence to hold it down. Maybe drill a hole for the fence bolt to go through. I have some 16ga aluminum here I could do that with.

One more question: Would it be possible to order your shelf plate without the slots cut in it, and the fence without the bolt pressed in place? That way there would still be a completely smooth surface on the shelf plate, but if I wanted to use the fence, I could use either small C-clamps or long-neck locking C-clamps to hold the fence in place.

Thanks,

Dave

OpenNRG
04-14-2015, 06:26 PM
DeWayne,

Got that. But the 4 button head screws (I presume they are screws because it looks like the holes in the support arms are threaded) are they socket head or phillips?

Jim

P.S. Either way I have the right tool, but asking the question to be prepared and for anyone else looking at this thread.

They are socket head, recessed into the shelf.

OpenNRG
04-14-2015, 06:35 PM
One more question: Would it be possible to order your shelf plate without the slots cut in it, and the fence without the bolt pressed in place? That way there would still be a completely smooth surface on the shelf plate, but if I wanted to use the fence, I could use either small C-clamps or long-neck locking C-clamps to hold the fence in place.

Thanks,

Dave

I could do the shelf without the slots and the fence without the bolt. I don't think you will like dealing with the clamps. I think a floating plate that covers the slots and moves with the fence will take care of the bottom pins. Will do a quickie tomorrow and post a pic for you to see.

Jim_P
04-14-2015, 09:14 PM
They are socket head, recessed into the shelf.

Thank you Sir. Great Service. I am looking forward to getting this. It's almost casting season. Heck, I just might finally warm up huddling over the casting pot :)...

Jim

GLL
04-14-2015, 09:26 PM
Order for two shelves has been placed !

Jerry

OpenNRG
04-15-2015, 10:13 AM
DR Owl Creek - I believe this will take care of the bottom pins. Let me know what you think. You could also take this plate and add rails on top using double sided tape or high temp silicone (gasket maker).

Bjornb
04-15-2015, 10:34 AM
Great upgrade, just ordered one. Thanks.

DR Owl Creek
04-15-2015, 12:59 PM
DR Owl Creek - I believe this will take care of the bottom pins. Let me know what you think. You could also take this plate and add rails on top using double sided tape or high temp silicone (gasket maker).

DeWayne,

That looks great! I'll buy a shelf and lid kit, along with that extra plate. Send me a PM or post the price on this thread for all of it, and I'll ordered it ASAP.

Dave

OpenNRG
04-15-2015, 02:39 PM
Dr Owl Creek - Floating shelf plate is $4.00. It's on the site now. Just needed your approval. You can order off the site. http://www.my2ndright.com/

Note - If you want to make custom guides for certain molds here are a few tips.
1. Aluminum is easy to cut with regular woodworking blades on a chop saw. Cut on the forward stroke and float on the stroke back. Spray some lube on the blade and it will fly into the cut as you are making it.
2. High Temp silicone works as a good glue to +-500 degrees depending on which you use. I use Permatex Ultra Copper
3. Wood can be used as a guide or jig. It's good to +-200 degrees and higher briefly. Cheap to replace. Easy to work with.
4. You can score thin aluminum with a formica knife and get a clean bend on the score using just pliers. Keep bending it back and forth and it breaks off.

georgerkahn
04-15-2015, 07:22 PM
I just ordered a kit (RCBS) + plates -- can't wait to install and use it!
george

DR Owl Creek
04-16-2015, 12:35 PM
DeWayne,

Order sent.

Dave

Buddy in FL
04-16-2015, 02:02 PM
D-Man
Just placed order. Paid with PP.
Buddy in Fl

OpenNRG
04-19-2015, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the orders!

Need to point a couple of things out.

First orders ship Monday/Tuesday so if you want to add the Floating shelf or Lid to an order let me know before then. Takes a while to get production going on new products.

Floating shelf wasn't on the site at first. These are easy to copy and could be used to make custom guides for your molds.

If you didn't order the lid you may be underestimating its value for heating your molds up and reducing melt times. See pic below taken on the Lee lid.

Redwoode
04-19-2015, 02:45 PM
Just added floating shelf to my order.

Thanks,
Arnell

Nueces
04-19-2015, 04:20 PM
Me, too, by email to the company.

MrWolf
04-19-2015, 09:51 PM
Placing my order, could not resist!

Jim_P
04-26-2015, 09:00 PM
Mine arrived yesterday and was mounted today. Great work and fits like it belonged there. Recommend anyone casting with the RCBS look into getting one.

Buddy in FL
05-01-2015, 08:06 PM
Package arrived today! Well made and functional. I am pleased!

Walter Laich
05-03-2015, 12:37 PM
Quality products at great price
working on how to use a K probe from top--enjoy the challenge of how to deal with it.

DR Owl Creek
05-04-2015, 01:11 PM
I just received mine today. It looks even better in person than it does in the photos. I won't be able to put mine together until later tonight, but I think it's going to be great.

Dave

Leadmelter
05-04-2015, 09:57 PM
Waiting on mine. Should make things easier.
Leadmelter
MI

tonyjones
05-07-2015, 10:52 PM
DeWayne,

Would you consider offering a thermocouple support bracket that easily attaches to the Pro-Melt and notching your lid for same?

Thanks and regards,

Tony

OpenNRG
05-08-2015, 10:11 AM
DeWayne,

Would you consider offering a thermocouple support bracket that easily attaches to the Pro-Melt and notching your lid for same?

Thanks and regards,

Tony

I actually did a small articulating arm a few years ago for mounting thermometers and thermocouples. I also did the same with a piece of 12ga solid copper wire. Copper wire works just as good. Bends easy and is cheap. On the Lee pot you have several bolts to attach to. On the RCBS you can just use the stock round bar that sticks above the top and slip the spiraled copper wire over the round bar. Put the thermocouple / thermometer in that opening in the front. Just put a spiral on each end of a piece of copper wire. Bend it in such a way that it clips into that opening.

You can also do something like harley6699 just posted on the Lee Upgrade thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?202648-Lee-Furnace-Upgrades&p=3243062#post3243062

tonyjones
05-09-2015, 10:52 AM
I'll give that some thought.

Thanks,

TJ

GLL
05-17-2015, 02:00 PM
The shelf system is an outstanding design and very nicely machined !
Anyone who uses a Pro-Melt should give them a try. Make sure you order the floating shelf plate extension.

The shelf takes the entire weight of the mold off of your wrist !

http://www.fototime.com/C2C3C3021A66C5C/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/9E023BBAA869F73/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/9FDD615575EDA46/orig.jpg

For some reason the shelf unit simply will not fit my older Pro-Melt ! ;) ;)
http://www.fototime.com/F86BC4B2165A60A/standard.jpg

Jerry

OpenNRG
05-17-2015, 03:22 PM
GLL - You have no idea how much I appreciate you posting some images and comments. Sold about 40 the first month and this is the first user images posted here.

Here's a simple PDF on how to post images on this forum. (http://my2ndright.com/pdfs/Insert%20Image%20From%20File.pdf)

thanks, DeWayne

tonyjones
05-17-2015, 03:48 PM
GLL,

What kind of handles are those in your photos? KAL?

Thanks,

Tony

GLL
05-17-2015, 06:31 PM
Tony:

The handles are indeed KAL size 6X! The best ! :)

Rick made me extra custom length wood though.

Jerry

VHoward
05-17-2015, 08:36 PM
Thanks GLL. Now that I've seen the shelf with a mold on it, I have to buy one. Good grief. :kidding: :-)

VHoward
05-17-2015, 08:45 PM
Just placed my order for a shelf and lid kit. Didn't think I needed it as I was getting along OK with the bar rest. Then I saw GLL's post with pic's.

Walter Laich
05-18-2015, 11:43 AM
On the RCBS you can just use the stock round bar that sticks above the top and slip the spiraled copper wire over the round bar. Put the thermocouple / thermometer in that opening in the front. Just put a spiral on each end of a piece of copper wire. Bend it in such a way that it clips into that opening.

Obviously I'm a visual learner.
I understand attaching the wire to the round post that is the handle fulcrum (RCBS' name not mine).

then an inch or so down the wire make a spiral for the TC to fit in. With mine I would need a way to keep it off the bottom but that's not the issue.

It's the clips into that opening that is fuzzy for me. Are we talking the space between the nozzle shut off pin (again RCBS's name) and the front of the pot? Or behind the pin, more towards the center of the pot.

Reason I'm asking is I don't want to modify your lid unless I need to.

thanks
walt

LenH
05-18-2015, 03:21 PM
I just received the kit over the weekend and have it installed. I haven't had time to use it yet but plan on it soon.
I did not get the lid as I use a hot plate to heat the mold and cover the melt with saw dust. It should help with the
8 cavity H & G monster.

LenH
05-18-2015, 09:20 PM
Just cast about 200 bullets and the shelf works as advertised. Thanks Dewayne

OpenNRG
05-18-2015, 09:34 PM
Walter, See if this image clears it up. I no longer have an RCBS here or I would have mounted it. Ramsmacker had sent me his to get this upgrade done. You want the thermocouple side up off the pot lid so you don't have to move it when taking the lid off. I started with a 14" piece of wire.

tonyjones
05-18-2015, 10:31 PM
DeWayne,

On the ProMelt the crucible appears to be attached to the housing by four screws from the top. The screw at the front lines up with the slot in the front of your top plate (lid). Could that screw not be used as an attachment point for a T/C bracket; wire, bent plate, whatever? I'm asking these questions as I do not yet own a ProMelt. Also, I'd rather not take a "hack saw" to your product which seems to be of very high quality and professionally done.

Best regards,

Tony

Walter Laich
05-18-2015, 11:25 PM
Walter, See if this image clears it up. I no longer have an RCBS here or I would have mounted it. Ramsmacker had sent me his to get this upgrade done. You want the thermocouple side up off the pot lid so you don't have to move it when taking the lid off. I started with a 14" piece of wire.

That is just what I needed to see. Should be an easy mod for me to pull off. Like the fact that I don't have to modify the lid.
Appreciate all the help on this
walt

Walter Laich
05-18-2015, 11:28 PM
DeWayne,

On the ProMelt the crucible appears to be attached to the housing by four screws from the top. The screw at the front lines up with the slot in the front of your top plate (lid). Could that screw not be used as an attachment point for a T/C bracket; wire, bent plate, whatever? I'm asking these questions as I do not yet own a ProMelt. Also, I'd rather not take a "hack saw" to your product which seems to be of very high quality and professionally done.

Best regards,

Tony

Tony,
what you see is a pop rivet rather than a screw. I guess you could drill it out and replace with a screw but I would not be happy with loose parts for the pop rivet inside the housing but then that's just me

walt

tonyjones
05-19-2015, 02:34 PM
Thanks Walt. TJ

4719dave
05-19-2015, 09:04 PM
Well, you got me looks like I cant live with out these ...

Jim_P
05-20-2015, 08:21 PM

Here's my install. They all begin to look the same after a while.
The item to the far right is a Fluke Thermometer with an immersion K-Coupler. Very accurate.

pjames32
05-20-2015, 09:08 PM
Got mine. Works good. Wish it had a second mold guide!
PJ

OpenNRG
05-21-2015, 05:39 PM
Got mine. Works good. Wish it had a second mold guide!
PJ

Added the fence (guide) to the site as a separate product if you want to order one. Can only be used with front to back casting as there isn't a slot in the front for a second fence when casting side to side.

thanks, DeWayne

pjames32
05-21-2015, 09:29 PM
DeWayne-Thx....I'll try a couple sessions to see if I can adapt. I do cast front to back. I'll see if this old dog can learn a new trick.
PJ

OpenNRG
05-21-2015, 10:27 PM
DeWayne-Thx....I'll try a couple sessions to see if I can adapt. I do cast front to back. I'll see if this old dog can learn a new trick.
PJ

I do left to right, put a Sharpie mark on the shelf at where to start and another at where to stop.

Jim_P
05-24-2015, 05:54 PM
SO, I used my Pro Melt for the first time since installing the shelf and lid. I generally cast outside and today was no different. Now, we're in that time of year when the Maple trees are dropping those long curly things. It was a windy day so they were falling all over the place. The lid kept them out of the alloy and that was a big bonus. Kept out some of the stupid Beetles flying around as well. It was fun watching them dance off the lid...

The Shelf was a God Send. I only dropped about 250 boolits, but the initial strain relieved from your shoulder and bicep from having to hold the mould and now filled with the weight of the alloy would have allowed me to drop another 250 if time allowed.

Every furnace needs this shelf and lid. Such a simple solution for a much more enjoyable casting day. Love it!

VHoward
05-24-2015, 08:09 PM
I got shipment notification. So I went down to the shop and emptied my Pro-Melt in preparation of installing this shelf and lid kit. Emptied it by casting up a bunch of 125 gr 9mm bullets.

Walter Laich
05-24-2015, 11:20 PM
Used mine a couple of days ago. Shelf is well worth the purchase. Really like the top--not sure if it helps but it looks cool and gives me a place to preheat ingots before going in pot.

I love it when a plan comes together -- Hannibal" Smith

kalison
05-25-2015, 05:19 AM
Just ordered one, thanks for making these!

OpenNRG
05-25-2015, 08:22 PM
SO, I used my Pro Melt for the first time since installing the shelf and lid. I generally cast outside and today was no different. Now, we're in that time of year when the Maple trees are dropping those long curly things. It was a windy day so they were falling all over the place. The lid kept them out of the alloy and that was a big bonus. Kept out some of the stupid Beetles flying around as well. It was fun watching them dance off the lid...

The Shelf was a God Send. I only dropped about 250 boolits, but the initial strain relieved from your shoulder and bicep from having to hold the mould and now filled with the weight of the alloy would have allowed me to drop another 250 if time allowed.

Every furnace needs this shelf and lid. Such a simple solution for a much more enjoyable casting day. Love it!

Thanks for the comments. Would like to see a pic of the Dancing Beetles
DeWayne

OpenNRG
05-25-2015, 08:52 PM
Used mine a couple of days ago. Shelf is well worth the purchase. Really like the top--not sure if it helps but it looks cool and gives me a place to preheat ingots before going in pot.

I love it when a plan comes together -- Hannibal" Smith

The top can get hot enough to melt the ingots. Best to have them in something just to be safe. I just use my ingot mold then dump em and pick em up with some ingot pliers. Bought these years ago for pulling hard to reach plug wires and when I needed some ingot pliers they were perfect. They dig into the lead so you can grab an ingot from pretty much any angle and put it right where you need it. Opens to a couple of inches with one hand and about three with two. Harbor Freight / $14.99 for set of 3 / $6.95 shipping. Link below.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-long-reach-hose-grip-pliers-37909.html

pjames32
05-25-2015, 09:57 PM
Used mine today. The single fence worked well after some learning on my part. I'm happy with my purchase!!!
PJ

Jim_P
05-26-2015, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the comments. Would like to see a pic of the Dancing Beetles
DeWayne

The one which landed on it did everything it could to get back airborne. Beetles are not the best fliers nor are they aerodynamically sound. He flipped twice before he got back up. It would have made an entertaining 10 second film...

VHoward
05-26-2015, 10:15 PM
Got my shelf and lid kit today. Took about 5 minutes to install. Looks good.

Walter Laich
05-27-2015, 10:58 AM
Turns out the lid does a great job of holding in heat. Was able to keep casting for about twice as long before I finally got ahead of the add lead/cast curve.
Nice place to put ingots to pre-heat, too.

VHoward
05-31-2015, 08:41 PM
Well, I cast bullets with my Pro Melt with lid and shelf kit installed. Overall, it is well worth the money spent. I personally could not get used to the fence guide for the mold, so I took it off and casting got better. The shelf has a feature that is good and slightly bad. The shelf absorbs heat from the mold so it takes longer to get up to temp before you can get into a rythm, but the shelf absorbs heat from your mold during the whole casting session, so after it gets to a certain temp, casting can speed up as it helps keep the mold from getting too hot. The lid does keep heat in the pot well. However, by the time the lead was up to temp for casting, the mold I had sitting on it was not. I will continue to use a separate hot plate for mold pre-heating. It is nice to have the shelf to set the mold on while pouring.

kalison
06-02-2015, 12:36 AM
Got my shelf kit in today and installed it.

First I want to thank Harlow Industries, for making an excellent product. The product itself looked crafted flawlessly and when installed, looks like it belongs on the Pro Melt... If it was anodized green it would look factory!

I haven't casted with it just yet, but I can tell that it's going to make a difference!

The only negative I have; the clamps for the shelves are bored/milled so close to the leg diameter spec that I had to pry the clamp apart... Even then it was such a tight fit on the legs it just marred them from that black to bare metal. They are just legs, so I don't really care that much... But it's a brand new Pro Melt ;). They are still so tight, that I don't even need to use the bolts on the clamps to ensure the shelf doesn't go anywhere.

OpenNRG
06-02-2015, 10:34 PM
Got my shelf kit in today and installed it.

First I want to thank Harlow Industries, for making an excellent product. The product itself looked crafted flawlessly and when installed, looks like it belongs on the Pro Melt... If it was anodized green it would look factory!

I haven't casted with it just yet, but I can tell that it's going to make a difference!

The only negative I have; the clamps for the shelves are bored/milled so close to the leg diameter spec that I had to pry the clamp apart... Even then it was such a tight fit on the legs it just marred them from that black to bare metal. They are just legs, so I don't really care that much... But it's a brand new Pro Melt ;). They are still so tight, that I don't even need to use the bolts on the clamps to ensure the shelf doesn't go anywhere.

Sorry about the clamps being too tight. The are machined, then reamed and then sanded to allow for about .005-.008" tolerance. Since the legs are .625" round bar they are probably pretty accurate but could vary a few thousandths. What may have happened is when the 1/4 x 20 bolt was pressed in it may have pushed the hole in some. We use a spacer in the slot when pressing to hold it apart but the hole itself probably needs to be supported. I'll make a .630" piece of round bar for the hole while pressing.

Don't want the clamps too big or tightening would be a PITA. Considered adding a plastic bushing to the clamps but thought it might melt so chose not to.

I'm glad you posted that. Don't like to use "nervous" or "worried". Lets say I am always a bit concerned when introducing a new product.

If you want me to send you a new set of clamps, let me know.

thanks, DeWayne

kalison
06-04-2015, 02:21 AM
Sorry about the clamps being too tight. The are machined, then reamed and then sanded to allow for about .005-.008" tolerance. Since the legs are .625" round bar they are probably pretty accurate but could vary a few thousandths. What may have happened is when the 1/4 x 20 bolt was pressed in it may have pushed the hole in some. We use a spacer in the slot when pressing to hold it apart but the hole itself probably needs to be supported. I'll make a .630" piece of round bar for the hole while pressing.

Don't want the clamps too big or tightening would be a PITA. Considered adding a plastic bushing to the clamps but thought it might melt so chose not to.

I'm glad you posted that. Don't like to use "nervous" or "worried". Lets say I am always a bit concerned when introducing a new product.

If you want me to send you a new set of clamps, let me know.

thanks, DeWayne

Thanks for the response!

I don't think that new clamps are needed, these work fine and I don't have to move my shelf up or down often, if ever.

I do know I'll be buying a second fence though! Very nice to have a guide that I can tune to any mold I may be using!

Thanks again for making this product!

Walter Laich
06-04-2015, 01:47 PM
Kalison:
I didn't really snap to the fact that the shelf was absorbing so much heat from the mold. Kept waiting for it to get too hot but never did. Now it all becomes clear--thanks.
I may get another fence so I can have the mold's position locked in left/right-wise. Or I can just cast as is and retrain my positioning of the mold
looking to put a wooden handle on the lid out at the end of the tab. Maybe get another knob from RCBS

kalison
06-04-2015, 01:53 PM
Kalison:
I didn't really snap to the fact that the shelf was absorbing so much heat from the mold. Kept waiting for it to get too hot but never did. Now it all becomes clear--thanks.

Hi Walter, I don't think I mentioned the shelf as a heatsink?

VHoward
06-04-2015, 07:30 PM
I'm the one who mentioned it. I only had experience with either no resting bar under a pot or RCBS' mold rest bar and I noticed the difference between that and the shelf. After you get the shelf up to temp, casting gets faster than without the shelf as the mold never gets too hot.

Walter Laich
06-05-2015, 11:24 AM
just order the floating plate and another fence. Figure to make a 'cattle chute' for the mold to fit into.

kalison
06-26-2015, 01:59 AM
Had a chance to cast some boolits finally.

I have to agree with VHoward. I kinda like the heatsink and I kinda don't. Seems like it takes me a lot longer to get rolling, and its putting me on a pace thats just a little too fast for me. It's 100 degrees outside and I still feel the shelf is pulling heat away from my mould like thats its job.

Little torn, because when I finally got the shelf to temp, things were okay... but I felt my pace had to speed up... because if the shelf falls in temp, that means the next time my mould goes on it, its going to pull my mould down even more.

So, I love how it looks and I love that someone is making this stuff... but, I don't know if its for me.... but it just looks soo good :D

Nueces
06-26-2015, 10:42 AM
I can see us getting to the point where we want a little heating element on that shelf.

VHoward
06-26-2015, 04:17 PM
http://www.mcmaster.com/#35475k162/=xsn7ql
You could use one of these hooked into a PID and mounted on the bottom of the shelf. Could heat to 300 degrees. Or just hook it to a light dimmer and set it to about mid point or slightly higher.

OpenNRG
06-26-2015, 09:02 PM
If the shelf was made of steel it would get so hot you would have to be cooling it down.

I know some people keep 2 molds going at a time just so they can allow one mold to cool down some.

Time for the Pot to Heat Up...Time for the Shelf to heat up? I keep two propane torches on my shop benches at all times, year round. Would say in my work I average grabbing one 4-5 times a week. Re-fill the 1lb bottles from 20lb tanks.
http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-TS4000-Trigger-Start-Torch/dp/B00008ZA09/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1435364151&sr=8-2&keywords=auto+ignite+torch
There are cheaper ones at Harbor Freight

I may be wrong but I don't think the shelf is heat sinking the molds as much as you think. The mold is on the shelf for at most 10 seconds. Most likely in the 2-4 second range. (one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three . . .) It is not going to draw that much heat in that amount of time.

Went out to the shop to test it but all my 9v batteries were dead. Will charge them tomorrow and let you know how much heat comes off a 6x9mm Lee mold in 5 seconds.

VHoward
06-26-2015, 09:14 PM
I'm just comparing the use of the mold support bar that RCBS provides and the shelf unit you made. I still prefer the shelf unit you made and will probably just use a torch to preheat the shelf before I start casting. The heating pad was just a wild idea I won't be doing.

bbqncigars
06-26-2015, 10:51 PM
You could insulate the bottom of the shelf. It's not as sexy as a PIDed heater, but it would work. A coating of high temp RTV sealant should do the job.

VHoward
06-26-2015, 11:55 PM
I tried the propane torch tonight. Takes about 30 seconds to heat the shelf up to almost too hot to touch. Easy and cheap. Aluminum is an excellent heat sink. It will absorb and dissipate large amounts of heat even without cooling fins and it does not take a long period contact for that transfer to happen.

kalison
06-27-2015, 05:56 PM
I prefer the shelf, but there is no doubt about my pace having to speed up. I used to be able to take more time watching all the colors of the sprue change till I cracked it open... Now if I do that, I can't crack the sprue without my mallet, which I do not prefer.

So some people like to go wicked fast, that's fine. I run nothing but 5 cavity moulds, I don't need to crack through them ultra fast.

Also I didn't make argument about it being made of steel. Nor am I saying that the design is flawed, it just might not be for me.

Preheating a shelf along with everything else doesn't appeal to me, sorry.

OpenNRG
06-27-2015, 06:48 PM
Just ran a test using a Lee 6x9mm mold, K Type thermocouple in the 3rd hole and a TM6801 Thermometer. Used a tiny bulb type thermocouple so it would fit through the sprue hole. Links below.

Heated mold to 250f in the sprue, which I know is way cool but I'm a bit short of time right now. Shelf temp was 85f.

At 2, 5 and 10 seconds I could not see a drop. At 30 seconds on the shelf it was down to about 240f. At a minute it was down to about 220.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Thermometer-TM6801-Type-K-thermocouple-/321631857242?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae2c0aa5a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-Type-Thermocouple-Thermometer-wire-Measuring-Temperature-Sensor-Probe-Text-1P-/360913322521?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item54081c4219

kalison
06-27-2015, 06:54 PM
So you were measuring an empty cavity?

OpenNRG
06-27-2015, 07:09 PM
Yes. I know it would be different with lead and 500 degrees.

HighHook
06-27-2015, 07:10 PM
Great idea! I just ordered one...

VHoward
06-28-2015, 12:15 PM
No need to get excited. I was just stating what I observed between using the RCBS mold rest rod and the shelf. When I use the rod, my preheated molds do not act like they are too cold for casting. When I use the shelf, my preheated molds act as if they are cooling off faster and you have to cast many rejects until the shelf heats up. But yesterday, I used a propane torch on the shelf for 30 seconds or so and I did not have that problem. Still keeping the shelf.

OpenNRG
06-28-2015, 01:23 PM
I wasn't getting excited. Was actually curious myself. I expect it does draw some heat off.

OpenNRG
07-15-2015, 10:02 AM
Just a quick FYI. We've got a bunch of new products coming out next week for a different market. (not gun related) There is a good chance we'll be sold out of the upgrade kits for a while. Right now we have 7 of the RCBS kits available.

thanks for the orders and the feedback. DeWayne

Leadmelter
07-15-2015, 09:19 PM
I finally got to use this product. It works on my 1980's vintage pot. It takes the strain off my shoulders.
Very nice addition to my setup.
Leadmelter
MI

MaverickNH
10-12-2015, 12:54 PM
Any problems anticipated heating up the pot with the lid on, removing to flux with wax/pine shavings, and replacing when the smoke fades? I figure the lid could sit on the bottom shelf while fluxing.

dromia
10-16-2015, 03:35 AM
I have fitted this kit to my Pro Melt and it is a big improvement, especially the shelf when using moulds with base pins like the NOE RG moulds.

Drilled a hole in the lid to take the temp probe for my PID.

The parts are well made and easy to fit.

garymcgehee52
11-14-2015, 09:12 PM
Received my Pro Melt upgrade today. 15 minutes I had it installed. Fit and finish is great. I will cast with it tomorrow.

stanford
11-16-2015, 10:22 AM
No need to get excited. I was just stating what I observed between using the RCBS mold rest rod and the shelf. When I use the rod, my preheated molds do not act like they are too cold for casting. When I use the shelf, my preheated molds act as if they are cooling off faster and you have to cast many rejects until the shelf heats up. But yesterday, I used a propane torch on the shelf for 30 seconds or so and I did not have that problem. Still keeping the shelf.

VHoward,

I am glad you posted this, I am using this shelf with my Lee pot and as noted there is definitely a difference when using the shelf and heavy loads for me. I thought about the blow torch but have not tried it yet, hopefully this weekend I will have time to do so. I really like the shelf, I always have to adjust height when using 2 cavity molds and 6 cavity molds. Other than that its a great addition and worth adding to your pot.

PbHurler
11-21-2015, 05:16 AM
I don't own an RCBS pot (yet), but just ordered the kit for when I do. (I always wondered about the functionality of the RCBS mold guide rod with RG type molds)

How's that for being ate-up with this hobby?

Is this Forum a support group or an enabler group? :lol:

VHoward
11-21-2015, 01:18 PM
An enabler group for sure. :bigsmyl2:

swamp
11-21-2015, 10:35 PM
I got the Pro-Melt upgrade and really like them. The shelf works much better than the rod.
swamp

Nick Quick
05-14-2016, 11:18 PM
I just ordered a lid few minutes ago. I did not order the shelve because is perfectly horizontal and I like to keep the mold inclined a bit so the sprue puddle goes in the opposite direction of where the next hole to be filled is on the mold. The idea of a shelve is fantastic but I'll wait until they would be available with an angle option.

WILCO
05-14-2016, 11:21 PM
Just found this thread. Neat concept.

M-Tecs
05-14-2016, 11:48 PM
Great product and very good price.

Walter Laich
05-15-2016, 08:53 PM
these are the sprinkles on the ice cream cone.

bazzer485
05-26-2016, 02:19 AM
Oh, I recently bought the Lee pot and kit. I did not know about this kit for the Pro Melt otherwise I would have gone that route. Just a question, why is the Pro melt kit much less expensive than the Lee kit? If anything it looks like more work in making the pro melt kit.

Walter Laich
05-26-2016, 09:11 AM
If you look at the lids the Lee one has more cutouts than the PM.

Tailhunter
05-27-2016, 07:03 AM
Just got mine the other day. Installs easily and quickly. Makes the job so much better. Wonder how I actually cast with the NOE hp moulds before. :grin:
One question, the steel screws on the bottom of the mould scrape the thin insert that you made especially for this mold. Can the alum. be lubed with something to lessen this?

OpenNRG
05-27-2016, 08:24 PM
The Lee Upgrade Kit cost more the the RCBS because it has 4 more knurled knobs, a 1/8" plate to mount the control tower, the 3/8" thick pot support and the 1/2" thick bases.

Tailhunter - PTFE (Teflon) is a good dry lube. Not sure how much it will help. Handy stuff to have / use.

http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Non-Stick-Dry-Film-Lubricant-14-Ounce/dp/B00D3G6IFE?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_17&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

john from md
09-14-2018, 04:07 PM
I just received my RCBS kit from DeWayne. It is really nicely done and will make using a 4 cavity steel mold much easier. ;)