PDA

View Full Version : Life is too short for bad pot

ohland
04-12-2015, 06:09 PM
As I was pouring some boolits this afternoon (before it rained!) my trusty Lee 4-20 was chugging along, as it always has (over four years now?). BUT... we all know what happens to men when they get a little more mature... The wild, unpredictable mood swings no longer have that same panache.... The chassis isn't as shiny as it once was... Cheap and plentiful just isn't enough. After putting things away, I started to look for an RCBS Pro-Melt.

Yes, I know that Cast Boolit members sell PID kits. But that is not the stable, mature relationship that I am yearning for. Sure, a fling with cheap pot is good for a while, but I'm not satisfied anymore.

When I start with the Lee wide open to melt the pot, it then takes a bit to come down from the high. Never sure of where I am in the relationship, constant testing is required. To wrap things up, it is good to have a legal arrangement with responsibilities.

My apologies to Colorado.

:veryconfu

GaryN
04-12-2015, 06:54 PM
My Lee pot is more of a spectator these days. I still use it occasionally for the odd alloy I may want. It is not as fun to use. It drips a lot. The pot itself is smaller (ten pounds). It still works so I won't throw it away. It is less productive. It drips a lot (oh I said that). The clearance for the mold is less. It was cheaper. It is better than using a camp stove. So yes, life is too short for bad pot.

freebullet
04-12-2015, 06:59 PM
They are what they are. No problems with mine, but like all things by lee it leaves you wanting something a bit better or more refined. I'm sticking with the lee unless I build the 40-60lbs one I want.

dakotashooter2
04-12-2015, 09:28 PM
I expected something totally different out of this thread............................

retread
04-12-2015, 09:32 PM
I expected something totally different out of this thread............................

I assume you mean States are going to outlaw lead pots to be replaced by MJ type of pot!!

runfiverun
04-12-2015, 09:34 PM
I was warming up the delete button :lol:

keep that old pot out on the bench you'll find a use for it, the wife thought I was nuts ordering a new LEE 10 pound pot.
since I already have a LEE 20 and two magma 40 pound pots already.
the little 10 pounder has it's uses and gets used more than the 20 pound pot does.

Beagle333
04-12-2015, 09:42 PM
I got a 10#'er that I keep just for my pure for ML balls. I put a bolt in the bottom of my 20# Lee and now just use it to alloy the various types of ingots that I buy here into my custom mix ingots which I stack for ready use next to the Pro Melt.

ohland
04-12-2015, 10:18 PM
The Lee 4-20 is a pretty good deal for a beginner. If Lee would make a PID accessory, I'd have already bought it. My 4-20 has not leaked yet. No shocking. No buzzing. It is just not very easy starting to cast at 800 degrees, I must be Frosty the Lee Pot User.

What's that haze from? Marijuana? No, his bullets were cast too hot, so they make everything look frosty...

Start doing the math, my 4-20 was about $65 with S&H. Not bad. So lets add a PID, which I would rather have assembled. @140 or so delivered. Now my pot habit is @200.

The Lee spout is a wee bit low, and I'm not exactly excited over mounting my pot at eye level, OR sitting with my lap under the casting bench so I can see the spout alignment.

The Waaze pot certainly called to me, it's about half the price of RCBS, but it lacks a bottom pour spout. I was casting some 225415 today (old Lyman blocks with flat faces!) and I had better fill by holding the ladle about 1/2" up from the sprue hole. Also had some issues with lumpy stuff. Think of the luxury of setting a temp and having the electric components track it... The 4-20 dial should go to 11.... (Spinal Tap)

:coffeecom

Beagle333
04-12-2015, 10:44 PM
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.

willie_pete
04-13-2015, 05:19 AM
I love that movie.

wp

MBTcustom
04-13-2015, 06:13 AM
The Lee 4-20 is a wonder of modern manufacturing. So much capability for so little money!
I did install a PID controller, and I believe I took that little sucker to the limit of what is achievable with dropping lead into a mold. However, I have just about used it up. There are screws that have loosened and been tightened so many times, they have literally worn out their holes. I would have to completely disassemble the pot, plug and re-tap them in order to carry on, and frankly, it's just not worth my time.
I have cast thousands of bullets on the little 4-20, but I found myself yearning for a piece of equipment that was heavier duty, and the RCBS was what I wanted. I had already opened the safe and had a talk with the residents to see who would like to take one for the home team, but through a wonderful circumstance, I was prevented from having to take such drastic measures by member Jayvod.
Now that I have used the RCBS pot, I realize this is a tool that was made to last a lifetime. It's big, it's heavy, it's silent, and it's consistent. One thing that I discovered last night was that if you are pouring lead from a standing position, the front of the pot is shaped such that you can watch the stream! With the Lee, you really are never in a position to do that. What a nice feature!
In short, I don't think the RCBS would be worth it to me unless I had already worn a Lee slap out, but since I have, I truly cherish every opportunity to cast with the RCBS. It's fantastic.

rmcc
04-13-2015, 06:32 AM
Bought one Lee new, got another at an auction. Use the hell out of both. GOODSTEEL is right , you have to tighten this, tweak that, but they always come back for more. Had a Lyman 20#, element went out, end of story. Got the Lee as a stop gap, never looked back.

imashooter2
04-13-2015, 07:21 AM
Some guys are just fine in a Chevy. Others want the Buick. Still others drive the Cadillac. Drive what you want. They all get you there.

HABCAN
04-13-2015, 10:46 AM
My original little LEE 10-pounder has faithfully melted WWs for me for about 40 years now. Two years ago, I got another so's I could have a choice of two alloys for boolits. 'Nuff said.

dakotashooter2
04-13-2015, 11:26 AM
This has me wondering would MJ work as a flux? Could kill 2 birds with one stone. ;)

ohland
04-13-2015, 12:26 PM
I assume you mean States are going to outlaw lead pots to be replaced by MJ type of pot!!

Well, using a MJ pipe to cast for shooting would take lungs of steel to keep the draw going....

FISH4BUGS
04-13-2015, 05:26 PM
MY 20 LB'ER HAS SERVED ME FAITHFULLY FOR WELL OVER 20 YEARS WITHOUT A HITCH DRIP-O-MATIC? YES. A QUICK TURN WITH THE SCREWDRIVER TAKES CARE OF THAT.
Jeez. I hate caps lock.
The only thing I ever replaced was the mould guide and only because the locking screw had stripped out. I use a LOT of 4, 6 and 10 cavity H&G's on this so no wonder.....
Maybe I am just inexperienced, or maybe I just don't pay attention, but the Lee pot seems to be fine. Dollar for dollar, they are the best value today IMHO.

retread
04-14-2015, 09:07 PM
When I first got my 4-20 it did drip. I chucked up a straight slot screw driver in my cordless and went to it. After spinning it for a minute or so I tried it and it hasn't drip since. Been 3 years now, still no drip. And no it does not hold 20 pounds.

mold maker
04-15-2015, 10:37 AM
Suddenly all through the forum, the LEE haters are quiet. I also have an enjoyable relationship with a LEE 4-20, and 2 other LEE pots. While I do have a Lyman, it sure is nice not to have to dump and clean a pot, to change alloys.
I sure couldn't do that with all RCBS or Lyman.