PDA

View Full Version : My first casting session

Seeker
04-11-2015, 04:55 PM
This is the results of my first attempt at casting my own. The one in the middle I consider a cull. Most of them turned out good in my opinion. I learned a lot today. For one thing I am gonna try a better mold. These are Lee 452-200-RF. I thought I was doing pretty good until the line up pins backed up and they went lop sided. I got them pushed back to where they belonged and it went well for another 15 pours and they loosened up again. I read a fix-it for that on here and will have to look it up again. So... I'd like some of your opinions. How do they look? They weighed between 214 and 218 grns.
136602 136603

Yodogsandman
04-11-2015, 05:44 PM
They look good! Good job! Everyone runs into little problems along the way, not to worry. Go shoot em up and make some more!

bangerjim
04-11-2015, 06:39 PM
Those look just fine. I cast the same Lee mold and always get perfect boolits (many hundreds of them!) Why change?

Be sure you always pre-heat your mold(s) on a hot plate to full casting temp to get perfect drops from #1!

Now you need to look into power coating to eiminate all the hassle of grease lubing.

PC = no leading, no grease smoke, no sticky boolits, more time shooting, less time cleanin your barrels, very inexpensive.

Cneck out the stickies in coating alternatives.

bnager-j

1Iron
04-11-2015, 06:58 PM
Those look really good. They sure are shiny, I like 'em. What alloy did you use??

1Iron

Seeker
04-11-2015, 07:27 PM
Those look really good. They sure are shiny, I like 'em. What alloy did you use??

1Iron

50% jig lead from fishing lure co. and 50% wheel weights. Not sure the hardness but no leading in my .45 Colt. I loaded up a doz. and shot them.

gray wolf
04-11-2015, 08:13 PM
Very nice job for the first time. I'm sure they will shoot just fine.

Now this is not a slur on your fine boolets but your mold and or your melt is a tad cold.
Possibly your looking and checking as you cast and letting things cool a bit.
You will notice the slight waviness on the top of the boolets and the very high shine.

Again, just my observation.

Sam