PDA

View Full Version : demoisturizing cream of wheat

nekshot
04-11-2015, 08:59 AM
not to restart the filler wars but how do you all keep COW dry?

Beagle333
04-11-2015, 09:02 AM
After drying it for a while on a cookie sheet in a the oven, I pour it into one of those "red and blue make green" ziplock bags. :cool: 'Never had trouble with it getting humid while stored.

longbow
04-11-2015, 10:32 AM
I don't bother. Certainly drying COW isn't a bad thing but I am not sure it is necessary.

I did a test 2 or 3 years ago where I loaded up some .303 British with COW filler. I left some rounds in the basement where they would normally be and some were put outside under a tree in an open Ziploc bag for 10 months through summer, fall, winter and spring.

Then I pulled boolits from two or three rounds of each and found no difference in packing/caking, which wasn't bad anyway, so reseated boolits and shot them all. No difference in performance I could tell either, or from recently loaded rounds.

That COW was not dried before loading.

Lately I have been mixing graphite powder with the COW after reading about it in a post on another site. IIRC the mix is 1 teaspoon of graphite to 1 cup of COW. Can't say I have noticed any real difference but it can't hurt.

One day I will order some shotgun buffer and give that a try but so far COW works well for me.

Longbow

scottfire1957
04-12-2015, 12:54 AM
I don't bother. Certainly drying COW isn't a bad thing but I am not sure it is necessary.

I did a test 2 or 3 years ago where I loaded up some .303 British with COW filler. I left some rounds in the basement where they would normally be and some were put outside under a tree in an open Ziploc bag for 10 months through summer, fall, winter and spring.

Then I pulled boolits from two or three rounds of each and found no difference in packing/caking, which wasn't bad anyway, so reseated boolits and shot them all. No difference in performance I could tell either, or from recently loaded rounds.

That COW was not dried before loading.

Lately I have been mixing graphite powder with the COW after reading about it in a post on another site. IIRC the mix is 1 teaspoon of graphite to 1 cup of COW. Can't say I have noticed any real difference but it can't hurt.

One day I will order some shotgun buffer and give that a try but so far COW works well for me.

Longbow

You use another site to gather knowledge? Good for you!

jonp
04-12-2015, 06:36 AM
I pour some into a mason jar. I'm not sure it absorbs enough moisture for this to be a problem because if it did then it would mold and mildew on the shelf wouldn't it?

enfield
04-12-2015, 07:44 AM
stop mixing it with hot water and sugar