PDA

View Full Version : humming birds

mold maker
04-09-2015, 08:21 PM
Last week the wife said she saw a hummingbird. I filled the feeder, and today sure nuff there it was.
Never saw them this early before. Last week it was down to 27* one morning.
That one must have an overcoat.

DougGuy
04-09-2015, 08:24 PM
I like to refer to this page, it shows sightings every year.

http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

pworley1
04-09-2015, 09:10 PM
They are starting to show up here too.

Petrol & Powder
04-09-2015, 09:10 PM
They say humming birds migrate but I don't believe it. I put an all weather, 4 pound GPS unit on one and that sucker didn't go anywhere.....
:bigsmyl2:

Moonie
04-09-2015, 09:32 PM
I'm amazed that they migrate across the gulf of Mexico, hard to believe but true. Also, they do not "eat" sugar water, they eat insects, they use nectar/sugar water for energy, something has to make those wangs move that fast ;)

Powder Burn
04-09-2015, 10:22 PM
Good info and nice map. I put the feeders out for funzies in Central Illinois. I should start seeing them soon. I also started feeding Baltimore Orioles last year but don't know when they arrive in my area.

bangerjim
04-09-2015, 10:41 PM
We have hummers around here in the desert SW year round. Different species. I have at lease 4 nests on the property that I know of. They are amazing lil creatures.

With all the citrus and flowering plants, they keep busy. Tried a couple different feeders over the years but the day to night temp swings tend to pump the liquid out.

John Allen
04-09-2015, 11:05 PM
Hummingbirds, the vampires of the flower world. (Sheldon Cooper)

tdoyka
04-10-2015, 03:33 AM
i'll start looking here next week, http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html , that was a real good web site dougguy.

they should be here in the next week or two.

rondog
04-10-2015, 03:41 AM
Hummer infestation.....

http://twistedsifter.com/videos/flock-of-hummingbirds-feeding/

big bore 99
04-10-2015, 03:48 AM
Haven't seen them yet here near Asheville,NC. Have my feeders up and waiting for them. Saw some yellow finches here today.

quilbilly
04-10-2015, 12:47 PM
Our hummers have arrived on exactly the same day every spring for the last five years. March 17th rain or shine, snow or no snow. They now have us trained. We put the food out on the 14th.

mainiac
04-10-2015, 06:10 PM
mothers day weekend up here in the frozen north,,set your clock by them,,,,,amazing how they know....

lightman
04-11-2015, 10:04 AM
We saw our first one nearly 2 weeks ago. We just now, this morning, saw our first Baltimore Oriole of the year. My Wife was excited! Also started seeing Purple Martins about a week ago. Spring is here! Yea!!!

Bad Water Bill
04-12-2015, 04:30 AM
Now how about a report on the Monarch Butterfly migration from Mexico?

LUCKYDAWG13
04-12-2015, 11:44 AM
my feeder is going up today

Case Stuffer
04-12-2015, 05:35 PM
First ones showed up 10 days ago ,wife had to refill the feeder yesterday.

Mauser48
04-12-2015, 08:14 PM
I want to get one mounted.

snuffy
04-12-2015, 08:53 PM
I mixed up nectar, cleaned 2 feeders, put them up. Got up to 76 degrees today, I hope to see some soon.

Comments like that should be left unsaid!:mad:

41mag
04-13-2015, 06:56 AM
Yep they have been at our place in the country for the past three weeks. The wife filled up the feeder two weeks back then added another last weekend. They will both be empty when we get there this coming weekend I am sure.

As for them heading out over the gulf, yep seen that with my own two eye's. We were fishing one night at Rollover Pass had the lights up and putting some nice trout in the cooler. I was looking out across the water when this hummingbird went straight by us headed south. Believe me there was nothing past about 40yds from us other than open water for the next many hundred miles.

KYCaster
04-13-2015, 08:54 PM
Hummer infestation.....

http://twistedsifter.com/videos/flock-of-hummingbirds-feeding/

Boz330 has a similar horde in his back yard. His wife puts out several feeders and sometimes has to fill some of them twice a day.

It's impossible to get an accurate count, but at any one time there may be 50 or so on the feeders or waiting their turn to get a drink.

They have one bully that spends all his time chasing the other birds off his personal feeder.

Fascinating little creatures.

Jerry

Bad Water Bill
04-13-2015, 09:14 PM
The wife and I visited the wine country of Ca.

We got a hand drawn map to get us to the ocean

Many miles of dirt roads later we found a trading post on the beach.

What a true paradise.

Colorful flowers completely covered the building and there were more hummers of more varieties than I had ever seen and they were there by the hundreds.

What an amazing site but I could never find it again if I tried.

Forty Rod Ray
04-13-2015, 09:44 PM
Have been feeding the little fellers about 15 years. First in Memphis, then here on Lookout Mountain.

Couple of suggestions for what it's worth.

Food does not have to be colored. Should keep it fresh. Can use sugar water, 4 to 1 water to sugar, simply combine and stir or whip. No food color needed.
My experience is that they are hungry after arrival, then slack off for a while then pick up again. They fight like ally cats.

If any come in your home, they will fly around looking to escape. I have picked up those who have become exhausted and for those who light out of reach, hold a broom head near enough for them to step on and then carry them out. They never say thanks and will buzz you if you stand too close to "their" dinner.

Have seen photos of a chap who somehow tamed them to land on his fingers. We have a nest that was found by bride's brother. If I can conquer the upload, I'll post image... One of the Masters best designs....

One last thing. It's best to keep spiderwebs knocked down near feeders. I found one wrapped up in a web. Pitiful. This was in Memphis where there was a vet who specialized in trying to save these injured birds at no charge.

William Yanda
04-17-2015, 10:51 PM
In Western New York, we've just had the peepers for a little over a week. They were a few days late this year.

opos
04-18-2015, 07:04 AM
Please remember to change the nectar about every 7 days and kind of clean the feeder..they build up yeast if left and while not fatal..can make the hummer's sick...great little "flying Christmas lights"..we got them here pretty much year round.

Plate plinker
04-18-2015, 08:30 AM
not sure a taxidermist will do a hummingbird.......:kidding:

Plate plinker
04-18-2015, 10:41 PM
Now all joking aside how about some pictures of hummingbirds if you have them. Lets see if we can get pictures of more than just the Ruby throated. How about?