PDA

View Full Version : A measure of the loyalty of the membership

Buckshot
03-11-2008, 01:26 AM
..............I thought this might be fitting to post as we pass the 5,000 membership mark. I think it is pretty interesting, and I gathered the info in January:

We have:

4,400 members and 58 are currently onboard (plus about 80 spybots and/or guests)

The other folks have:

29,600 members and 116 are onboard (plus they have the same spybot/guest/lurkers)

So at this moment, we have about 15% of their membership, or they're 7 times larger, yet only have twice the number of members WE HAVE currently online.

Put another way they have less then 1/2% online and we have almost 2%

I'm hurting myself with this math :-).

I'm not dissing the other place and that's why I won't name it. We're NOT in competition, plus it too is a great place. This was strictly a comparison of PUBLIC figures available to anyone.

.................Buckshot

AZ-Stew
03-11-2008, 10:31 AM
There's another place?? :shock:

Regards,

Stew

fishhawk
03-11-2008, 10:36 AM
just a rumor Stew

S.R.Custom
03-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Yeah, what's the other place? I have the urge to go be a troll. :twisted:

racepres
03-11-2008, 11:46 PM
Yeah, what's the other place? I have the urge to go be a troll. :twisted:

+1.. Take me.. I never get to go!!!!! MV

Buckshot
03-12-2008, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by SuperMag
Yeah, what's the other place? I have the urge to go be a troll.

+1.. Take me.. I never get to go!!!!! MV

..............SuperMag, PLEASE take racepres with you :-)

..............Buckshot

454PB
03-12-2008, 12:56 AM
Hmmmm....Graybeard has 23K and Accurate Reloading has 30K. Maybe it's one I have missed.

jdhenry
03-12-2008, 01:13 AM

Regards,

Stew

I could not have said it better my self!!!!!!! I Would not be where I am today without this GREAT group!!!!!! A little over a year ago I would have looked at you crazy talking about casting. Now look at me I'm a honcho.. And a lifer with this group!!!!!!!!

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP:)

Bret4207
03-12-2008, 01:59 PM
I played troll at Sayeeds house a couple times. You'd a thunk I'd crapped right in the living room in front of Grandma and the little ones. My advice, don't do it. Too many feelings get hurt and noses bent and whatnot. We're supposed to "be above that".....

Hip's Ax
03-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Considering I found this place by Google searching "Paper Patched Bullet" 3 years ago (to try and feed my then newly acquired 1889 Schmidt Rubin) and have been checking the site 5 or so time a day ever since, I don't care of theres another site.

The topics discussed here by the learned members present is about the most interesting thing I've ever found.

I now posses over 100 pounds of bee's wax, MANY pounds of various other waxes plus oils, grease etc AND two lead pots, a dozen moulds and about 300 pounds of lead and tin AND have not yet cast bullet one myself and I'm still shopping. This should tell you how much I enjoy hanging around here, I can't stop thinking about casting.

Thanks for the wonderful site!! :drinks:

azcoyhunter
03-12-2008, 07:03 PM

Regards,

Stew

Amen,

This place is the best INTERNET FORUM out there.

Clint

HORNET
03-12-2008, 07:38 PM
I seem to recall signing up on some site that spelled "BOOLIT" funny a while after they changed to look a lot like this place. Don't think I've been back more'n a couple of times since. They got no sensa humor an' threaten to boot you out for hijacking threads. Where's the fun in that??? Some of the best threads go way off track and wander back from a different direction....

The Nyack Kid
03-12-2008, 11:38 PM
I seem to recall signing up on some site that spelled "BOOLIT" funny a while after they changed to look a lot like this place. Don't think I've been back more'n a couple of times since. They got no sensa humor an' threaten to boot you out for hijacking threads. Where's the fun in that??? Some of the best threads go way off track and wander back from a different direction....

????? thead hijacking ????? thats a harsh way to put it , i like to think of it as "getting there via the scenic rout", "thinking outside the box" and " i aints lost , i'm just not were i'm supposed to be" all wrapped up in one .

trickyasafox
03-13-2008, 01:00 AM
I used to post on a bunch of different boards with more members- but this forum, with WAY less members- still has more information and it is universally distributed in a far friendlier manner in MHO.

VTDW
03-13-2008, 07:42 AM
I am quite proud to be a grunt in this army.:castmine:

Dave

ovendoctor
03-13-2008, 08:35 AM
the good book sez you will be known by your walk[and integrity ] thats wat
I like about this site :-D

HABCAN
03-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Who needs any other site? I have learned more here since coming on board than in the previous many decades I have been casting. Thanks to those here, I now KNOW a little about the subject, and am having a lot more success. THANK YOU!

mroliver77
03-13-2008, 12:51 PM
I have learned a lot here too. I was looking for a lube formula and found cast pics. That led me here. Nobody else in my area casts. I get to talk about my passion with others that share it here.
J

59stude
03-13-2008, 01:57 PM
This site have learned me more things about casting and shooting then anything else. I started casting and reloading in 1988 when I bought my Dillon Square Deal for $145 and tried to do my own loadings in .38. I was lucky to get an good mentor and learned a lot to become an half decent shooter. But after finding this site and reading all posts at that time, I learned a lot more and started to expand my casting hobby. And because of all friendly and helpful people here I have managed to get more stuff to use in my casting, and I still want more. I think I have become an casting junkie now, and maybe the board on this site soon have to start an "Group Buy Anonymous" :-D to deal with the problem, because I not think I am the only one that have been addicted to this.

59stude

HollandNut
03-14-2008, 09:35 AM
I dont remember "how" I found this place , it was surely by accident , only wish I had found it sooner ..

There is one other hunting forum I frequent a bit more than here , and it's small , less than 400 and Africa oriented , and I'm on the payroll there ..

One thing I have noticed here is that you put something up for sale , it will sell ..

Want to buy something , someone probably has it and most likely will sell it ....

Bigjohn
03-14-2008, 06:07 PM
ANOTHER SITE! Who needs to know? I thought this was heaven and that I had been admitted.

Really, when I joined; after lurking for only about and hour or so; I was still serving my apprenticeship in casting. Well, I still don't call myself a tradesman but I am now studying for my Bacholership of Casting. I will still be studying for this on the day I head off for the big range in the sky.

ANOTHER SITE? NAH! that just a rumor!

John.

Buckshot
03-15-2008, 01:47 AM
ANOTHER SITE! Who needs to know? I thought this was heaven and that I had been admitted.

Really, when I joined; after lurking for only about and hour or so; I was still serving my apprenticeship in casting. Well, I still don't call myself a tradesman but I am now studying for my Bacholership of Casting. I will still be studying for this on the day I head off for the big range in the sky.

ANOTHER SITE? NAH! that just a rumor!

John.

..............All us caster are like doctors. We're PRACTICING. All the time practicing. No matter HOW long you've been dipping molten lead you'll have the occassional problem. Thing is, your bag of tricks just gets larger over time so fighting your way out of the bag just gets faster and easier.

.................Buckshot

rockrat
03-15-2008, 09:52 AM
I will have to admit that I do frequent another site, but I do see some of you there, also. [smilie=1: I usually open a couple of windows, usually three, this one, Leverguns, and my Harley site, hdforums. Visit a few others, but not too much. Guess 99% are those three, and here and Leverguns are the first I go when I go online.
Consider these two sites to have the finest people you could ever find.

Bent Ramrod
03-15-2008, 10:31 AM
In my estimation, this site has been the easiest to get on and stay on of all the fora involved in our sport. I'm pretty computer illiterate and most of the sites give me a "sorry, we cannot proceed" even after I go through all the applications, registrations, password mailings and so forth.

Even after that initiation, sites that have a lot of knowledge available sometimes have an ambience that gives the newcomer a feeling that he is a perpetual pledge in a very snooty fraternity, or worse, a wannabe trying to get beaten into a street gang. Yes, everybody there is an expert (in their own modest estimation, if nowhere else), and they lose no opportunity to push that in the newcomer's face and minimize or ridicule his own questions and/or attempts at contributing to the knowledge base.

Eventually, it just don't feel like home, and I lurk or drift off. This site is the most like the old Shooters' site I've seen; a place where everyone is welcome and the merest beginner can notice something the long-time experts have overlooked and bring it to the community's attention without catching a lot of contumely about it.

LeadThrower
03-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Thanks to the wonderful folks at this forum I was up and casting less than a month after I first got the notion that making one's own projectiles was feasible. Since then I've learned so much here about casting, reloading, ballistics, lubes, etc. that it boggles the mind. This place is the one and only for me. Thanks for the addiction!