PDA

View Full Version : Realizing your getting older

dakotashooter2
04-08-2015, 11:01 AM
This last year my age has really started to hit home. I've always believed you are as young as you feel but it seems like all the celebrities I grew up with have been dropping like flies this last year...................

1Shirt
04-08-2015, 11:13 AM
Well, I would really like to know where the last 35 or 40 years went! I grew up in rural western N.Y., and graduated with a class of 31. As of today, only 3 have died. My wife grew up in South Ga, and graduated with a class of over 225. About 40 percent of her classmates have died. Seems like she gets notice of another one or two about every month. Don't know if that means any thing but I find it interesting. At 76 and retired, I find I can do pretty much what I want as long as my health holds out, and not being greedy, that's about all I can hope for.
1Shirt

rush1886
04-08-2015, 12:02 PM
Don't recall where I read that: Life is like a roll of toilet tissue. The closer you get to the end of the roll, the quicker it disappears!

mold maker
04-08-2015, 12:24 PM
My Dad once said, all the friends he grew up with, and most of those he worked with, had gone on to their rewards. Had God forgotten about him?
I'm beginning to feel the same way.

Echo
04-08-2015, 02:20 PM
I work at an Air Museum, and most of the 300+ volunteers are over 60, so I have lost several chums over the past 13 years. And at 80, I'm grinnin' the Grim Reaper down...

white eagle
04-08-2015, 05:37 PM
its been said getting old is not for sissy's

pworley1
04-08-2015, 06:00 PM
I have been retired for 12 years and they have been the busiest and quickest of my life.

xbeeman412
04-08-2015, 06:23 PM
I don't have time to feel old. Guess the bees are keeping Me arthueritis free an still moving (sometimes in a hurry to get away).

Le Loup Solitaire
04-08-2015, 09:12 PM
Somebody once said that,"the trouble with youth is that it is wasted on the young". LLS

Powder Burn
04-08-2015, 09:44 PM
The 1st thing to go is your memory, after that I forget.

captaint
04-09-2015, 09:38 AM
My father in law used to say " I don't know what happened to my golden years. They're tarnished." He did live to be 86 though. Good guy.

mtncharlie1968
04-09-2015, 09:41 AM
No, it's not memory that goes first, it's usually little dickie.
Mine used to stand and watch me shave, now it mostly just watches me put on my socks.
After that is when the memory goes.😁

elk hunter
04-09-2015, 09:55 AM
Getting old beats the alternative. One wants to remember these are the "metallic years" as in silver in our hair, if we have any hair, gold in our mouths and lead in our b&&ts. When I stopped to think about it I realized that the end of this month I'll have been retired 16 years. My where has the time gone.

shdwlkr
04-09-2015, 04:29 PM
This last winter and being sick a lot has made this spring much harder to get things going, seems I wear out a whole lot faster than I did in the past. As to age, well if I hang in there like most of my family I will have another 30 years to drive folks nuts. Best part of growing old in my book

jsizemore
04-09-2015, 08:25 PM
I was watching an ASE video on Youtube about O2 sensors and fuel trim. The instructor mentioned something about a dwell meter and did anybody in the class know what it was and there was dead silence. Then he asked if anybody knew about points in a distributor. There were crickets chirping this time. I was feeling real old about then.

04-09-2015, 08:34 PM
Haahaaa... A buddy of mine and I were having a conversation about points and condensers recently.. he said the kids where he works were clueless when he explained to them what they 'were'..

Spent the day crawling over my new to me old truck that wouldn't start this morning.. After 3 hours, replacing the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, climbing all about the truck to get to it all, I am feeling the pain. Could have done that twice and not felt it several years back.. :bigsmyl2:

starmac
04-10-2015, 02:35 AM
Mounted all 10 new tires on the KW today, sure don't need anybody to tell me that I am on the downhill side. lol

3leggedturtle
04-10-2015, 10:56 AM
My father in law used to say " I don't know what happened to my golden years. They're tarnished." He did live to be 86 though. Good guy.
Had friend that said, "these are the golden years, YEAH it is for the doctors who get rich off us old people"

Char-Gar
04-10-2015, 11:39 AM
All of life is a head game that includes getting older. It is what we make of it. We lose family, friends and the ability to do what we did years ago. But, we also get freedom from the pressures of youth and it can be a very pleasant and rewarding time of life. For folks who cannot accept loss of any kind, it is a very difficult period of life.

Rufus Krile
04-11-2015, 12:27 AM
And we have to set goals... I, for one, intend to outlive Jane Fonda. That's one grave I plan to desecrate no matter how long the line is...

BDJ
04-11-2015, 03:44 AM
I'll save you a spot in line Rufus.

iomskp
04-11-2015, 04:22 AM
Sounds like a plan

betschet50
04-11-2015, 05:12 AM
an old wise man told me when your 5 years old 1 year goes so slow because it's 1/5 of your life with each year we get older time seams to speed up at 50 each year is 1/50 of your life and when you retire fun always mikes time fly.

opos
04-11-2015, 07:55 AM
77 now and doing the best I can...got some health issues from the "fun years" that went before...Mom lived to 97 and was fine up till the last couple of years...I guess some day my card will get pulled from the rack and punched in the time clock but till then I'm enjoying the great Wife, 3 kids, 4 Grand Kids and 2 Great Grand kids.....and don't have to "be in charge" of anything. Still shoot and reload..play with antique toy steam engines and got a couple of full size antique gas engines to run now and then...we got a classic Olds Cutlass to make trips to the Dairy Queen for a treat on Sunday afternoons.

Ever notice when kids are small and you ask them how old they are they always add "and a half" (like 5 and a half, 7 and a half)...When you hit your "golden years" you don't add the "half".

fatnhappy
04-11-2015, 08:07 AM
And we have to set goals... I, for one, intend to outlive Jane Fonda. That's one grave I plan to desecrate no matter how long the line is...

I'll bring the beer.

sglshotitis
04-11-2015, 08:27 AM
Well I'm not complaining too much as I'm still getting up on the right side of the grass at 71yrs. Had an argument with a 100ft Eucalyptus tree a few years ago and lost. It provided some health issues and that's why I am giving up my 28-31 Ford AA trucks (1.5 ton). Brought me back to reloading after 40+ yrs and I'm catching up on what is new/old and swaging has caught my eye. Thought benchrest shooting looked more comfortable than tromping through the woods like I did as a young man. Glad that I found this castboolit site as there seems to be a lot of good people on it. The very best to you all. Al

DLCTEX
04-11-2015, 11:39 PM
When my grandfather was 86 I asked if time keeps on getting faster as you reach his age. It sure does, he said. It must be flying for you , I replied. Now I know I didn't have a clue.

GaryN
04-12-2015, 07:23 PM
My mom always used to say "there's not much gold in those golden years". I told her I thought the doctors had just perfected a way to keep people alive long enough to take all their money.

TX.shotgun01
04-13-2015, 11:20 AM
My grandfather told me one time on how to live as you get older "He said to take one step at a time and one day at a time because you never know when that last step or day will be" and he lived to be 77 and to this day I live the same way one step and one day at a time

sundog
04-13-2015, 11:23 AM
Yes, and when one does that, one step, one day, the roses smell better and the spring sunshine warms the bones. Each step, each day, is a blessing.

DonMerlin
04-13-2015, 06:54 PM
A friend of mine asked me one day, "how many weekends do you think you have left?"
That changed my whole outlook on life and what was/is important.
Thanks Gene!

catmandu
04-13-2015, 09:33 PM
I was told that when a man is 11 he wants a chocolate chip cookie.
When he is 21 he wants a blond cookie.
When he's 51 he wants a blond cookie and a chocolate chip cookie.

PK

TXGunNut
04-13-2015, 09:45 PM
Mounted all 10 new tires on the KW today, sure don't need anybody to tell me that I am on the downhill side. lol

I bet you don't miss split rims at all. I mounted eight of those one day, might be able to do one or two these days.

LynC2
04-13-2015, 09:59 PM

:bigsmyl2: I have a feeling it will be a long line!

duckey
04-13-2015, 10:30 PM
When your 5 and 7 year old sons Demi d you of your bald spots.

smokeywolf
04-13-2015, 10:39 PM
I try to do at least some of the same things I did when I was young. I just do them a lot slower now.

largom
04-13-2015, 11:12 PM
My mind say's that I can still do that, my body just will not co-operate.

Larry

UBER7MM
04-13-2015, 11:26 PM
I can't find my glasses.....

Blacksmith
04-14-2015, 08:20 PM
Heaven won't have me and the Devil is afraid I'll take over. So I just take it one day at a time. Now if I could just find several blonde cookies with chocolate chips.....

retread
04-14-2015, 08:57 PM
Well I'm not complaining too much as I'm still getting up on the right side of the grass at 71yrs. Had an argument with a 100ft Eucalyptus tree a few years ago and lost. It provided some health issues and that's why I am giving up my 28-31 Ford AA trucks (1.5 ton). Brought me back to reloading after 40+ yrs and I'm catching up on what is new/old and swaging has caught my eye. Thought benchrest shooting looked more comfortable than tromping through the woods like I did as a young man. Glad that I found this castboolit site as there seems to be a lot of good people on it. The very best to you all. Al

Welcome to the site Al. I am like you, away from reloading for around 40 years then picked it back up and added casting to my hobby. My moniker says it all, just a worn out tire that got some new tread and is back on the road. I too was happy to find this site. Folks are knowledgeable, helpful and very friendly. Have fun!

Jay (retread)

mold maker
04-15-2015, 12:41 PM
I was told that when a man is 11 he wants a chocolate chip cookie.
When he is 21 he wants a blond cookie.
When he's 51 he wants a blond cookie and a chocolate chip cookie.

PK

And when ya get to my age ya can't remember what to do with either.

Blacksmith
04-17-2015, 08:40 PM
And when ya get to my age ya can't remember what to do with either.

Take out your dentures and gum them. It works for me.