PDA

View Full Version : Brownells

Bad Water Bill
04-08-2015, 01:58 AM
And I thought Midway's shipping was bad.

I wanted to buy a box of 250 204 cal bullets and another 2 oz item.

Shipping WAS supposed to be $15.95.

You know they lost a sale and I will definitely be looking elsewhere.:sad:

lefty o
04-08-2015, 04:29 AM
what was it instead?

Beagle333
04-08-2015, 04:55 AM
I think shipping would be around 9± bucks from Midway. Were you mad with their old shipping, or their new shipping at Midway? They did revise it last summer with "Nitro Blast Shipping". :D

daniel lawecki
04-08-2015, 06:05 AM
Try Midsouth Shooters supply

Bad Water Bill
04-08-2015, 06:36 AM
USPS SFRB is about $6.00 and the box of bullets would have been lost in it so why an other ten bucks.

If you are a internet store your labor and parts for shipping should be figured into the price of your mdse.

Midway BRAGGED after completion of an addition to their building "We now have a UPS office built into our place to speed up your delivery" and dollars to donuts they got a reduction on shipping.

NITRO EXPRESS SHIPPING goes within a mile of my home and a mile from the Harvey IL shipping location then past one of their major midwest hubs and after traveling ANOTHER 100 miles rests for a day outside of Milwaukee Wi. before finally coming back to the yard they passed 2 days ago and EVENTUALLY reaching my home.

So much for "EXPRESS".

Midway shipping is $10.59 $5.40 less than Brownells.

captaint
04-08-2015, 07:27 AM
Looks like Brownells is going to have to get the message like Larry did. You wanna play that game - people will go elsewhere.

shooter2
04-08-2015, 07:39 AM
I went through a similar situation with Brownells over some stock tape. They wanted $5.95 to ship it. I suggested they put it in an envelope and charge me for actual shipping cost plus the cost of the envelope. That's as far as it got. Shipping charges have become a profit center. JMHO.

Garyshome
04-08-2015, 07:46 AM
+1 all of the above

pworley1
04-08-2015, 08:11 AM
I don't use Brownells much for that reason. When I order from Midway they send it by UPS which passes my house on its way to the Post office then the Post office delivers it to me the next day. It looks to me like their shipping could be halved, if they would just let UPS leave it at my house instead of carrying it on to the Post office for delivery.

largom
04-08-2015, 08:54 AM
Try Midsouth Shooters supply

Have been using Midsouth for over 30 yrs. 90% of the time their price + shipping is cheaper than others and I have to pay sales tax since I live in TN.

Larry

lefty o
04-08-2015, 01:33 PM
but the thing is with brownells, thats a flat shipping rate, you can order 1 of everything in their catalog for that same shipping rate. retail isnt brownells #1 source of customers.

duckey
04-08-2015, 03:13 PM
Can these big companies use flat rate boxes??? Or is it just for the little people to ship their stuff in??

dg31872
04-08-2015, 03:27 PM
Plus one for Midsouth. Good folks and fast shipping. Prices WAY better than Midway.

Tenbender
04-08-2015, 03:31 PM
I bought a barrel for my 40 Glock from Brownells the other day. Shipping was $4.80. Way less than Midway !

alamogunr
04-08-2015, 03:40 PM
I was going to place an order with Brownell's for a screwdriver handle and a 4 oz bottle of bluing solution. When I asked about it they said they had to ship the bluing bottle FR box. They said I could go ahead and order as much as I wanted for the same shipping cost. I'm in the process of finding other things I might need.

I told the customer service person that it might take awhile to go thru their catalog. It really won't take much more to justify their shipping charge.

duckey
04-08-2015, 04:06 PM
I have purchased from Midway and Midsouth.....total price dictates who gets my business. Have yet to buy from Brownell's. I like both places.

Cmm_3940
04-08-2015, 05:10 PM
Brownell's sells a lot of stuff that's hard to find anywhere else. Sometimes I've just had to bite my tongue and pay the shipping.

-Chris

Nueces
04-08-2015, 05:44 PM
but the thing is with brownells, thats a flat shipping rate, you can order 1 of everything in their catalog for that same shipping rate. retail isnt brownells #1 source of customers.

Brownells also ships backordered items as they get them, at no additional charge for shipping. That one shipping charge up front covers your entire order, no matter how long it takes or how many big and little boxes and envelopes it takes.

You can maintain an online wish list or save a shopping cart until ready to order. I'm pleased to have been their customer for 45 years.

BK7saum
04-08-2015, 07:08 PM
Like Nueces said, Brownells only charges shipping one time. I had three items delivered individually on one order and it only cost the initial 5.95 or whatever the charge was. Try getting MidwayUSA to do that.

I've ordered from Midway and items showed in stock. Well, I got my order and a box of bullets was backordered. Called them and they had already shipped the bullets AND charged me another 6 or 7 dollars in shipping. We went round and round for a day or so and they eventually credited me the second shipping charge. Of course that was a couple of years ago, but that part of their shipping procedure hasn't changed, I'm sure.

Brad

BRobertson
04-08-2015, 09:04 PM
Brownells also ships backordered items as they get them, at no additional charge for shipping. That one shipping charge up front covers your entire order, no matter how long it takes or how many big and little boxes and envelopes it takes.

You can maintain an online wish list or save a shopping cart until ready to order. I'm pleased to have been their customer for 45 years.

Brownells charges for shipping backordered items to Alaska. As usual we get hosed on shipping!! I have gone a couple of rounds with them over
their shipping charges. Flat rate boxes work here, for the same prices as the other 49 States!!

Bob

troyboy
04-09-2015, 06:47 PM
Everything costs. Plan ahead to minimize shipping costs or drive around, loose time, wear and tear on your vehicle and buy gas. Still better paying shipping.

bhn22
04-09-2015, 07:35 PM
And I thought Midway's shipping was bad.

I wanted to buy a box of 250 204 cal bullets and another 2 oz item.

Shipping WAS supposed to be $15.95.

You know they lost a sale and I will definitely be looking elsewhere.:sad:

Was the 2 oz item something they couldn't ship through the mail?

TXGunNut
04-09-2015, 09:44 PM
I buy wherever I get what I want for a price I'm willing to pay, sometimes that's Brownell's. They're a solid company selling good products for a reasonable price. They've helped me solve repair issues and locate hard-to-find parts, sometimes when the part was at a competitor's warehouse. Their printed and online catalogs are great sources of useful info as well.

Bad Water Bill
04-09-2015, 11:58 PM
Was the 2 oz item something they couldn't ship through the mail?

Here is the complete order totaling $66.00 + $15.99 shipping.

Barnes Varmint Grenade Bullets 20 Caliber (204 Diameter) 26 Grain Hollow Point Lead-Free. 250 bullets.

DynaTek Gun Care Kit Bore Coat 1/2 oz 3 Tubes Gun Shield 1/3 oz and 2 Alcohol Wipes

gpidaho
04-10-2015, 12:14 AM
One thing I'll say for Brownell's, if it's not in stock when you order and can't be shipped with your order they pick up the shipping on the backorder when it comes in. I got one of my orders in three different shipments and only paid for the first, Didn't work that way for me with Midway GP

bhn22
04-10-2015, 09:55 AM
Here is the complete order totaling $66.00 + $15.99 shipping.

Barnes Varmint Grenade Bullets 20 Caliber (204 Diameter) 26 Grain Hollow Point Lead-Free. 250 bullets.

DynaTek Gun Care Kit Bore Coat 1/2 oz 3 Tubes Gun Shield 1/3 oz and 2 Alcohol Wipes

It probably had to go UPS Ground because of the chemicals. UPS Ground Service to residential addresses is a bit spendy at times.

Okay, I'm braced. Tell me how stupid I am for saying it.

youngmman
04-10-2015, 10:44 AM
USPS SFRB is about $6.00 and the box of bullets would have been lost in it so why an other ten bucks.

If you are a internet store your labor and parts for shipping should be figured into the price of your mdse.

Midway BRAGGED after completion of an addition to their building "We now have a UPS office built into our place to speed up your delivery" and dollars to donuts they got a reduction on shipping.

NITRO EXPRESS SHIPPING goes within a mile of my home and a mile from the Harvey IL shipping location then past one of their major midwest hubs and after traveling ANOTHER 100 miles rests for a day outside of Milwaukee Wi. before finally coming back to the yard they passed 2 days ago and EVENTUALLY reaching my home.

So much for "EXPRESS".

Midway shipping is $10.59 $5.40 less than Brownell's.
Brownell's now emphasizes UPS with $7.95 shipping on most items but UPS Sucks. The other option is $15.95 for USPS, which is what I use. UPS pisses me off by letting orders sit at nearby locations for an extra day or two because they don't deliver on the weekends. FedX would be a good option too.

Bad Water Bill
04-10-2015, 11:59 AM
FedX would be a good option too.

I visited FED/EX yesterday to mail a box and noticed they now have S-M and Large flat rate boxes "similar" to USPS but that is where the similarity ends.

At FED all boxes are billed by mileage and weight.

IIRC their SFRB box can cost as much as $38.00 to ship a box of lead cross country IF you have the patience to wait just for your change (10 minutes for the lady to get me my $2.75 back).

And this from one of their corporate locations.