PDA

View Full Version : Florida cop shot

bdicki
04-07-2015, 08:06 AM
Cleaning a Glock.
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20150407/ARTICLE/150409789

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
04-07-2015, 08:27 AM
That is so sad. Hopefully they get their protocol straightened out so this does not happen again.

HeavyMetal
04-07-2015, 10:23 AM
A very sad event times Two because the officer that had the AD will deal with this for the rest of his life and may never recover!

Not to Hi jack the thread but we saw a thread here a week or so ago asking which was preffered Glock or 1911.

I posted my thoughts on the Glock, which I dislike with great intensity!

Now the truth is this may have happened with a 1911 as well or any other pistol but Glock's rep for AD's is huge and isn't going to play well for this PD when the family lawyer hits town.

My sympathy for both officers is strong and, hopefully, training protacol will be changed.

Artful
04-07-2015, 10:28 AM
Very Sad - Prayers for Officers and families involved.

1. Treat every firearm as if it's loaded. Even if you're absolutely certain a gun is unloaded, still follow these rules for safe gun handling. You want these rules to be natural habits; holding yourself to them each and every time helps make them so.
2. Never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy. Accept the mindset to always keep your gun pointed in a direction that would safely stop the bullet should it discharge. At an ADTA event, if you're not on the firing line, your gun should stay holstered muzzle-down, cased, or locked open and pointing down and away from people. If you're on the firing line, your gun should stay pointed downrange, at the bullet trap backstop at the end of the range. If you will be cleaning or handling your unloaded gun at home, find a safe direction ahead of time -- bullets penetrate floors, ceiling, windows, and walls. Masonry, a full bookcase, a full freezer, downward (if you're on the ground floor), or even a five gallon bucket of sand may be good options.
3. Always be sure of your target and what is beyond it.You are responsible for the entire path of every bullet you fire from your gun. If you hit your intended target, the bullet may still continue through. ADTA live-fire events are conducted at locations with designated bullet trap backstops or berms to help contain rounds to the intended range area; you are responsible for only aiming in directions where you can be assured the bullet will be safely stopped.
4. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target and ready to fire.At ADTA events, when you're holding a gun but not shooting, you'll hear us ask you to "index" your trigger finger. This means to keep your trigger finger straight, and to raise it up to rest flat alongside the body of your gun. Whenever you are not on target and ready to fire, your trigger finger should always be outside the trigger guard and resting straight and flat alongside the body of your gun.

EMC45
04-07-2015, 10:53 AM

1. Treat every firearm as if it's loaded.

Even if you're absolutely certain a gun is unloaded, still follow these rules for safe gun handling. You want these rules to be natural habits; holding yourself to them each and every time helps make them so.
2. Never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy.

Accept the mindset to always keep your gun pointed in a direction that would safely stop the bullet should it discharge. At an ADTA event, if you're not on the firing line, your gun should stay holstered muzzle-down, cased, or locked open and pointing down and away from people. If you're on the firing line, your gun should stay pointed downrange, at the bullet trap backstop at the end of the range. If you will be cleaning or handling your unloaded gun at home, find a safe direction ahead of time -- bullets penetrate floors, ceiling, windows, and walls. Masonry, a full bookcase, a full freezer, downward (if you're on the ground floor), or even a five gallon bucket of sand may be good options.
3. Always be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

You are responsible for the entire path of every bullet you fire from your gun. If you hit your intended target, the bullet may still continue through. ADTA live-fire events are conducted at locations with designated bullet trap backstops or berms to help contain rounds to the intended range area; you are responsible for only aiming in directions where you can be assured the bullet will be safely stopped.
4. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target and ready to fire.

At ADTA events, when you're holding a gun but not shooting, you'll hear us ask you to "index" your trigger finger. This means to keep your trigger finger straight, and to raise it up to rest flat alongside the body of your gun. Whenever you are not on target and ready to fire, your trigger finger should always be outside the trigger guard and resting straight and flat alongside the body of your gun.

I beat these same 4 rules into my kids and the kids I teach at church. Cooper slimmed the 10 step list down to 4 and they work perfectly. If all are followed "accidents" won't happen.

ph4570
04-07-2015, 11:25 AM
Very unfortunate.

It would be interesting to know who was "training" who.

lefty o
04-07-2015, 11:30 AM
you cant blame the gun for someones stupidity. a glock will not fire itself!

DCP
04-07-2015, 11:41 AM
We had a weapons clearing station to dry fire our pistol for this very reason!!

bdicki
04-07-2015, 01:11 PM
Local news said he was 40 feet away and it was a ricochet.

Moonie
04-07-2015, 01:41 PM
Please note, this was not an AD it was an ND, the trigger was pulled before the chamber was checked, and it was not pointed in a safe direction. The fact that you must pull the trigger of a Glock before you can dissassemble for cleaning is a design defect in my opinion and has been the cause of more than 1 ND.

This is not a condemnation of anyone involved, just a statement of fact. I do feel for both of these officers, the family of the slain and the guilt the other will feel for the rest of his life.

willie_pete
04-07-2015, 02:12 PM
This happened local to me. A group training event ( probably re-quals). One guy went to a cleaning area off the line. Discharge hit a range table and struck officer in arm and into chest. He was wearing armor, but was sideways to bullet travel. Gun was supposedly Glock in .40, but I have not seen that verified anywhere.

wp

w5pv
04-07-2015, 04:29 PM
I have owned one Glock,didn't like it for what ever reason and got rid of it fast.It has been two long for the reason to be remembered I just recall that I didnot like it.But it seems like it had to do with the safety.

John Allen
04-07-2015, 04:34 PM
I do not grasp why this keeps happening. We had a state trooper around here kill his wife the same way. Follow the rules and these things do not happen.

crowbuster
04-07-2015, 05:13 PM
I hate that it happens. I carry a glock and 1911 off and on. Dry fire them both. Im sorry, but when I clear a gun....It's dang well clear, just take the time and do it right. The life you save my be your own.

starmac
04-07-2015, 06:59 PM
Very sad, but it will to happen as long as humans are involved.

Tom_in_AZ
04-07-2015, 07:33 PM
Bottom line: many in law enforcement never shot prior to vein employed in law enforcement. Most agencies do not have the budget for adequate training. Some just are unfamiliar with how dangerous firearms are. It's scary for those of us that need to qualify multiple times a year.

osteodoc08
04-07-2015, 07:38 PM
I have to admit. I was anti-Glock for a long time. I picked up a 10mm and the wife bought me a 357 sig. They've grown on me. I feel bad for the cop, but I've never personally seen a gun go off by itself, but has been known to happen....(Remington's 700 model recall). And even those have reportedly been mucked with.

jonp
04-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Please note, this was not an AD it was an ND, the trigger was pulled before the chamber was checked, and it was not pointed in a safe direction. The fact that you must pull the trigger of a Glock before you can dissassemble for cleaning is a design defect in my opinion and has been the cause of more than 1 ND.

This is not a condemnation of anyone involved, just a statement of fact. I do feel for both of these officers, the family of the slain and the guilt the other will feel for the rest of his life.

This is not a design defect. It is an operator defect.

Tom_in_AZ
04-07-2015, 08:06 PM
This is not a design defect. It is an operator defect.

Operator error, guaranteed that the trigger was pulled.

Bzcraig
04-07-2015, 08:40 PM

1. Treat every firearm as if it's loaded.

Even if you're absolutely certain a gun is unloaded, still follow these rules for safe gun handling. You want these rules to be natural habits; holding yourself to them each and every time helps make them so.
2. Never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy.

Accept the mindset to always keep your gun pointed in a direction that would safely stop the bullet should it discharge. At an ADTA event, if you're not on the firing line, your gun should stay holstered muzzle-down, cased, or locked open and pointing down and away from people. If you're on the firing line, your gun should stay pointed downrange, at the bullet trap backstop at the end of the range. If you will be cleaning or handling your unloaded gun at home, find a safe direction ahead of time -- bullets penetrate floors, ceiling, windows, and walls. Masonry, a full bookcase, a full freezer, downward (if you're on the ground floor), or even a five gallon bucket of sand may be good options.
3. Always be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

You are responsible for the entire path of every bullet you fire from your gun. If you hit your intended target, the bullet may still continue through. ADTA live-fire events are conducted at locations with designated bullet trap backstops or berms to help contain rounds to the intended range area; you are responsible for only aiming in directions where you can be assured the bullet will be safely stopped.
4. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target and ready to fire.

At ADTA events, when you're holding a gun but not shooting, you'll hear us ask you to "index" your trigger finger. This means to keep your trigger finger straight, and to raise it up to rest flat alongside the body of your gun. Whenever you are not on target and ready to fire, your trigger finger should always be outside the trigger guard and resting straight and flat alongside the body of your gun.

This is why it is not accidental discharge (ad) it is negligent discharge