PDA

View Full Version : Will peroxide + vinegar harm aluminum?

igolfat8
04-05-2015, 10:58 PM
Will a 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar harm anodized or plain aluminum? I have lead build up in my anodize aluminum comp and was considering soaking it in the mixture to remove the lead.

scottfire1957
04-05-2015, 11:56 PM
Yes! Vinegar is destructive to aluminum.

Edit to add: research acetic acid and effects on aluminum. Did you ever wonder why they don't serve pickles on airline flights? That's why.

Edit again: I remember reading about this, but it's been several years. Please research before you do it.

willie_pete
04-06-2015, 01:40 PM
Will harm plain Al faster than anodized.

wp

Le Loup Solitaire
04-06-2015, 08:53 PM
Vinegar contains acetic acid and that will attack aluminum and ferrous metals instantly. It will clean rust off of cast iron and if left on too long will corrode it. It has some useful applications but aluminum is not one of them. LLS

blackthorn
04-07-2015, 11:44 AM
This is what information I have collected with respectto vinegar/peroxide as a lead remover. Fora long time I have been collecting information that will be passed on to mysons along with my casting equipment. Most of what appears below has been gatheredfrom this site and/or other sources. Hopeyou find it informative! With use of proper precautions (N) Vinegar/peroxide (mixed 50/50) can beused to remove lead from the bore. Withsome salt or Clorox mixed in (not tobe used in firearms) the mixture is often used to etch steelreproduction items to match original finishes. This mixture will ‘frost’ a clean piece of metal in 30 minutes or lessto provide a finish that equals a hundred and twenty years of rust and wear. While the same mix sans the salt or Clorox when usedas a lead remover is not as corrosive, you still must use extreme caution ifyou intend to use a vinegar/peroxide mix to remove lead from the bore of yourfirearm because it produces per-acetic acid. Per-acetic acid, while commonly used as a sanitizer onsome food processing equipment, is very corrosive to some metals. It is definitely not safe to use on brass orcopper alloys, and will damage both carbon and galvanized steel. When it breaks down it will leave an aceticacid residue on metal surfaces. When weuse this mix to remove leading from the bore of a firearm, in dissolving thelead deposits, it produces lead acetate (N) which is extremely poisonous (N). Hydrogen peroxide raises the lead valence from zero to plus two, so thata minus one from the acidic acid ion initiates a rapid lead ‘rusting’ process,making grey colored lead acetate which is not sticky and therefore bubblesout. It cannot be stressed stronglyenough that this grey liquid is pure (N) poison, so do this well away from areas where foodis (or ever will be) grown, prepared or stored and wear rubber gloves. The mixture can however be used to removeexcessive lead buildup from the bore of your firearm, if you arecareful. The first thing to do is toremove as much of the lead buildup as possible using (approximately) a thirtyinch strand taken from a ‘chore boy/girl’ pot scrubber wrapped round a worn outbore brush. Prior to pouring the mixtureinto the barrel, the barrel must be dry (no oil or other lube). To begin, clean the barrel with Ed’s red or asimilar cleaner of your choice and then use rubbing alcohol on a bore mop orrag to remove any residual oil. Thevinegar/peroxide mixture can be applied using a clean bore mop or it can bepoured in to almost fill the bore as long as the chamber is tightlyplugged. The mixture must not be allowedto come into contact with the exterior finish of the firearm, (either wood or metal)therefore, if you are pouring it in, do not fill the bore to the top as thestuff foams up and it will run over if it is too full. As noted above, this mixture has thepotential to damage the bore so allow a two minute maximum soak for the 50/50vinegar/peroxide mix to work and then wash out the barrel with tap water. Do not use distilled or deionized water. Under some circumstances using distilledwater will create lead (N) bi-acetate or (N) tri-acetate, either of which are deadly (N) poisons, so make sure the water you useis somewhat tainted. To be sure, add aquarter teaspoon of salt per quart of water. Under no circumstances let the barrel filled with the solutionstand for longer than a maximum of fifteen to twenty minutes. Pour out the liquid and remove the chamberplug. Run a bronze brush through severaltimes, followed by four or five patches. Pour some hot soapy water through the barrel and run several wet patchesthrough as you do not want any of the solution to be left in the barrel. Youmay have to repeat the process a number of times depending on the amount ofleading present. Run the chore boythrough again and if the barrel is lead free, rinse with really hot tap water. Use a hair dryer or other heat source to besure the barrel is moisture free and then use a water displacing oil such as WD40.

captaint
04-07-2015, 12:58 PM
I have a S&W mod 41 that has the compensator up front. Mine got really dirty and I posted on the S&W forum for answers on cleaning same. Someone told me they HAD used the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide mix and it worked really well. I tried it and it did work great. Now, the compensator is very well plated/anodized in black. It looks really thick, whatever it is. I let mine soak for a day or two with good results. I do remember you have to use either white vinegar or apple cider vinegar. I'm pretty sure it's white vinegar. Been a while. Someone did tell me this mix is BAD news on steel. Just my experience. Mike

willie_pete
04-07-2015, 02:18 PM
Careful, the black stuff is probably lead acetate; particularly nasty stuff.

And yes, it is aggressive on steel and can pit quickly. I have used it for no more than 10 minutes and have not had a problem. I also neutralize the acid with a dilute baking soda wash afterwards.

wp

Wayne Smith
04-07-2015, 09:19 PM
It's white vinegar, but probably either will work. One thing not mentioned above - Lead Acetate is absorbed through the skin - and easily! This means any contact with the skin will result in some degree of lead poisoning. Frankly, there are better ways to clean lead out of a barrel.

igolfat8
04-08-2015, 09:58 AM
I am trying to clean lead out of a pistol comp, not out of a barrel.

igolfat8
04-08-2015, 03:19 PM
If nothing else can be done, let your melting pot heat it up and give it a dip to remove that lead.

Duh ... never thought of that. Thanks.