PDA

View Full Version : Bob Burns of Lynyrd Skynyrd dies in car crash.

osteodoc08
04-04-2015, 09:12 PM
Not sure if we have any southern rock aficionados but Bob Burns of Lynyrd Skynyrd died from injuries resulting from a single vehicle accident shortly before midnight last night in Bartow County/Cartersville, GA.

http://www.people.com/article/bob-burns-dead-lynyrd-skynyrd-drummer-dies-car-crash?xid=rss-topheadlines

tdoyka
04-05-2015, 01:40 AM
i'm praying for him and his family.

waynem34
04-05-2015, 02:06 AM
He was a good drummer. Wear your seatbelt.

shoot-n-lead
04-05-2015, 02:32 AM
I am a big southern rock fan....and Skynyrd (pre-crash) is my favorite band of all time...spent many an hour listening to them during my teenage years and later...up to the present.

Bob was the original drummer for the band. Best I can recall, he left the band a couple of years before the crash, but he was there when a lot of there best music was produced. At any rate, it is sad that this happened.

yancey
04-05-2015, 09:44 AM
I am a big southern rock fan....and Skynyrd (pre-crash) is my favorite band of all time...spent many an hour listening to them during my teenage years and later...up to the present.

Bob was the original drummer for the band. Best I can recall, he left the band a couple of years before the crash, but he was there when a lot of there best music was produced. At any rate, it is sad that this happened.

Same here, Skynyrd ( pre-crash) is my favorite band of all times also. Skynyrd songs will live on, way past our time.

LUCKYDAWG13
04-05-2015, 09:50 AM
one of my top ten bands of all times

Clay M
04-05-2015, 07:55 PM
Yes they were a fantasic band.. Saw them at the new Years eve 74/75 Artimus Pyle was the drummer then.
I always love the original Allman Brothers band with Duane Allman ,and the original Lynyrd Skynyrd..
I was there .. The first two Allman Bros. and Lynyrd Skynyrd albums were over the to great.
The Allman Bros Live at the Fillmore East set the bar pretty high.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artimus_Pyle

Now we have Joe Bonamassa to carry the torch to the rest of the world for guitarist..
The 70's are over.. It was the decade of the guitar.
I love Jeff Beck.. but for the new players Bonamassa is the man..
I am a guitarist, and I am thankful for guys like Bonassama who can keep the interest alive.
When I am not casting bullets and shooting , then chances are I am playing a guitar.That or working here on the farm..But if you request 'Sweet Home Alabama", I might play Misty instead.Jazz is my real love.

I am also sorry the Burns died in such a tragic way..
Another loss to the great would of music.

rondog
04-05-2015, 08:50 PM
Always been a Skynyrd fan, but I have to admit I'd never heard of Bob Burns until this news. Artimus Pyle was the only drummer I was ever aware of.....

Riverpigusmc
04-05-2015, 08:57 PM
I saw Skynyrd's first tour with Kansas in a little theatre with less than 3000 people...and saw the tour the year before the plane crash. Everything after that was just a cover band. Saw the Allman Brothers many times, starting in 73..met Derek Trucks after a show in Grapevine Texas

Clay M
04-05-2015, 09:08 PM
The Drummer is the metronome of the band..All the greatness will rise are fall according to that..
If I had a really great jazz drummer , then the frontiers would be limitless...Unfortunately I don't
I have a pretty good rock drummer..so my band is a blues,60's R&B band..
I can promise you if the drummer is not great, then there is nothing I can do to help..Just wish I could hide or be somewhere else..

Tim357
04-05-2015, 09:32 PM
Skynyrd has good music, however they have earned my eternal disgust with " Saturday Night Special". They can rot in hell for that one.

jaysouth
04-05-2015, 09:41 PM
The greatest of Southern Rock. Sorry to hear of his death.

For those of you who like "Sweet Home Alabama" here is a hoot of a performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrg0X9H6FGU

Clay M
04-05-2015, 09:44 PM
Skynyrd has good music, however they have earned my eternal disgust with " Saturday Night Special". They can rot in hell for that one.

Many musicians are pretty liberal politically. I happen to be pretty conservative because of where I grew up demographically and how I was raised..

I still listen to the music of Joni Mitchell, and Bob Dylan..Do I agree with them politically,..No.

I don't have to always agree with everything a person has to say to appreciate something they have to say.. Their art or literature.
I have a dear friend coming to visit me for NY later in the week.. I love him like a brother, but we do not agree politically.. and that is OK with me..

If you stop listening to music because the musicians are liberal..then you will not have much left to listen to..

Read For Whom The Bell Toll's by Hemmingway...
or My favorite A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens.

Tim357
04-05-2015, 10:31 PM
Didn't say I quit their music, just expressed my disdain for one of their songs. I realize a lot of musicians are more liberal than me, but it still gets in my craw.

Edit: having said that, they haven't made a dime from me since. I'll listen to most anything on the radio, but I will spend my money elsewhere for tunes.

cajun shooter
04-06-2015, 07:58 AM
Tim 357, Your posting leaves one with the impression that you are very quick to judge a person for one certain act in their lives, that's not a good way to be.
I don't know how you conducted yourself or where you were during the 60's and 70's but I did things and made decisions then that I would not do today. It's called life and each of us go through many stages during that ride.
I'm not a person who goes to church but I'm a very firm believer. I think they have a part in that bible where Jesus is talking to a crowd who had been stoning a woman for her past sins. He picked up a rock and offered it to each person while saying, those without sin may throw the first stone.
I for one could not pick up that stone. Later David

Clay M
04-06-2015, 08:51 AM
I love Clint Eastwood ,and I though American Sniper was brilliant..but Eastwood was a proponent of the Brady Bill..Something I don't agree with.. I am a life member of NRA..
I still love Clint Eastwood and will continue to watch his movies..

Clay M
04-06-2015, 08:14 PM
I am just an old guy..I have tried to study and do the best I can.
I love all people on this earth.I have my own opinions ,but I could be wrong.. I don't have the perspective of other people..
So all I can do is the best I can.I know what I believe ..and stand for that.
I believe in the Constitution. I am here to stand by it...count on it.
"Here I stand ..I can do no other."