PDA

View Full Version : Another cop shooting here

abunaitoo
04-04-2015, 05:47 PM
This is the forth "accidental" discharge, by a cops, here in the last six months.
An off duty cop, in a bar, shoots the lady sitting across the both.
Cops say it was an "accidental" discharge. Pistol was a revolver.
Lady is in critical condition.
Cop was not arrested. They won't say if he was drinking. No names.
25 years on the force.
Be careful of the cops if you vacation in Hawaii.

Bad Water Bill
04-04-2015, 07:14 PM
HMMMMM

I was told only the police there were intelligent enough to be trusted with a handgun?

starmac
04-04-2015, 08:32 PM
Just curious, is it legal for off duty cops to carry in bars there?

starmac
04-04-2015, 08:37 PM
I was at a coffee shop in Austin once reading the morning paper. I read about an off duty cop accidently shooting a guy I knew. The cop that shot him had to borrow a gun from another cop. lol I ran into the guy a couple of weeks later, he was hobbling around on crutches. I asked him how the cop had accidently shot him. He told me , it was no accident, that sucker was mad. lol

Rick Hodges
04-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Just curious, is it legal for off duty cops to carry in bars there?

Don't know about there....but it is here....I am retired and can carry in a bar....just can't if I am intoxicated. Most decent restaurants around here have a liquor license, so they are bars too, if you will. All with permits can carry there also. It isn't so much the place as the condition of the person carrying.

starmac
04-05-2015, 11:21 AM
Makes sense, besides what is the chance of an off duty cop having one too many. lol

abunaitoo
04-06-2015, 12:46 AM
cops here can carry off duty.
BUT there is a rule that they cannot carry if consuming alcohol.
Today they booked the cop. Gave his name on the news.
They said they did a blood test, so he must have been drinking.
It was a cop bar. Lots of other cops there at the time. 2 am in the morning.
Lady who was shot worked there. She didn't want to file charges.
If she did, bar would have lost all the business.
No one but cops go there.
He has 25 years, so he's probably put in for retirement.
How do you "accidentally discharge" a revolver?????
Maybe if it was a old Colt single action, dropped on the hammer with a live round in the chamber.
Just this morning another cop ran over a bicyclist.

cajun shooter
04-06-2015, 07:38 AM
If it was a S&W revolver, and containing all parts like the hammer block, it's impossible for it to discharge unless a finger is pulling the trigger.
To demonstrate what I mean, you may perform this simple test using a primed case only. Bring up the chamber that is loaded with primed case by using the single action cocked method. The loaded chamber should be under the hammer with the revolver in a cocked position. Now take a pencil and tap the trigger with some light force so as to make it fire, don't make a continuous holding of the trigger, just tap it so that it falls into a firing position on the primed round. If done properly, the hammer block will rise and block the hammer and it's firing pin from making contact with the primer of the round.
This is the test that we would perform to test the duty guns and to also demonstrate to the rookies going through training that the gun is designed not to fire even if the hammer is to the rear and the gun dropped. This was shown to me when I attended my first S&W Armorer's School. Later David