PDA

View Full Version : Where to find reliable .44 cal. heavy-for-caliber (310 gr cast) load data

VeeTee
04-04-2015, 12:36 AM
Howdy folks.

I am trying to sock away enough reloading components to cover our hunting and self defense needs until hell freezes over or the free market is restored, whichever happens first.

Specifically, to the maximum extent possible, I'm trying to consolidate, economize, standardize, and SIMPLIFY our reloading needs.

To that end, I'm hoping to clearly state our needs and receive your collective wisdom on how to best meet these.

We have a small country place that is only about 2 miles away from a major Texas river. Between us and the river there are only ranches. Hence we have an abundance of game and nuisance animals. In other words, I can hunt deer and hogs in my back yard. In fact, I could probably hunt deer and hogs from my bed if I chose to. That is what we see out our back door.

However, our FRONT door looks out on a busy highway. Tens of thousands of cars pass within 75 feet of us every single day. If only ONE PERCENT of those cars are carrying bad guys, we are talking a very large number of bad guys.

Indeed, over the years, I've lost count of the creepy people who have "visited us". Some come in the light of day. Others come in the dead of night.

Should we shoot out the back door, it's perhaps 200 - 250 yards to the back of the property. The longest shot I might ever make - corner to corner of the property - might be approximately 500 yards - or within the limits of a .30-06.

What I'm seeking is your collective advice on what powder or powders will give me the "biggest bang for my buck" in either .38/.357, .44 special/.44 magnum, .45ACP and/or (rifle calibers) of .243, .30-30 or .30-06.

The most dangerous thing we will encounter through the front door (although I cannot rule out the BACK DOOR OR A WINDOW) is a man. The most dangerous 4 legged critter is definitely a wild boar.

I think I've correctly figured out that Alliant Unique and Alliant 2400 powders will all but get us where we need to be as they will apparently cover all our needs - although perhaps they are not the best powder for every ballistic need.

And of course we intend to shoot cast boolits - whether store bought or roll our own - for all these needs - including .30-06.

I just bought 100 Oregon Trail 310 grain .44 bullets. I am having difficulty finding any recent reloading recipes for Unique - or even 2400 - that covers these boolits. I've found plenty of people discussing how they load 300+ grain bullets over Unique and have had no problems. However, I think they must be consulting load data that is not currently being published. If it's out there I have been unable to find it.

I've been hunting since I was a little boy and I've always been a natural marksman - although I've never been a shooter just for fun. I've never felt the need to "practice practice practice". Now that I'm old and infirm I'm not nearly as good as I used to be. But as recently as last deer season I've always put the bullet hole where it needed to be.

Anyway, our "go-to" rounds are now .38/.357 for personal defense and .44 magnum for hunting & dangerous critter defense. I usually have a shotgun near to hand. Unique seems to be the perfect powder for all of those - including the .44 - provided that the boolit is 240 - 250 grains. As I said above, I've all but struck out on finding published recipes for .44 magnum loads with 300+ grain hard cast boolits.

So, should I be looking for a third powder? If one and two are Unique and 2400, then I'm wondering about AA#9? I do not envision needing or wanting to push a 300 grain .44 caliber bullet past 1000 fps.

All suggestions as to powders, store-bought boolits, primers, brass, moulds, lead and lead alloys, and/or alternative powders will be eagerly read and greatly appreciated.

Happy Easter to All.

VT

Tatume
04-04-2015, 08:05 AM
Alliant lists a load for 2400 and a 300 grain jacketed bullet. You can substitute your cast bullet. Start at the minimum load and work up, or reduce the maximum load by 10% and work up (this applies to all load data, for all cartridges, for all ...).

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

Since all of your needs will be handily covered by using a 250 grain Keith bullet, you might consider switching. The Alliant guide list loads for this cast bullet with Unique and 2400.

Accurate lists two loads for No. 9 and 300 grain jacketed bullets, as well as one load for No. 9 and a 320 grain cast bullet. This is an excellent powder for the 44 Magnum in high performance loads. Since you are looking for only 1000 fps, it is not the best choice for you. Accurate No. 9 does not work reliably in reduced loads, and 1000 fps is definitely a reduced load. Although the Accurate guide shows about 1000 fps for the beginning loads, starting loads are often unreliable with this powder. It needs high pressure to work well.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/

They also list data for 240 and 275 grain cast bullets with No. 9. You can easily interpolate for the 250 grain Keith, should you decide to switch bullets.

Hodgdon has a long list of data and powders that will suit your 44 Magnum needs. The cast bullet data are for bullets slightly heavier than 310 grains, but it is safe to substitute somewhat lighter bullets in the recipes.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

These are all published data developed by reputable companies. You can also consult your loading manuals.

44man
04-04-2015, 08:50 AM
The thing about the heavy weights is you need to spin them and the .44 is best at about 1300 fps. Mine are 1316 fps.
296 has been the best powder, try 21 gr and a standard primer, I use 21.5 with the Lee 310.
I tried the Unique stuff and if I could get all the boolits in the air at once I would have a usable shotgun! So if you plan on 1000 fps, use a lighter boolit.
The Lee 310 is very, very accurate and has taken many deer for me, you just can't go wrong.
296 is a good powder for the .357 too.
I don't know about 2400 with the heavy boolits, seems to get kind of snippy at the high end. Definitely NOT Unique for them. AA 9 might be too fast too.135826135827 First picture is my heavy, 330 gr boolit at about 1000 fps at 50 yards using Unique. Second is the proper load of 21 gr of 296 and a Fed 150 primer and yes, it is 200 yards. Drop is high with a 75 yard setting. I have taken many deer with this boolit to 100 yards + and there is no pig on earth that will stop it. For the .44, I use water dropped WW's but you might not want that hard for the .357. Cast a soft nose.
Another great boolit for the .44 is the RD 265 gr (Good luck finding a mold now.) with 22 gr of 296, same primer, does 3/4" at 50 and 1-1/4" at 100. The 320 LBT is also a great boolit. I never liked Laser Cast since many were too small. I use .431" to .432 in my Rugers. The 265 at .432" is also great in the S&W 29. Do not go heavier in them.

44man
04-04-2015, 09:19 AM
I am not going lighter in the .44 but you can get too heavy like the silly 405 gr that can't be spun and will keyhole at 50. I found 330 is tops. 300 to 310 is great. I will never use a 240 XTP on deer again but would use the 300 XTP. The 240 opens too fast and is better for the .44 special.
There are those that think a 700 gr is good in the .500 S&W but they are wrong too. No way to speed them to spin.
I have been called crazy but here are three shots, off hand at 100 yards with my 330 gr.135830 3/4" off hand, how can you beat that?
Even though the 240 XTP is the most accurate bullet ever made, it is not right for deer because it needs shot with 24 gr of 296. TOO fast! The 300 gr XTP is as accurate with 20.5 gr of 296 and a Fed 150.

starnbar
04-04-2015, 09:25 AM
As far as 44 loads go everything stated sounds good but if you are dealing with people right up close and personal you might want to use a pump shotgun.

CJR
04-04-2015, 10:04 AM
VeeTee,

From McPherson's ,"Metallic Cartridge Reloading",3rd Ed., pg.75. William Falin (Accurate Arms) developed a load for 325 gr. Lyman #429650 w/ 17 gr. of Accurate No.9 w/CCI 350 primers. Velocity(p.320) is about 1106fps. McPherson's comments on this load,"The long range accuracy these loads deliver is nothing less than astounding".

Loads that I have used, from McPherson, are 20gr. of IMR or Hodgdon 4227 behind a 300-310 LBT LFN with Mag primers for about 1238fps to 1244fps @ 37,700CUP to 36,800 CUP. Excellent accuracy. My standard 250gr. Keith load is 25gr IMR4227 (Lyman accuracy load) w'Mag primers.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

CJR

atr
04-04-2015, 10:08 AM
Nice thread...useful information...I too was looking for loads for my 300 gr .44M
atr

44man
04-04-2015, 10:09 AM
As far as 44 loads go everything stated sounds good but if you are dealing with people right up close and personal you might want to use a pump shotgun.
100% true. Nothing better then a shotgun.
Some time ago the .44 mag proved less affective on humans then the .357, hole poker with not enough energy placed. The .41 was developed to find police could not handle the recoil and the .357 was better. The .41 was not good for hunting until better boolits came out. Too many expanded too fast and were too light. I never wanted one. Many love them but they will never match a .44.

04-04-2015, 10:29 AM
If you settle on your .44 as your go to gun, you have to find a balance between good shooting/handling attributes and terminal performance. Many go for the 300 + grains boolits and have good results with them. I prefer 215 - 240 grain boolits for accuracy, speed, and serious whoop a$$ at the target. Recoil is very manageable and my results have been stunning. Your two legged threats will fold under any of these choices, but penetration might be too great vis-a-vis expansion with the heavy weights. They might be better reserved for the hogs. Man targets would be well handled with the lighter, faster expanding, light weights, and the light weights would afford you a faster follow up shot. All this, of course, is after you run the 12 ga. dry. :)

44man
04-04-2015, 11:06 AM
I never got heavy boolits to shoot if too slow. Astounding does not mean much until you hit at 500 meters, 547 yards. Most show 25 yard groups as super. Why would you ever shoot so close?
1106 fps is a joke.
4227 is not good if the gun gets warm, worst powder ever with gun heat. Only 296 has worked. The 4227's failed at every IHMSA shoot in the .44 but worked in the .357 max. It NEVER goes in my .44's.

CJR
04-04-2015, 03:38 PM
A word of caution to new handloaders about using W296/H110 in 44 Mags. It has been well documented, over the years, that these powders can give erratic and unpredicable pressures in 44 Mags if used at charge weights lower than specified in manuals. The powder manufacturers gave many warnings about using these powders correctly. If used as recommended in manuals the performance is fine. Do a general search on "pressure problems with W296" and read for yourself what has transpired with this powder so you can use it safely.

Ref: Lyman Reloading Manual, 46th Edition, p.186 states the following for Winchester 296 powder ;"The manufacturer cautions against using reduced loads with this powder. A reduction in powder charge from listed weights can cause dangerous pressures."

Best regards,

CJR

44man
04-05-2015, 10:31 AM
A word of caution to new handloaders about using W296/H110 in 44 Mags. It has been well documented, over the years, that these powders can give erratic and unpredicable pressures in 44 Mags if used at charge weights lower than specified in manuals. The powder manufacturers gave many warnings about using these powders correctly. If used as recommended in manuals the performance is fine. Do a general search on "pressure problems with W296" and read for yourself what has transpired with this powder so you can use it safely.

Ref: Lyman Reloading Manual, 46th Edition, p.186 states the following for Winchester 296 powder ;"The manufacturer cautions against using reduced loads with this powder. A reduction in powder charge from listed weights can cause dangerous pressures."

Best regards,

CJR
That is true, do not reduce below starting loads. But the powder does not spike if you go a little over. You can go 100% load density with powder at the base of the boolit. It is my ONLY powder from the .357 to the .500 S&W. Only problem were starting loads in the .454 with the dumb primer. Went to cut down .460 brass and using a LP mag, eliminated all problems. DO NOT download to starting loads in the .454 with the SR mag primer, use max only. You will stick boolits with no ignition.
The .44 with h110 or 296 is at home with a fed 150 primer. Mag primers triple groups. Case is too small for a mag primer. It pushes a boolit out and increases air space before ignition. Same as downloading.
You will hear all kinds of stories but just test yourself. I have not used a mag primer in the .44 for 35 years and won every revolver shoot at IHMSA with 296 and a fed 150 primer. CCI 300 is also good.

Moonie
04-07-2015, 03:45 PM
One of my first go-to spots for loading data that isn't in my manuals is www.handloads.com (http://www.handloads.com)

DougGuy
04-07-2015, 04:03 PM
+1 with the advice AGAINST downloading 296/H110. This powder is meant to work in a higher than 75% load density and is excellent for heavy loads in .44 Magnum, and .45 Colt cartridges.

If you want to get into the 75% ~ 90% power band of either cartridge, 2400 and LilGun both provide very good results. Any slower than 1100 f/s with either of these calibers will not stabilize a heavy boolit well enough to make a decent viable load.

In .45 Colt, with the Lee C452-300-RF boolit seated long in the bottom crimp groove, 22.0gr H110 is a stout maximum load, although some go as far as 23.5gr in a levergun, I DO NOT recommend this much H110 in a Ruger SA revolver. For less than max loads, at the same COA I find 20.5gr LilGun to give great accuracy and run about 1100f/s from the barrel of a short Vaquero. I use 18.0gr 2400 also, and down to 17.0gr works well. WLP primers in Starline brass.

In .44 Magnum with the Lee C430-310-RF seated out long in the bottom crimp groove, 17.0gr 2400 works very well and is very accurate, 1200f/s from a 7 1/2" SBH.

UNIQUE, is NOT a good powder for magnum or near magnum loads in either caliber. AA#9 is an excellent choice in either caliber, and I think it can be downloaded somewhat without the dangers of H110.

44man
04-07-2015, 05:42 PM
Guns are built for function, a .357 is Not a .38 S&W, A .44 mag is NOT a special. A .300 Weatherby is NOT a 30-30. The .45 colt is a great gun but it is NOT an ACP.
The 45-70 was upgraded to the 45-100 and 45-110, so was the 50-70 upgraded so why shoot less then what the gun was designed for?
Yes it irks me when a guy uses 4 gr of Red Dot in an .06. What family of primates are you from?
Guys complain with a 30-30---WHAT? They really do make .22 caliber guns. Tell me you bought a .475 and want 800 fps because it hurts, dang look out from an old cuss!