PDA

View Full Version : Differences in freight prices

starmac
04-03-2015, 11:47 PM
This is crazy, but I have to have a new reach shipped up from seattle for my log trailer.
One of our major freight companies I sometimes haul freight for has a terminal in washington, so I gave them the first shot. The lady quoted me 1160 bucks, I got a quote from another major Alaska shipper today at 163 bucks. I would say that is an unreal difference. If I ever haul any more of their loads, I think I should ask for a substantial raise. lol

I'm thinking the lady might have made a mistake on her figures, and may give them a chance to get right.

aiken
04-04-2015, 12:12 AM
You might want to verify @ frieghtqoute.com, I have used them on LTL loads sometimes with surprising results

starmac
04-04-2015, 03:34 AM
I do not intend to deal with anyone I do not know running Alaska, andd unless it is just a friend that happens to be bringing a load up, much cheaper by barge than truck. I have two friends bringing up loadsone in Mt today and one left Ft Worth today, but could not locate a reach in Mt for them to throw on. Every old log equipment dealer I could get ahold of, said their has not been enough logging in Montana in recent years for them to keep parts in stock anymore.

elk hunter
04-04-2015, 11:33 AM
The eco biggots have nearly shut down logging here in Oregon. I'm sure Montana has her share of them also. We used to have three mills here in the town where I live, not one operating anywhere in my area that I'm aware of now. Yes, Oregon was over cut, in some cases extremely so, but there are enough marketable trees left for a reasonable sustainable cut if it were allowed. Once in a while I see a load of what we called pecker poles go through to who knows where but I haven't seen a real log on a truck in years. Hate to think it but just maybe I've outlived my time.

ryan28
04-04-2015, 07:29 PM
Does it have to come up from the states? BC has logging truck parts, much closer, and your dollar is strong right now.

starmac
04-04-2015, 08:29 PM
Does it have to come up from the states? BC has logging truck parts, much closer, and your dollar is strong right now.

I thought seriously about that, but the way he (and most will be coming through Canada) avoids most of BC.

AkMike
04-04-2015, 08:34 PM
What is it? 8X8 box tube? Order it from Greer.

starmac
04-05-2015, 01:11 AM
They are 9X7, not just plain old box tube. believe it or not they are cheap, to the point I couldn't order the material in and build one myself.

I am not paying for it, the mill has to buy me one, I just didn't feel like rapeing them with the price carlilse give me for shipping.

AkMike
04-06-2015, 01:10 AM
Run cheap and charge high! I guess McDonalds sold out to some big east coast outfit.

Superfly
04-06-2015, 04:08 AM
What is a reach on a log trailer Must be a term thing???

Screwbolts
04-06-2015, 06:53 AM
I believe the reach on a log trailer would be the same meaning, as a reach on a wagon, and that goes back to the original very first man or horse draw items up threw today. A reach is a reach, very simple, ties the forward portion to the tail portion, very simple.

Ken

woody1
04-06-2015, 09:56 AM
What is a reach on a log trailer Must be a term thing???

In non logging terms, the tongue. Regards, Woody

starmac
04-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Yes it would be the toungue. Yours folds up mine is just one piece and straight. Then there is dual stage (2 piece) reaches for even more adjustment.
I am halfway thinking about upgrading to the dual stage, but they are heavier and I really do not need any more weight.

Superfly
04-06-2015, 12:57 PM
We call that the pole length here LOL My trailer can fold up and extend or shorten the total length I believe it is 4 or 6'. I just pull 2 big pins and lock up the trailer breaks and pull the tractor forward to lengthen the trailer IE the distance between the Bunks or back up to shorten the distance.

I will get some Pictures

starmac
04-06-2015, 04:02 PM
Mine does not have any pins to pull, just loosen the stop and slide it any length you want.