PDA

View Full Version : Manhole Covers ?

Johnch
04-03-2015, 08:13 PM
I was over to my Ex boss's place today , as I needed some 3/4" conduit scraps for a project

Even though I am not working ( off on Workmans Comp and SS Disability )
He lets me get scrap for free and or at scrap price and use tools , if not in use by one of the workers

He had a parking lot repaved the last fall , after he cut it to install some new power conduits
Sitting there at the shop is 3 manhole covers
2 are thicker than the last one

They got me thinking
They look like nice gongs for hanging in front of my 200 yard backstop

I didn't take a good look at them
But are they cast iron ?
Also would they stand up to my shooting them with cast out of my 45/70 and 308 ? ( moderate loads )

John

hoosierlogger
04-03-2015, 08:42 PM
Definatley cast iron. You would get one or two good shots at them.

country gent
04-03-2015, 08:52 PM
They were made from both materials cast iron and cast steel if cast steel they might last for a while but distance will also be a factor. 40 yds will be muich harder on them than 500 yds will. Cast iron gives of a very small short spark when touched with a grinder ( almost like a little red ball) cast or forged steel gives off a longer brighter spark ( think comet with short tail). Another is to ring them when hanging free. But thats much harder to describe. The rams we shoot locally are 1/2" plate steel and even at 500 yds if not reversed they get buckled from the big bullets hitting them.

HarryT
04-03-2015, 11:15 PM
Free manhole cover vs Workman's comp? There may be a camera hidden somewhere.

Frank46
04-03-2015, 11:53 PM
Gotta watch out for the made in India el cheapo cast iron manhole covers. Company I used to work for had a bunch of them. junkies used to steal manhole covers and sell them for scrap. Got so bad in certain areas they tack welded the darn things in place. Frank

Taylor
04-04-2015, 06:34 AM
Free manhole cover vs Workman's comp? There may be a camera hidden somewhere.

You got friends right? Supervise the lifting.

gew98
04-04-2015, 08:40 AM
Manhole covers for targets are awesome. I have a cast steel peice hanging 30 foot up and 220 yds out. It's taken quite the pounding...only thing to ever go through it was the 50BMG - so I don't turn the beast on it anymore unless using spotter rounds. I had two thin cast iron jobs and they got shot to bits in short order. I have been trying to get the couple local scrap places to save me one...problem is they are illegal to scrap as they are city/municipal property and can't be scrapped by individuals so they wont take them. When I hit my manhole cover with a HP rifle it sounds like another distant gunshot on impact...loads of fun !.

Johnch
04-04-2015, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the info

Loading them ...LOL that is a job I use the forklift for
Both workmans Comp and SS say I can never work again because of the migrains and the Med's I take for them
I would never pass a drug screen
As I am geven some good pain pills LOL

John

dakotashooter2
04-04-2015, 07:37 PM
Manhole covers for targets are awesome. I have a cast steel peice hanging 30 foot up and 220 yds out. It's taken quite the pounding...only thing to ever go through it was the 50BMG - so I don't turn the beast on it anymore unless using spotter rounds. I had two thin cast iron jobs and they got shot to bits in short order. I have been trying to get the couple local scrap places to save me one...problem is they are illegal to scrap as they are city/municipal property and can't be scrapped by individuals so they wont take them. When I hit my manhole cover with a HP rifle it sounds like another distant gunshot on impact...loads of fun !.

Don't know why they would be illegal to scrap. not ALL manhole covers are city property. Often businesses with large lots are required to provide their own drainage which ties into city drainage. They have to meet the same requirements for access structures (manholes) but they own them. Which is what it sounds like these are.......

gew98
04-04-2015, 08:15 PM
Don't know why they would be illegal to scrap. not ALL manhole covers are city property. Often businesses with large lots are required to provide their own drainage which ties into city drainage. They have to meet the same requirements for access structures (manholes) but they own them. Which is what it sounds like these are.......
You are quite correct as I have worked enough construction to note exactly what you state...butscrap yards simply won't take the chance of being snagged taking them and just flat out refuse to buy them..... as well as some states make it illegal to scrap them unless coming from th emunicipality.. Pretty much the same for railroad track.

MaryB
04-04-2015, 08:16 PM
Work comp is no longer allowed to haunt people with cameras. That was ruled by the courts to be illegal.

Dhammer
04-04-2015, 08:28 PM
Just a heads up, some metal scrappers steal them from the street and sidewalks with zero disregard to people's safety. If I were to be in poession of them, I'd make sure I could prove where I got them. That whole wrong place wrong time thing.
I'm aware of several scrap yards who knew their was a big issue with them being stolen, one stamped with cities name too boot.. They'd still take them and look the other way.

Bad Water Bill
04-04-2015, 09:50 PM
Manhole covers for targets are awesome. I have a cast steel piece hanging 30 foot up and 220 yds out.

I would like to see what support system you used to support a cover 30' up there.[smilie=s:

gew98
04-05-2015, 08:52 AM
I would like to see what support system you used to support a cover 30' up there.[smilie=s:

A big tree No1 . A 12" peice of heavy wall 2" steel pipe. Brackets through bolted in tree with 3/8 threaded rod. A tripled up chain - in case bullets cut some links , and they will. Drilled and tapped 1/2-13 bolts holding a bracket to the top of th emanhole cover's edge. I've only managed to shoot it down once. It's a beast to use the lug all and hoist it up there but well worth the effort.

MarkP
04-05-2015, 09:05 AM
Locally stolen manhole covers were being placed inside of wrecked cars to increase the weight when sold for scrap.

You are quite correct as I have worked enough construction to note exactly what you state...butscrap yards simply won't take the chance of being snagged taking them and just flat out refuse to buy them..... as well as some states make it illegal to scrap them unless coming from th emunicipality.. Pretty much the same for railroad track.

mold maker
04-05-2015, 10:44 AM
Thieves will always find a way. They have all day to dream up how.
Shame they can't spend that time figuring a legal way to earn a living.

Johnch
04-05-2015, 11:38 AM

A former Co Worker told me these are from the Laundry parking lot
I know we had J boxs underground for the pole lights
So I guess they redid the lighting power

I ask my boss , he loaded them into the back of my truck this morning
It cost me a than You

I now have to fab a stand to hold the 3 of them

Not a quick 10 min job , but I have a old I beam that should work

John

bnelson06
04-05-2015, 11:43 AM
I had a cast cover for a gong, it's a lot smaller now and that's just with 223 and 300blk

Hardcast416taylor
04-05-2015, 02:01 PM
At a local on line auction site about 1 month ago there was a 16" long piece of a railroad steel rail up for auction. At the end of the 5 day auction the piece of rail had only risen up to $17.99! A little more than $1 per inch of rail.Robert

Bad Water Bill
04-05-2015, 02:09 PM
Someone be in good shape to move that hunk of track.

Mine is 12" long and weighs close to 100#.

MaryB
04-05-2015, 09:57 PM
Track makes a good anvil...

Bad Water Bill
04-05-2015, 11:21 PM
Over 30 years ago a friend worked at a repair shop .

He said the track was so work hardened he had to use a diamond saw to cut my anvil for me.

Yes it sure does RING.:bigsmyl2:

jmort
04-06-2015, 01:04 AM
"Track makes a good anvil..."

Real good. I have two pieces of train track. Love to look at them and love to use them.

LUBEDUDE
04-06-2015, 08:18 PM
Work comp is no longer allowed to haunt people with cameras. That was ruled by the courts to be illegal.

Correct, but what about the insurance companies? ( I don't know)

Many times private insurance is paying for short term AND long term disability. Or the difference left over after the Gubmint's portion is subtracted from the policy.

MaryB
04-06-2015, 11:46 PM
In a public location they can, they cannot enter your place of employment without permission and they cannot record you on your property without permission. Doing stupid things does not always mean you are not disabled. I lift far more than I should every now and then. Doesn't mean my back has magically healed and doesn't mean I don't pay for it later(popping the pain meds hard today, way overdid yesterday for example). I was shoveling about 600 pounds of corn into garbage cans for summer storage to keep the bugs out. Plus I need the floor space to park the lawn mower for the summer(shed is multi use). Could I do that on a daily basis for work? No way!

LUBEDUDE
04-07-2015, 03:13 PM
I feel your pain! :(

Thanks for the answer!