PDA

View Full Version : Did it again

44man
04-03-2015, 12:58 PM
Had loads to try in my 30-30 but am still waiting for a back order so I get an MTM box. I had loads in a foam box and spilled them all out in my shooting bag so I had no idea what loads I had to test. Had to shoot them up to load again. Stupid is as stupid does.

shoot-n-lead
04-03-2015, 01:13 PM
Done that same thing on several occasions.

Blackwater
04-03-2015, 01:14 PM
Welcome to the club, 44man! These "Golden Years" ought'a be called the "Challenging Years" instead. I've learned to keep some sizable rubber bands available so I can "lock" those tops closed, at least for normal handling, which must include a little fumbling now and then. Give it a try. Experience is always the best teacher, if we'll just learn from it. It took several sessions before I finally asked myself what I could do to eliminate the problem. As the old saying goes, "too soon old, too late smart!"[smilie=l:

s mac
04-03-2015, 01:16 PM
I have made a note on the case with magic marker a few times, easy to tell then.

blpenn66502
04-03-2015, 01:20 PM
+1 for marking with a magic marker.

parson48
04-03-2015, 01:22 PM
If I don't have a lot of rounds I sometimes will use a small ziploc bag marking load info with a magic marker.

Dusty Bannister
04-03-2015, 02:33 PM
Zip lock snack bags, or old business envelopes. Sometimes just fold up a sheet of paper with the data printed on it and put the rounds in the pocket it forms and tape shut. Recycle, repurpose, reuse..... Dusty

Thumbcocker
04-03-2015, 02:52 PM
I have had mystery loads shoot really well. I would then have to take the last one home and break it down to figure out what it was loaded with.

high standard 40
04-03-2015, 03:15 PM
I use Sharpies in different colors and put a dab on the primer only. Then note what the colors represent on paper. I can then note the test results on the paper alongside the load info.

sigep1764
04-03-2015, 05:37 PM
I put my 9mm loads in the paper rolls banks use for rolls of quarters, tape thends shut, and label with a magic marker. You can squeeze five rounds in there.

downwind
04-03-2015, 10:54 PM
Also use different color sharpies-- been there done that!

Bodean98
04-03-2015, 11:02 PM
Done it a hundred times also. I don't think age has a lot to do with it. I use the sharpies also. Make a mark on the case and have it correspond to a load that is written down on paper. I just have to make sure I don't loose the paper now!

Bzcraig
04-04-2015, 12:40 AM
If that's the worst you've done you're way ahead of the curve!

Doggonekid
04-04-2015, 01:12 AM
That's too bad. I'm sure that it makes a bad day at the range. Come to think about it, I think a bad day at the range still beats a really good not at the range. MTM boxes are still better than rubber bands, ziplock baggies and filling up different pockets.

dragonrider
04-04-2015, 01:30 AM
Did that once, now I write the load on the case with a black marker.

44man
04-04-2015, 11:21 AM
I usually do mark but did not figure on spilling the box. I had tape on the sides, marked. I did take a clay at 100 and a tiny piece of a clay at 50 but don't know if it was 4895 or 3031. Just banged them all away to load again.

Bored1
04-04-2015, 11:36 AM
Something I picked up from a frugal friend, use sandwich ziplock bags if you don't have any boxes. Write the load data on a scrap of paper and toss it in the bag. You'll get weird looks at the range when pulling ammo out of baggies but who cares. Had a guy ask me "What the hell are you doing?" to which I replied, "Uhh, shooting." "You can't do that, that's unsafe!!!" he replied. "Hey, I found em that way, blame the guy that left em!" was my reply. HHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA. Took everything I had not to bust out laughing as I said it. But he quickly retreated back to where ever it was he came from so Goal Accomplished!!!

44man
04-04-2015, 11:44 AM
Bags work super but i was stupid.

Bored1
04-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Na. I don't think so. Accidents happen.

I just attempt to make things as easy for me as possible, I can be awfully clumsy and easily distracted so I have to plan accordingly LOL.

mdi
04-04-2015, 11:50 AM
A brain fart cannot be called an act of stupidity (or at least I hope to God so!). BTDT...

mold maker
04-04-2015, 06:26 PM
Sharpie dot on primer, and note written with same color. That problem solved... Now back to the house to get the gun????????

texaswoodworker
04-04-2015, 07:02 PM
I just carry them loose and make multiple trips. Of course, It's only 10 steps from the reloading bench to the shooting bench, so I guess that makes a difference...

I like the MTM and the Midsouth Shooters Supply boxes for storage.

dakotashooter2
04-04-2015, 07:49 PM
I use Sharpies in different colors and put a dab on the primer only. Then note what the colors represent on paper. I can then note the test results on the paper alongside the load info.

This plus the powder weight on one of each case (in case the paper gets lost or blows away)....

Blanket
04-04-2015, 08:06 PM
I just carry them loose and make multiple trips. Of course, It's only 10 steps from the reloading bench to the shooting bench, so I guess that makes a difference...

I like the MTM and the Midsouth Shooters Supply boxes for storage. I too only have a short walk to the bench and like the hard green MTM 50rd boxes. Once the load is figured out for that gun I load in bulk and store in industrial grade ziplocks. I add a card with what gun, all load data and chrono information

Bullwolf
04-04-2015, 10:12 PM
I used to apply colored nail polish around the primers to help differentiate load workups, or else write carefully on the brass with a black permanent marker.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?250477-permanent-marker-for-brass

Now I use colored sharpies and a small paper legend instead, rather than trying to write really small on the brass, with a fine tip black permanent marker.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=135917&d=1428199077

I forgot who originally posted the image, but it's what converted me to using colored pens on the primers, and a paper legend for what the marks mean.
(Works well with cartridges in Ziploc bags too)

The best part is that there were already a few different colored sharpie pens laying around the house that I was able to "appropriate" just for this, so I didn't have to go out and buy anything new.

http://theofficepanda.com/wp-content/uploads/img/SharpieFinePointPermanentMarkers5ColoredMarkers306 53PPg1L.jpg

- Bullwolf

TXGunNut
04-05-2015, 01:12 AM
I assign a load number to each load in my notebook, for example my 32WS load using XX grs of LVR powder and an Accurate 323-170A is load #11. XX.5 grs of the same powder under the same boolit is #11A. I write the load # on each cartridge with a Sharpie and when I get to the range I write it on the target with a Sharpie as well. I'll be testing 32WS loads 11 and 11A, 35 Whelen load #12 and 38-55 load 2 and 2B next trip out. I log all my loads and variations in my notebook along with load notes and casting notes for each cartridge I load. Been keeping this notebook for years, wish I'd started sooner.

Lloyd Smale
04-05-2015, 07:32 AM
been there done that!
Had loads to try in my 30-30 but am still waiting for a back order so I get an MTM box. I had loads in a foam box and spilled them all out in my shooting bag so I had no idea what loads I had to test. Had to shoot them up to load again. Stupid is as stupid does.

44man
04-05-2015, 08:26 AM
I like the sharpie thing best. Have to go buy some.

tward
04-05-2015, 11:23 AM
I've never spilled my ammo in my shooting bag, too neat. I dump mine on the cellar floor and crawl around looking under stuff for the rounds! Much more fun! I also use sharpies to mark my primers only I do x o and dots. Tim:bigsmyl2:

Bullwolf
04-05-2015, 10:07 PM
I also use sharpies to mark my primers only I do x o and dots. Tim:bigsmyl2:

I used to the do the X's, O's, ■'s,▲'s, and dots on primers thing as well. So I could identify test loads on cases that I was working up. It was a pain to keep track of.

I like color coding the primers better. I think it looks nicer, and it's much easier for me to record my results in my log book. I also don't have to keep coming up with new letters, or geometric shape combinations for each different charge. I just use a different colored pen now.

- Bullwolf

MostlyLeverGuns
04-05-2015, 10:12 PM
Different color Sharpies on the primer, plus a reference of the color to the load, even single line, crossed lines and multi-color. Red, blue, green and black easiest to see, but there are a lot of other colors.