PDA

View Full Version : Sizing Question

Theditchman
04-03-2015, 11:20 AM
I need to size a few boolits for my muzzy..I have the sizing die but no sizer/lube press...I am trying not to buy one if I can do this other ways..I dont need the luber as I use my own lubed wads..anyone have any ideas??...cheers

dondiego
04-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Is it a LEE sizer or RCBS or Lyman?

MarkP
04-03-2015, 11:41 AM
I have made size dies from 7/8-14 x 2-1/2" bolts. Chuck them in a lathe drill hole that is close to size (or bore with boring bar) drill a counter bore 1/16" larger or so, leave 1/2" or so of the bore that is close to size. Next polish turn bolt around and re-chuck, polish in a lead angle and polish to final size. I have found using pin gauges to determine final size to be the easiest method.

I leave the bolt's hex head on most of the dies I have made. This may change depending on chuck jaws.

Sometimes you can use loading dies, seater dies, depending on thru hole and desired size.

mooman76
04-03-2015, 12:41 PM
If yours is a push threw type sizer you can get a cheap new or even used press. The push threw don't lube and you can lube it just to get threw the press without galling with about any lube, lightly lubing the bullet. Case lube like One Shot comes to mind.

johnson1942
04-03-2015, 01:37 PM
if your talking about the sizer i sent you it just screws into a cheap loadeing press. put a washer over the bottom and a wood dowel cut square that fits just under the bullet and push it through with a down stroke of the handle. might help to put some case lube on the bullet. use two wraps of number nine all wood fiber paper to wrap the bullet. if your talking about the grease groove bullet they dont have to be sized. just finger lube those bullets and insert them nose first in the starter. also dont use any lead harder than 30 to 1 for that gun. pure lead would be best.

Theditchman
04-03-2015, 02:24 PM
I dont have a reloading press.. but i will pick one up .and yes it was for that resizing die you sent me...I always use pure lead for my boolits..thanks Rodger

johnson1942
04-03-2015, 04:53 PM
get a cheap one and as i said just screw the die into the top with the entrance down. use some case lube on the bullet and a square cut dowel on a washer. could even screw a washer to the base of the dowel with a sheet metal screw. i also forgot to say last time, buy some 60 thousand thick wads at .451 diam from buffalo arms or track of the wolf on the internet and use a wad between the base of the bullet and the powder. also bolt the reloading press onto a work bench so it is secure when you use it. if you dont have a work bench get a stout piece of plywood and bolt the press to that. i have three presses, one is portable on a stout piece of plywood. wrap the bullet after sizeing and no need to size again. dont use lube on the paper when wrapped.