PDA

View Full Version : Best dual purpose firearm?

Thumbcocker
04-03-2015, 10:03 AM
Most of us here probably have a few firearms of our favorite type. Some of us like to have a firearm for different scenarios like a 7.5" .44 for hunting and a 4 5/8" .44 for woods bumming etc. However not all folks starting out in our hobby have the luxury of guns for specific niches.

After decades of reading gun articles and internet inquires it seems that many new shooters have two primary concerns about their choice for a firearm. Gun fighting and bear defense. In an effort to help those folks get the most for their dollar I think that, as a service to our community, we should provide guidance on the best compromise for theses folks.

Having never been in a gun fight or defended myself from a bear attack, I lack the necessary experience to provide advice in these areas. I have noted however, that animals seem to be getting smarter these days and gun sales are at record levels. There is also the animal rights movement to consider. I think it is only a matter of time until the unthinkable become reality.

With that in mind I would like the input from the membership on the best firearm to use in gun fight with a bear. My first thought was an Asperly Aimless but the rarity of these exquisite arms puts them out of reach for the average new shooter. Of course any of you who have ever been in a gunfight with a bear could provide invaluable experience in this area and probably save lives.

garym1a2
04-03-2015, 10:16 AM
Marlin in 35 rem, 45-70 or .444.
12AWG with slugs. 3 inch.

Outpost75
04-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Two high school classmates of mine have lived their entire adult lives in Alaska, working in bear country with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers or with the Indian Health Service of USPHS. Their agencies DO NOT take handguns for bear defense, but recommend a 12-ga. pump shotgun. If you carefully research the records of bear-human confrontations for as long as they have been keeping records, the most effective weapon in cases where the outcome was favorable to the human survivor has been the pump action 12-ga. Most of the time loaded with 00 buckshot.

NO HANDGUN IS ADEQUATE FOR A HOT BREATH CONFRONTATION WITH A LARGE BEAR!

My buddy Dave put it this way, "A short-barreled .44 Magnum firing full up loads has about the same energy and penetration as Grandma's .44-40 Winchester carbine she keeps by the kitchen door. But she doesn't use it for bears, she has a 12-ga. pump too."

Here is what the Alaska DNR recommends:

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/safety/bears.htm
Protection

Most people who hike in Alaska's wilderness don't carry a weapon. They know that the best defense is common sense. Traveling and camping carefully are all that they need. If you feel the need for additional protection, consider carrying "pepper spray", a bear deterrent made from the juice of red-hot peppers. This incapacitating spray teaches bears a lesson without permanently maiming them. It's available at local sporting goods stores and at visitor centers. Be familiar with the characteristics of the brand you choose and its warnings.

You are allowed to carry a gun for protection in state parks. Remember, though, that more people are hurt by the guns they carry than are hurt by bears. Select a gun that will stop a bear (12-gauge shotgun or .300 mag rifle) and practice firing it at a rifle range. Any bear shot in self defense must be salvaged and turned over to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.

Click here for the Alaska Department of Fish and Games'
"The Essentials for Traveling in Bear Country". (http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=livingwithbears.bearcountry)

lefty o
04-03-2015, 11:09 AM
depends on what kind of bear. what one needs for the avg black bear is a world of difference from what one would want to have handy in case he ticked off momma brown bear!

ole 5 hole group
04-03-2015, 11:39 AM
Well, I think the vast majority of current & future firearm owners who think about bear defense, do so in their dreams. Very few ever see a "wild" bear let alone have one charge them. I've been around black bears for at least half of my life - when I do happen to see one, they move off very quickly - when I do "sneak" up on one, I scare hell out of them and it usually gets my attention too. I've only seen one grey wolf in the wild, a couple mountain lions and they wanted nothing to do with me and I was just grateful to have seen them, as I see a lot of tracks but no hair. The greatest danger out there are those mosquitoes who can stand flat footed and mate a turkey, the no-seeums, black flies and everything else out there that wants a quart of your blood.

When camping in bear country, where you have a few "camp bears" around - you either put up a well grounded bear fence or you take a chance on coming back to a tore up camp site, which will ruin your entire trip - won't happen often, but just once is too many for the price of a bear fence.

The one firearm of choice when packing in bear country and when in a target rich environment of 2-legged predators - now that would be a 1911 in 45 ACP loaded with either heavy cast or 230 grain bonded rounds. Of course there are a couple zillion other firearms that will suit others better but the 1911 can always be counted on to do its part if you can keep it together and do your part.

starmac
04-03-2015, 11:44 AM
I know a lot of folks that carry a 12 gauge for bear protection, but exactly zero that uses buckshot. I do know of some that staggers between buck and slugs.
As far as most people hiking in Alaska not being armed, maybe guided tourists, whose guide is armed.
The reason folks carry a handgun (44 minimum) Is because people have a tendancy to not ALWAYS have a shotgun or rifle in their hands especially around camp. I do not do much hiking myself, but do tool around on atvs and am always armed, and most folks that I see are also.
All that said most folks could get by with a water gun 99.99% percent of the time, it is that instant that a watergun won't do that we read about several times a year.

lbaize3
04-03-2015, 11:47 AM
Let's see... A gun for a gun fight with a bear? I reckon a 454 or a 480 would do the trick, unless that rascal was wearing body armour. Then I would have to opt for a double barrel recoiless rifle.

Artful
04-03-2015, 11:47 AM
12 ga - only way in my mind for bear
- I use a pump myself - Remington 870
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/Remington8703gunshotty_zpsb267d37e.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rowdyfisk/media/Remington8703gunshotty_zpsb267d37e.jpg.html)
but I know people under stress or new to pumps that short stroke them (not good)
so I might suggest an auto loader - yes it's heavier than a pistol but as the saying goes
a pistol is there to get you to your long gun.

Benelli M4 Super 90 (US Military version M1014)
http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/130208/Benelli_m4_2.jpg
http://www.benelliusa.com/sites/default/files/styles/firearm_1004/public/originals/product-firearms/m4-tactical-shotgun-pistol-12-gauge.png?itok=wGrmtZ65

or AK system
http://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Tromix_Saiga-12ga_S02_Shotgun_1.jpg

maybe one of the newer bullpup's but I'd have to try one first
http://ll-media.tmz.com/2013/08/22/0822-george-zimmerman-ksg-1.jpg
http://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Kushnapup_Bullpup_Saiga-12_Shotgun_Stock_System_1.jpg

AA-12 or similar
http://images.gizmag.com/hero/aa-12-combat-shotgun-frag-12-automatic.jpg

badbob454
04-03-2015, 12:08 PM
10 mm glock with 6''barrel 200 gr boolit at a max load @1200fps and 15 followup shots

2wheelDuke
04-03-2015, 12:28 PM
10 mm glock with 6''barrel 200 gr boolit at a max load @1200fps and 15 followup shots

Based on the thread title, I was thinking it would be bear defense and general defense or something. A 10mm is high on my list for a multi-purpose gun. It might be a bit light for grizzlies, but it's got to be one of the better all around calibers. You can run 200gr wfn for penetration on dangerous game, then easily switch to lighter JHPs for social work.

Thumbcocker
04-03-2015, 12:32 PM
After my original post I did some further research. My quest took me to some dark and shadowy places in cyberspace. Eventually I was able to make contact with a certified expert in this area. His credentials were impressive. He has had a subscription to Soldier of Fortune since age 12. He has played every Halo game extant, read every Tom Clancy novel, won medals in every installment of Call of Duty, he will be getting a polymer framed firearm when he is old enough. He has established and AO (area of operations) that includes the local mall. He is a frequent paint baller (except when his asthma is acting up or his Mom need help around the house). He has gone by screen names such as Exseal 1999, Spatznatz 1999, Samarininja 1999, tacticalsniper1999, and a host of others. For purposes of operational security he asks that I refer to him as Melvin.

Melvin acknowledges that he has never had a firefight with a bear but he is a decorated veteran of countless virtual battles large and small. Melvin's advice is be aware of your surroundings at all times; it is just a matter of time until milspec weapons fall into the wrong hands or paws as the case may be. Melvin recommends something on the AR or Ak platform as your primary weapon since belt fed crew served is not a practical option. He also suggests a primary sidearm with quick change magazines being a mandatory feature. Melvin advises not to neglect edged weapons. Sometimes it comes down to cold steel to carry the day.

Melvin did further research and added a few more pointers. While courageous, most bears lack tactical sophistication. Exploit this weakness. He recommends always having a partner in the woods. The idea being to fix the bear in place with a volume of fire and then execute plan bravo alpha Zulu on the bear. Melvin sagely suggested that any pause in fire from the bear's position should be capitalized on. "Lack of thumbs make mag changes really tough for bears." Melvin added. I asked Melvin if it would be fair to assault the position of an essentially unarmed bear. His reply "There ain't no rules in a gunfight with a bear."

I asked Melvin for pointers about training for these dark times. Melvin got serious swigged his Mountain Dew and provided the following advice. Don't waste time at the range, that is expensive and time consuming, plus you need a gun. Melvin emphasized the importance of virtual combat as often as possible and proudly showed me his virtual sharpshooters badge and virtual small unit tactics certificate. Melvin also added that marksmanship is an outdated concept. Volume of fire is what will get you through.

As I stated I don't feel that I have the qualifications to comment on gunfighting bears. Thank goodness I found Melvin.

BNE
04-03-2015, 12:41 PM
Thank you for finding Melvin. He just saved me against all virtual bears.

lbaize3
04-03-2015, 01:42 PM
Thumbcocker, could you loan me Melvin's email address. I want to get his take on a probable anaconda uprising down south... Heard the rascals can hold a firearm in their mouth and manipulate the trigger with their tongues. Pretty good shots, too, according to the surviviors...

montana_charlie
04-03-2015, 01:55 PM
I would like the input from the membership on the best firearm to use in gun fight with a bear.
The guys I've met who seem most knowledgeable about bears all seem to say that rifles rule.
There seems to be considerable consensus that no handgun is adequate to save your hide, but it gives you the courage to go hiking and fishing.

One old guy did have a tip for those who are determined to hang their hopes on a handgun, and that was to carry one with no front sight.
He said that smooth muzzle wouldn't hurt so bad when the bear shoves it where the sun don't shine.

pworley1
04-03-2015, 02:18 PM
If I could only have one gun, I would have to go with the 12 ga pump.

DougGuy
04-03-2015, 02:21 PM
I reckon my heavily loaded .45 Colt Ruger birdshead will have to do me if I didn't have that I would find me a LAR Grizzly in .45 Win Mag.

jonp
04-03-2015, 02:35 PM
Thumbcocker, could you loan me Melvin's email address. I want to get his take on a probable anaconda uprising down south... Heard the rascals can hold a firearm in their mouth and manipulate the trigger with their tongues. Pretty good shots, too, according to the surviviors...

Good to see Gecko45 has resurfaced. http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

Multigunner
04-03-2015, 02:37 PM
Whatever firearm you decide on I suggest you look up photos of bear skulls and read up on the few vulnerable spots where a bullet will do the most good.
The Black Bear for example has a very narrow almond shaped brain case set very low in the head. A straight front to back bullet through the eye socket is unlikely to impact the brain of a Black bear. Best way to reach the brain is through the huge nasal cavity or the open mouth.
While large Black bear aren't so common these days an occasional 500-600 pounder will show up now and then. A bear that big can soak up a lot of fire power if its not well placed.

A friend just received a .50 Desert eagle he ordered awhile back. He asked if I'd go shooting with him to try it out. Sounds like as much gun as I'd want to use with one hand.

jonp
04-03-2015, 02:45 PM
I've always been under the impression that the best gun to have in a confrontation is the one that your willing to carry everyday. Most people will not tote around a 12g in any configuration all the time before setting it down against a tree, leaving it in the truck because he is "only going over there a bit" or something. A 12g is probably the best weapon to have outside of a LAW but a handgun would be a more reasonable option.

Realizing that I have no experience in a bear confrontation take the following for what it is worth. When you are dealing with something intent on eating you then there is no such thing as "too much gun". Another way to put it is that bigger is always better. A Ruger 454 Alaskan is not too much gun in my opinion. You can always practice with 45 Colt. If that is too much then a 45 Colt up loaded would be an option. I'd stay away from a SW 500 as the recoil is quite a bit for some to handle and the guns are large.

doc1876
04-03-2015, 02:54 PM
many years ago when I first started shooting I had a Gunsmith that claimed you only needed one rifle the 600 Nitro Express. if you wanted to hunt squirrels you shot the base of the tree all of the squirrels fell out anything else shoot them anywhere never any fear of reprisal. I miss my conversations with him.

Moonie
04-03-2015, 03:12 PM
tri-ball 12 guage loads come to mind, depending on the bear species.

jmort
04-03-2015, 03:56 PM
Never a bad choice. OO Buckshot goes around 9" in wet news paper. Tri-Ball goes around 27" so that should put it all in perspective. Around 1000 grains of serious medicine. It will smoke.any animal on earth.

scarry scarney
04-03-2015, 04:39 PM
Now I know Marvin provided some good reasoning, but I always heard for Bear country, bring a "friend" and a 22 revolver. When attacked by the bear, you shoot the "friend" in the knee cap and run.....[smilie=w:

Idaho Mule
04-03-2015, 07:21 PM
I always love these "bear fightin'" stories. JW

35remington
04-03-2015, 09:42 PM
A gunfight with a bear means the bear has a gun too, guys. This thread was intended to be about as whimsical a topic as whimsical can get.

Unless the gun designer had bear ergonomics in mind like oversize trigger guards, grips that don't require opposable thumbs and stocks that fit bear anatomy, I'm guessing a bear trying to get in a gunfight (remember the first rule of a gunfight is HAVE A GUN) would actually lower his odds of prevailing over that of, say, just running you down and mauling you to death.

When they start marketing "Grizzly Bear Tactical Gear for the Plus Sized Warrior" then you better start to worry. If the bear tries to stick with shooting at me with human shaped guns and forgets about his fangs and claws I'm pretty sure I'll come out on top.

I hear they have bad eyesight so if said gunfight erupts I think I'll go with an M14 for the combination of power and capacity and keep my distance as the fight develops so I just stay an indistinct blur. Bears can't hit what bears can't see especially if bears can't fit their paws in those dinky little trigger guards.

waarp8nt
04-03-2015, 10:50 PM
Per Melvin's authority and obvious lack of real world shooting skills, any recommendations on shots fired per bears killed?

DCM
04-04-2015, 12:35 AM
12 or 20 GA multipurpose firearm.
Birds, deer, bear, small game, 2 legged vermin, 4 legged vermin ...

sthwestvictoria
04-04-2015, 04:39 AM
Coming from Australia I believe the problem is with your crazed founding fathers who inserted the 2nd Amendment about the right to arm bears.

BruceB
04-04-2015, 05:09 AM
I hear they have bad eyesight so if said gunfight erupts I think I'll go with an M14 for the combination of power and capacity and keep my distance as the fight develops so I just stay an indistinct blur.

Interesting, and co-incidental, that the choice should fall on the M14.

In the early '90s I managed a trophy caribou camp for two seasons, while on strike at my regular gold-mining job.

We had a continual problem with Barren-Ground grizzlies coming into camp after the caribou meat, and the defense fell to ME since everyone else was very busy indeed. This boiled-down to all-night guard duty, waiting for the bears to come in. No trouble staying awake!!!

I had a pair of TRW-built M14 rifles, so I set one up with a light and modified front sight for night shooting, and the other was left as-is for daylight work. On the "night rifle", the light was adjusted so that bullets struck in the middle of the beam at fifty yards. It worked very well with 180-grain Nosler Partition handloads, and the loads were extremely effective on the bears at that close range.

I surely do regret having to leave those M14s in Canada when I moved to the USA.

On the thread subject, I've had enough experience with RIFLES on bears of almost all types, to say that my bear gun will be a RIFLE. I have zero experience with a shotgun on big animals, and I'll just stick with things that I KNOW will work..... but that's just me.

jonp
04-04-2015, 07:02 AM
Coming from Australia I believe the problem is with your crazed founding fathers who inserted the 2nd Amendment about the right to arm bears.

I always thought that was a little odd myself but then again back then most of North America was wilderness.

wch
04-04-2015, 07:06 AM
There's no doubt in my mind that the 12 gauge pump action shotgun is the answer to the question.

Lloyd Smale
04-04-2015, 08:08 AM
yup a 12 guage slug gun. It can shoot slugs buckshot, birdshot, rock salt, nuts and bolts ect:bigsmyl2:
I know a lot of folks that carry a 12 gauge for bear protection, but exactly zero that uses buckshot. I do know of some that staggers between buck and slugs.
As far as most people hiking in Alaska not being armed, maybe guided tourists, whose guide is armed.
The reason folks carry a handgun (44 minimum) Is because people have a tendancy to not ALWAYS have a shotgun or rifle in their hands especially around camp. I do not do much hiking myself, but do tool around on atvs and am always armed, and most folks that I see are also.
All that said most folks could get by with a water gun 99.99% percent of the time, it is that instant that a watergun won't do that we read about several times a year.

Beerd
04-04-2015, 10:00 AM
sometimes even when the print isn't so fine we fail to read it all.

montana_charlie
04-04-2015, 11:50 AM
I might be able to live with that but I can't bring myself to keep any.

CM

Blacksmith
04-04-2015, 09:50 PM

Actually you got that a little backwards it says "... the right to bare arms..." means we don't need sleeves.

EDK
04-04-2015, 10:19 PM
I'll admit to offering hypothetical advice based on what others have brought up.

A handgun is a poor third to rifle or shotgun, BUT it is with you when the others are just out of reach.

Alaska conservation people allegedly take a dim view of killing a bear at anything beyond contact distance. 50 yards with a rifle means you've got a lot of explaining to do.

Lots of power, but not a lot of ammo in the tube of your shotgun. Kind of heavy and bulky to be with you at all times.

I like double action revolvers, in calibers that start with "4," and with a 4 or 5 inch barrel so it will be on my person at all times. Come to think of it, it isn't a bad idea after I finally get a CCW permit.

osteodoc08
04-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Semi Auto- 10mm of your choosing

Revolver- 44Mag of your choosing, preferably DA. 45 Colt as an honorable mention but only at Ruger Only Loadings

Shotgun- 12 gauge of your choosing

Rifle- 338 Win Mag + of your choosing

Lever- 45/70 + of your choosing

MBTcustom
04-05-2015, 02:21 PM
I have spent the better part of my life searching for the most effective and versatile firearms in the world. I build and customize hundreds of firearms for gentlemen who are searching for the same thing. As such I feel I have the benefit of much more than my own personal opinion.
All my experience points to just one rifle as being the most versatile, and carrying the most power of persuasion for any creature in the world that could cause harm to life or limb. That rifle is the M1A Scout and I own one. It is a tool designed for a purpose, and it fulfills that purpose almost too well.

For handguns, a 44 magnum with a 5" barrel or longer fits the bill perfectly. At this time, I am working to pay off a SS Ruger Redhawk, and I must say it fits the bill with the same style and rugged dependability that the M1A does.

Both firearms are backed by an impressive factory warranty. Both are nearly indestructible. Both are more accurate and powerful than is likely needed.
For me, these two are all I need, and if you are looking for recommendations, I heartily stamp my approval on these two firearms as being nearly the best in the world when the going gets rough.
Just my opinion.

leebuilder
04-05-2015, 02:39 PM
12ga all the way, ammo is easily obtained and in a pinch bird shot can converted to an effective slug.
Any where in the world everyone understands cha, clang, smack. ( sound of a pumpaction being cycled manually)

JSnover
04-05-2015, 06:43 PM
...not all folks starting out in our hobby have the luxury of guns for specific niches.

After decades of reading gun articles and internet inquires it seems that many new shooters have two primary concerns about their choice for a firearm. Gun fighting and bear defense.

With that in mind I would like the input from the membership on the best firearm to use in gun fight with a bear.

I'm with the 12ga folks, if I could only have one gun. It may not be the best for defense (against humans, I assume) or the best for bears but it does well enough for both and within 100 yards it will take care of anything else that needs to be shot.

Wayne Smith
04-05-2015, 07:20 PM
Since I've never met a bear with a gun... er, I mean, I've never met a bear carrying a gun ... ah, hell, I've always had a gun when I saw a bear out of the car. Course, if you let a bear in the car you are stupid and deserve what you get, gun or no!

LUCKYDAWG13
04-05-2015, 07:54 PM
With that in mind I would like the input from the membership on the best firearm to use in gun fight with a bear.

I'm in the 12ga 870 camp 2 or 4 legs

scarry scarney
04-05-2015, 11:52 PM
Honestly, if not a 22lr (see previous post) then either a 12ga pump or a 4" 500 S&W with hard cast slugs. But personally I don't ever want to find out first hand.

Three44s
04-06-2015, 12:16 AM
What I want to know is "Who let the bears start arming themselves?"

For "armed bears" ........ I'd want my HK-91

For unarmed bears, I'd likely have my SRH in .480 Ruger or my Smith MG in .44 mag. and if I was lucky a Marlin in .45-70 ..... which I don't own one yet .......

So as a fall back, I'd have to opt for my waffle top in .35 Rem.

............. armed bears ......... what's the world coming to?

Three 44s

dakotashooter2
04-06-2015, 02:43 PM

Depends on what gun the bear is using.................................

Smoke4320
04-06-2015, 03:02 PM
nuke 50 BY BIRDMAN INDUSTRIES :) :)

I would say a 8 to 10 shot 12 Ga with slugs

montana_charlie
04-06-2015, 03:42 PM
What I want to know is "Who let the bears start arming themselves?"
Go back to Post #28. It's in something called the 2nd Amendment.
Even the Australians know about it ...

CM

w5pv
04-06-2015, 05:58 PM
After reading the posts,I would have to favor a 12 gauge with buckshot.

rking22
04-06-2015, 07:40 PM
A 10,,, Warthog that is :)