PDA

View Full Version : electronic game calls- need guidance

yammerschooner
03-10-2008, 12:21 AM
I got cancelled on for this morning's crow hunt, but had purchased a card for the call the gent I was going with has.

I've never hunted over an electronic call of this sort (I've used tapes on crows in the past). I will probably eventually move to hunting yotes and snow geese- someday.

Here is the call I already have the card for:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pr
oduct/standard-item.jsp;jsessionid=53WOTSPPXPXUJLAQBBKSCOFMCAEFMI WE?_DARGS=/cabel
as/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=null-cat20825_TGP&id=0039508228110a&navCou
nt=1&podId=0039508&parentId=cat20825&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UH&ri
d=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20825&hasJS=true&_requestid=145612 (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp;jsessionid=
53WOTSPPXPXUJLAQBBKSCOFMCAEFMIWE?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.js
p_A&_DAV=null-cat20825_TGP&id=0039508228110a&navCount=1&podId=0039508&parentId=
cat20825&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=
cat20825&hasJS=true&_requestid=145612)

I like the price, and am leary of the wireless because of apparent quality issues.

Should I just return the card, or should I pick up the wired caller?

Any other suggestions?

DanWalker
03-12-2008, 03:09 AM
I have been using that exact same caller for a few years now.
The only thing i don't like about it is I wish it was louder. My old Johnny stewart tape machine was 2x louder, at least. On windy days(about 1/2 the season here) I know my range will be severely limited.That being said, I have killed many coyotes over this machine. It works great. it has never failed to work, even in temps as a low as -25 below zero.
The real cool thing about it is that it can play two sounds at once. Makes a heck of a racket when yout set it up in the head of a ravine and let it blare down the gulley.
Hints, for using electronic callers(learn from my mistakes, it only took me 10 years to figure out what i was doing)
A turkey feather tied to a length of monofilament is the BEST visual decoy you can use. Ever seen a mojo duck in action? tie the feather from a limb above your speaker. the slightest breeze will make it flicker and flash. This focuses the coyotes attention on it instead of YOU. you can get away with quite a bit of motion sometimes, because he's almost mesmerised by the feather.
I usually set my speaker upwind of me.
Crows are so much fun with an electronic caller it's ridiculous. When I was shooting them in NC, It wasn't uncommon on a good stand to kill 20 at once. A cool trick we learned was that crows always come in at tree top level. Try setting up in some 8-10' pines sometime if you want absolutely insane close range wingshooting. We also learned not to shoot the first crow that showed up. he was the scout and would bring the whole flock in, once they saw him NOT getting shot. Once they start mobbing you, they seem to lose all fear, even of gunshots. I remember several instances where we all were shooting and reloading as fast as we could, while wave after wave of crows swarmed in, replenishing the ranks of those we were decimating.

twotrees
03-12-2008, 06:39 AM
It's good and the sounds work well, But I hate the cord !!!

I have mine in the "To do" can and will be replacing the cord with one that will take all the rolling and un-rolling.

Look at Fox Pro they are spendy, but great units.

Most of the Varmint hunter guys I know have long ago switched to these and love them. The remote model is a must. That way you can be under cover and not moving when you hit it. Also remote allows you to switch calls without moving.

Good Shooting,

TwoTrees