PDA

View Full Version : COWW or COWW + SOWW for 7.62x54r (not light loads)

rmcelwee
04-02-2015, 10:54 PM
I'm new and have only cast 45ACP (from range lead). I have a supply of coww/soww lead that I have cleaned up and put into molds. I wanted to melt some of the ingots this weekend and make some C312-155-2R for my Mosins. I haven't come up with a load yet but it will be a normal load. I will be using 30 cal gas checks and doing a red powder coat on the boolits. I've heard that I can do a 3:1 mix (CO:SO) and it should be fine but I want to double check before I cast 200 of them. Thanks!

1johnlb
04-02-2015, 11:11 PM
That's a lot of hungry Russians to feed. You might need more lead![smilie=s: a cast Ooh matic, and a partnership with a powder company.

Sounds like a plan, you'll enjoy that lee 155. It shoots good in just about every 30 cal I have, that it will fit. 3 to 1 should shoot fine as long as your not trying to break 2000 fps. With the pc you shouldnt have any leading anyway.

rmcelwee
04-03-2015, 12:51 AM
Since I have almost 7:1 co/so in my cache of lead I think I will spice it up a bit at a 4:1 ratio. I really need to get out and collect some more lead if I am going to continue this hobby. With four days off a week you would think I could have a nice collection but I am getting a little lazy (poor time management).

rmcelwee
04-03-2015, 12:54 AM
3 to 1 should shoot fine as long as your not trying to break 2000 fps. With the pc you shouldnt have any leading anyway.

I see that average milsurp for the Mosin shoots at around 2800 fps. I don't have anything to measure velocity with so it looks like I need to do some good research on loads for cast boolits.

I'd like to try my hand at some copper coating but that is a project for another day.

1johnlb
04-03-2015, 02:21 AM
My phone not letting me post the link, but if you haven't already you should read the Ed Harris write up in reduced loads.

Go up top of the page click in FORUMS

then scroll down GUNS AND SHOOTING and click on CAST BOOLIT LOADS /MILITARY RIFLES

Third sticky down CAST BOOLITS FOR MILITARY RIFLES

rmcelwee
04-03-2015, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the link!

I did end up casting 312 boolits tonight (funny because I used a .312 mold) with a 74% COWW mixture (3:1 ratio). I meant to make it a little harder but got off track somehow. I'll post a picture sometime...