PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa Gunshow

MBTcustom
04-02-2015, 07:29 PM
Looks like I will be attending the Tulsa Gunshow again next week. This will be my second time attending the biggest gunshow in the world.
Last time I extended a hearty invitation to the membership of this board, that if you see me, it would certainly make my day if you would shake my hand.
I would like to extend that invitation again to the members of this board.
You cant miss me. I'm the big guy with a blue collar, suspenders, a black Stetson hat and glasses with side shields.
This is me:
If you have trouble locating me, just follow the trail of cracked mirrors.
I'll also most likely be carrying a Hawkeye borescope case with big MBT letters on it.
Call me goodsteel, call me Tim, call me Mr. Malcolm, but get my attention, and shake my hand, and please sign my notebook!
Thank you very much, and I'll see you there!!!

sparky45
04-02-2015, 07:42 PM
I usually go every year with my Brother, but this year we are going to the Gun Show in Wichita KS. Not as big as the Tulsa show, but that's OK by me. Tulsa's show is WAY to big for me.
Anyhow, have a great time and I hope you do meet others from this board.
S45

Love Life
04-02-2015, 07:43 PM
My eyes!! My eyes!! Oh lawdy, my eyes!!

dolang1
04-02-2015, 09:35 PM
I'll look for you on Saturday.

twc1964
04-02-2015, 10:22 PM
Ive been wanting to go to tulsa for a while now. Maybe some day......drool

DLCTEX
04-02-2015, 11:02 PM
Wish I could make it this year, I'd like to shake you hand, brother.

Handloader109
04-02-2015, 11:07 PM
If my wife is feeling up to it, I'm headed over. Will look out for you...it IS a humongous show...

MBTcustom
04-02-2015, 11:13 PM
If my wife is feeling up to it, I'm headed over. Will look out for you...it IS a humongous show...

I'll be bunking with a nefarious bunch of neerdowells in Cave Springs Arkansas and heading over Saturday morning. I think I may be driving separate though in case I have to return with something big in the truck. [smilie=1:
LOL!

ozarkhillbilly49
04-03-2015, 12:53 AM
good steel i live in bentonville, just a few miles from cave.drop me a line and we will try to meet. im just a dumb hillbilly with no education but it would b good to meet you.

gmsharps
04-03-2015, 01:01 AM
The Tulsa show is always a good one to go to. 7 acres of stuff to drool over. I can't make it for the spring show but I plan to make the fall show. If you happen to be there I would like to shake your hand.

gmsharps

rockrat
04-03-2015, 10:42 AM
Oh, I'll bet you WILL probably carrying something BIG home with you, if I have anything to do with it!!:bigsmyl2:

MBTcustom
04-03-2015, 10:36 PM
Oh, I'll bet you WILL probably carrying something BIG home with you, if I have anything to do with it!!:bigsmyl2:

I told my buddys I was going to need to drive separate.
They asked me why.
I explained.
They said: "Oh".
LOL!

ssnow
04-03-2015, 10:46 PM
Hey Tim, I got the H&G bullet samples you sent yesterday. Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

I'd really like to go to the show tomorrow and meet you, but unfortunately, I just can't get away this weekend.

Maybe next time. I do plan on attending the fall show.

MBTcustom
04-03-2015, 11:09 PM
Glad you liked them. Sorry it took so long, but I had an exciting weekend getaway with my wife at an all expenses charged, super clean, super uncomfortable hotel (read hospital) right after I cast those bullets, so I was "let hitherto".
Too bad you won't be there. Maybe next time.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-04-2015, 01:18 PM
7 acres of gun stuff for sale and meet Tim !!!
That would be fun. I wish it wasn't so far away...a couple hundred miles would be doable for me ...but that would barely get me into Iowa :sad:

You guys have fun !

TXGunNut
04-04-2015, 03:49 PM
That sounds like almost too much of a good thing, last little show was more than I wanted to see. I'll have the pleasure of meeting you someday, Tim. Just not this weekend. BTW if you think hospitals are "superclean" you're misinformed, there are few better places to pick up a nasty bug or infection.

Grendl
04-04-2015, 04:42 PM
I am making plans for the fall show with a buddy or two, plus it's a chance to visit son in Shawnee on the way to Tulsa

rockrat
04-04-2015, 05:17 PM
ssnow, show is next weekend, not this weekend.

MBTcustom
04-05-2015, 09:40 AM
http://www.tulsaarmsshow.com/calendar.html

ssnow
04-05-2015, 10:01 AM
ssnow, show is next weekend, not this weekend.

Oops.....didn't look at the calendar. Unfortunately, next weekend is probably even worse for me :(

I'll be working near St. Louis this coming week, and most likely working Saturday also........but it really depends on the weather. If we are rained out, I'll be home.....If I'm home I could go......Tulsa is only 90 miles from home for me.

Anybody know a good rain dance ? :)

rockrat
04-05-2015, 12:25 PM
You might just get your wish. Supposed to snow in Denver on Thursday, so it could be raining/snowing in St. Louis , on Saturday

TXGunNut
04-05-2015, 10:46 PM
Going to the NASCAR races next weekend. If I was up that way I'd rather go to the Davis Museum. Awesome collection of frontstuffing long arms, among other things.

abunaitoo
04-06-2015, 12:22 AM
Only Gunshow I've been to, on the lower 48, was the last Great Western in kalafornicate.
I was in heaven.
How dose the Tulsa show compare to it????
Hopefully someday I'll get there.

rockrat
04-06-2015, 09:37 AM
Never made it to the Great Western.
If you take a little time to actually look at the wares, it will take you two days to go thru it.
You better take a pen/paper, cause if you see something you might want, you better write it down, where it is, otherwise, once you walk away, you won't find it again. Ask me how it know!!!

ssnow
04-06-2015, 07:17 PM
They advertise the Tulsa show as the worlds largest........Don't know about that, but that's what they say.

The last time I was there the place was packed......elbow to elbow. Too crowded. Of course, that was 2 years ago in the middle of the gun panic......Hopefully it won't be quite so crowded this time.

sparky45
04-06-2015, 07:31 PM
Take yourself some GOOD walking around shoes and if you go early Saturday morning be prepared to park quite aways from the venue and YES it's still "elbow to elbow".

abunaitoo
04-06-2015, 07:47 PM
The Great Western was like gun heaven.
There were 15 in our group from Hawaii.
We were staying in the hotel right next to the show.
Walk right into the show, buy something, walk right out into the hotel, walk back to the show.
Place was packed. One building had non firearm stuff. I bought a lot there.
Hotel people were great. Show people were great. Even the restaurant we ate at, the people were great.
Didn't feel we were in kakafornicate at all.

MBTcustom
04-12-2015, 08:22 PM
Gentlemen, it was a great time at the Tulsa gunshow.
I didn't cover even one tenth the territory that I did last year, but I met with some amazing members of this forum. It was fairly overwhelming because I wanted to spend 6 hours with each one, but only had a few moments.

I went to the show with member balkandom.
First I met lkydvl completely by accident. I was looking at some truly monstrous bullet molds on his table, and I asked if he was familiar with the castboolit website. Soon both our handles were known and sincere greetings were exchanged. He asked if I had met up with any of the other members there, which I had not. Soon I was shaking hands with sbowers and Mooseman. Then Bo1 came by. As I was enjoying putting faces to the names, Bjornb called me and told me that Brassmagnet was looking for me. Soon I was shaking hands with the man himself.
Later I was aproached by Beeman, and while we were talking and catching up ssnow walked up and introduced himself.
Finally, I had set up to meet with Rockrat and I did so, which was quite an experience all by itself.

To all those I met: Thank you for shaking my hand and meeting with me. I apologize for not having more time, but I will cherish the moments.

You cannot judge a book by its cover, and every single member I have met has been so much more than I expected, and nothing like I thought (as is always the case). I think that if each of us could meet the members of this forum face to face, it would be overwhelming.
One thing is for sure, we are in very good company here, and I am humbled to have been in the personal company of so many good men.
Thank you my friends!

lightman
04-12-2015, 09:43 PM
Unfortunately I could not make it this time. I have a regular group that usually goes and when I first started going I made something like 38 in a row. Then I missed one, made a few, missed one and so it goes. Maybe next time! I would have enjoyed meeting you there, or any of the other guys. I've met several celebrities there, like James Arness, Bill Jordan, Mike Radican of Bench Rest fame and General Tibbets to name a few.

TXGunNut
04-12-2015, 10:30 PM
Glad ya'll had a good time and a safe trip to and (hopefully) from the show. Weather looked a little ominous last I heard.

Idaho Mule
04-12-2015, 10:56 PM
goodsteel, sounds like a good time!! I always like meeting members from Cast Boolits. Sounds like too big of a show for my liking, but I would sure like to meet the fellow members. JW

BrassMagnet
04-13-2015, 06:55 AM
Only Gunshow I've been to, on the lower 48, was the last Great Western in kalafornicate.
I was in heaven.
How dose the Tulsa show compare to it????
Hopefully someday I'll get there.

The Great Western at the Pomona fairgrounds was bigger back when I was going there in the late 1980's. They got kalifornicated out of existence along with Second Amendment rights. Great Western also kept the totally unrelated sellers separate which was nice. If you wanted to go buy cheap, fake Indian jewelry, you could but it was out of the way and you still had a great selection.
Tulsa had lots of great gun stuff, knives, and military history items. I was impressed! Not too many moulds though! As far as true gun stuff, I would suspect Tulsa had more than the Great Western.

I found a 218 Bee 310 set all lonesome in a display case. Steel handles, boolit sizer, mint looking dies marked 172 and marked $75. The seller got them with a rifle and was dead set against ever using reloads. He told me people collected those. I told him I do, but I wasn't paying that price! I offered $50 and they are not lonely any longer. He just wanted them gone! I was happy to help him!
I found a 6.5/.264 mould I don't have. RCBS DC 26-140-SPL marked $45 and paid $40 from an inactive CastBoolits member that had to think for a while to remember his user name. I am terrible with names and I can't recall.
I got a nice MEC press from Mooseman.
I got to chat with Lkydvl for a while. Nice H&G gang moulds, but way too heavy for me to swing!
I found stripper clips that ranged in price from 10/$1 to 2/$1. 50 cents each is way too high and I don't think he was selling them.
I had a great time.
Thanks for the invite!
I got to meet some great members!

WILCO
04-13-2015, 08:39 AM
Great reports! Glad a good time was had. Thanks for sharing.

labdwakin
04-13-2015, 12:13 PM
I was glad to get to meet Goodsteel (Tim) at the show. The members that I know I saw there were: Goodsteel, lkydvl, Sbowers, Mooseman.

I messed up and left all my pain medication at home so by the end of Sunday I was in pretty sad shape. I still enjoyed myself though and picked up a few little trinkets here and there.

snuffy
04-14-2015, 12:31 PM
Anybody else see this?

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/crimewatch/three-arrested-as-new-video-surveillance-system-foils-thefts-at/article_8e9de3be-dae5-5d39-85d3-a16035dda2bf.html

Smile, you're on camera! Well at least you were---.

ssnow
04-15-2015, 12:19 AM
Well, as it turns out, St. Louis got hammered with rain last week, so I was able to go to the show. I guess the rain dance worked :) Don't tell the locals though, I think they got more than they wanted :)

I walked over to meet GoodSteel, and as an added bonus, Beeman and Balkandom were there.

I suppose I should apologize to Beeman, as it occurs to me now that I interrupted his conversation and time with Tim. But I'm not going to :) If I had not went when I did, then I would not have had the opportunity to meet Beeman.....that would have been regrettable. It was great to meet you Beeman!!!

GoodSteel, what can I say? The picture on the first page does him no justice......It doesn't show the quick smile, the hearty laugh, nothing of the soul that is made of some good stuff. It was great to meet you GoodSteel!!!

Tell Balkandom he needs to stop in and visit the forum more often. Great guy, I really enjoyed meeting him.

When you meet with some really good folks such as these, you soon realize that you just don't have enough time. I intend to get a table at the fall show, so maybe I will be able to see you all again then. Thanks guys, it was very nice to meet you all.

Bodean98
04-15-2015, 09:24 PM
goodsteel,
I read this thread too late! A friend and myself attended the show on saturday. Had I read this before going I would certainly looked you up.
We were on a mission and were looking for certain guns in particular. We managed to walk the whole show end to end on saturday. My friend didn't find what he was looking for but I found a like new marlin 1894 in 44 mag. that I purchased.
I have been to the show many times and it is always elbow to elbow. This year I noticed a large amount of people with back packs, many of which were very annoying. It's amazing how large those are when there is one sticking out from one's back and there is one of those guys on each side of the walkway. Darn near impassable.
Anyway, sorry I missed you and will try harder in the future.

MBTcustom
04-16-2015, 10:38 AM
I saw a nice 1894 44mag on a table just across from the concessions stand on the second level (would be on the left side as you climb the stairs). Buddy asked me to check it out for him, and I gave it the double thumbs up. If you got that one, congratulations!

starmac
04-16-2015, 02:54 PM
Maybe I missed it, but did you put something beeg in your pickup for the trip home? lol

MBTcustom
04-16-2015, 03:08 PM
Sho nuff.
Truck handled a lot better on the way home.:mrgreen:

Also picked up a nice JM 1895GBL for a buddy of mine. Before he got it, I stripped it down, and did a complete cowboy job on it.
4lb lever you can open with one finger, 3.5lb trigger pull, and no chewed up fingers from the loading gate.
It's a big shell shucker. Best way on earth to dump 1/2lb of lead into whatever is aggravating you.

Bodean98
04-16-2015, 10:04 PM
goodsteel,
I did see that one and if I remember correctly it was in very nice shape. I believe it was a 2009 model. The one I purchased was on the lower level. If you would have come in the north doors and headed straight south to row 9 there was a table with a couple of very nice Texicans with a nice selection of Marlins. They even had one of the 38 spl. cowboy competion models. The 1894 they had was as new and that is the one I got. It is a 2007 made gun.

starmac
04-17-2015, 12:36 AM
Sho nuff.
Truck handled a lot better on the way home.:mrgreen:

Also picked up a nice JM 1895GBL for a buddy of mine. Before he got it, I stripped it down, and did a complete cowboy job on it.
4lb lever you can open with one finger, 3.5lb trigger pull, and no chewed up fingers from the loading gate.
It's a big shell shucker. Best way on earth to dump 1/2lb of lead into whatever is aggravating you.

LOL That might be why there is several of them here.

b money
04-17-2015, 11:07 PM
Dumb question here but would this show be worth the 10hr drive it would take me to get there? I learned about this show from this very thread and after watching a few YouTube videos about it I think it might just be worth the drive. After all my local show is about 150-200 tables and the biggest one in the state is maybe 600-800 haha.

gmsharps
04-18-2015, 12:34 AM
Dumb question here but would this show be worth the 10hr drive it would take me to get there? I learned about this show from this very thread and after watching a few YouTube videos about it I think it might just be worth the drive. After all my local show is about 150-200 tables and the biggest one in the state is maybe 600-800 haha.

Definitely worth the trip. It really takes two days to see most of the things there but can be done in 1 day if you skim most tables. If you had time go see the Davis gun museum also.

gmsharps

Bodean98
04-18-2015, 07:02 AM
It would be your call as to whether or not it's worth the drive. I can only describe it and you decide.
It looks like sea of gun related "stuff". If you are looking for a bargain it wouldn't be the place I would go. If you want a certain firearm in a certain condition, it can probably be found there.
I like old marlins (DUH). I drooled over an 1895 model in 45-90 that had been restored. It was the big brother to my 1893. Deluxe take down model with fancy wood and full magazine tube. It was gorgeous! You don't even get to see many pictures of one of those. BTW it had a $40,000 asking price.
Plan to walk a lot and bump into a lot of back packs. You will also run into many rude folks. If you get hungry or thirsty be prepared to spend $15 for a $3 meal.
On the flip side you might have the opportunity to meet some of the fine folks from this site, see a firearm that is very rare and beautiful and even purchase it if you have the means. You could also meet and have your picture taken with Dan Haggerty or some other celebrity that they have attend the show.
If I was coming that distance I would definitely plan on staying 2 days. There is just sooo much it would be next to impossible to do it in one.

MBTcustom
04-18-2015, 05:22 PM
If you go both days and look over every table at the show, you'll only spend 15 seconds at each one.

b money
04-18-2015, 07:53 PM
Wow sounds like the show to be at. Sounds like it's also the place to get hard to find stuff as well. When is a better time to go? April or November?

MBTcustom
04-18-2015, 10:25 PM
The November show seems to always fall on opening day of modern gun deer season here in Arkansas, so it's definitely not an option for me. Your situation may be different.

b money
04-18-2015, 11:45 PM
The November show seems to always fall on opening day of modern gun deer season here in Arkansas, so it's definitely not an option for me. Your situation may be different.

Haha now that you mention that, I would be in the same boat. I didn't even think about deer season. And I already hunt 4hrs away from home so I definitely can't make to big trips in the same month.

TXGunNut
04-19-2015, 03:35 AM
Maybe I missed it, but did you put something beeg in your pickup for the trip home? lol

You beat me to it, starmac. When do you reckon we'll hear about Tim's new heavy metal?

bhop
04-19-2015, 09:10 AM
Hey guys if you come to the next Tulsa show come by the United States shooting academy and see me. I'll figure out some deals I can offer between now and then. Also a good place to buy brass.

starmac
04-19-2015, 11:20 PM
You beat me to it, starmac. When do you reckon we'll hear about Tim's new heavy metal?

Well I did get a SHO-NUFF, but the heavy metal must require a security clearance. lol